It Should Be Illegal To Signal For A First Down

ZornLargentPatera

Reaction score
I am tired of seeing the ballcarrier jump up and signal a first down in an excited, animated fashion. It should be a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. No signaling for a first down. That's the officials' job.

First of all it's gotten old, that shit is soooo played. Second of all it's corny. You look like an idiot. What do you want a ******* medal? You're supposed to try to pick up a first down, that's your job! You don't see the mailman dancing around like a mental patient every time he successfully delivers someone's mail, do you? Lastly, the whole purpose of the gesture is to show up your opponent, to "stick a finger in their eye," so to speak. It's literally unsportsmanlike!

Do away with the "yay I made a first down" gesturing.

m0ng0

Reaction score
Whoah Nelly the nuance is coming out now... our season must be over?

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
I am tired of seeing the ballcarrier jump up and signal a first down in an excited, animated fashion. It should be a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. No signaling for a first down. That's the officials' job.

First of all it's gotten old, that shit is soooo played. Second of all it's corny. You look like an idiot. What do you want a ******* medal? You're supposed to try to pick up a first down, that's your job! You don't see the mailman dancing around like a mental patient every time he successfully delivers someone's mail, do you? Lastly, the whole purpose of the gesture is to show up your opponent, to "stick a finger in their eye," so to speak. It's literally unsportsmanlike!

Okay, Karen.

Somos doces

Reaction score
... You don't see the mailman dancing around like a mental patient every time he successfully delivers someone's mail, do you?...
If there were 11 unchained, vicious dogs attacking the mail carrier and trying to prevent him/her from reaching the mailbox, yes, I think it would be entirely appropriate for the carrier to express a bit of elation after each successful delivery.

Slick

Reaction score
I find the first-down signaling kinda funny. I mean a guy will signal first-down for himself or his teammate even if he's 2-3 yards short.

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
The players should just be robots and have zero emotion whatsoever. Infact, they shouldn't even be allowed to speak or smile. Just line up and hold your breath. Become the living embodiment of a Madden simulation.

Threedee

Reaction score
I find the first-down signaling kinda funny. I mean a guy will signal first-down for himself or his teammate even if he's 2-3 yards short.
I'm a fan of dancing, pointing, and yelling something to the effect of "he did it!" every time there is a pre-snap penalty.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
And while we are at it no more signaling TD unless you are an official! Nobody wants to see excitement from the players anymore. They need to put their heads down like good soldiers and do just do their jobs! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Lagartixa

Reaction score
The players should just be robots and have zero emotion whatsoever. Infact, they shouldn't even be allowed to speak or smile. Just line up and hold your breath. Become the living embodiment of a Madden simulation.

I think you've been misled about the Madden series of NFL-simulation video games. It includes plenty of play-celebrating antics.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

200w
200w
2a3k5t19v6jhnyso2u2rpr2imv9g70g33f7sygo7lrid200w

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Illegal? No way. It's hilarious when someone points like they got a first when they are not even close.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score

SOMEONE IS HAVING FUN!!!!!!!! MAKE IT STOP!!!!!!
Oh the horror