It would be nice to re-sign someone before tomorrow

kidhawk

Reaction score
drdiags":1qeuqq5r said:
So when is the deadline for placing tenders on restricted free agents? I am thinking it has to be by tomorrow, to allow their agents to begin talks with interested teams just like the unrestricted free agents.

I keep expecting to see an announcement that the team has tendered Baldwin and was naively hoping there would be rumblings of the completion of an extension or two for the younger guys. I don't expect McDonald or McDaniels back, though others seem to think one or both will be. Things will be much clearer come next Tuesday or more likely by next Sunday after the first wave of signings have been signed. Though in all reality, the Seahawks will not have announced anything. They like to have the signed and league approved contract in hand before going public.

The deadline is basically the last possible minute. Before 4pm on March 11.

Here's a good reference for that type of information

[urltargetblank]http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8795630/p2014-nfl-key-dates-p[/urltargetblank]

Penman96

Reaction score
Clemons and Miller surely must have agreed a restructure, in principle at least. Otherwise they would be free agents by now.

Of course - that's just idle speculation

kidhawk

Reaction score
Penman96":356ze4ww said:
Clemons and Miller surely must have agreed a restructure, in principle at least. Otherwise they would be free agents by now.

We are well beneath the cap. Until we sign players that put us over the cap, there is no reason to release these guys. If Bennett doesn't re-sign here, you can bet that Clemons stays. His salary isn't atrocious and it's not long term, so we can handle it. What is too much would be paying Bennett, Clemons and Avril all at the same time. The only reason we did it last year was because Bennett didn't have much of a market and signed a low value offer. No reason to release guys until we have a replacement lined up, or a need for more cap room.

The reason Bryant was let go was due to his large bonus due in a few weeks. They didn't want to have to pay that. Releasing him now freed them of that responsibility.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Pete and John are not perfect (see Charlie Whitehurst and James Carpenter). However, in four years they have taken a horrible dysfunctional roster and turned it into a Super Bowl Championship roster that will likely have significant sustained success. In large part they have done this by bucking conventional wisdom and not rushing into decisions or panicking.

Sit back, relax, and watch them work.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Penman96":3ns7kssi said:

Both Clemons and Miller have leverage right now. Until they are replaced either through FA or the draft then they still have value to the Hawks, and thus won't take pay cuts.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I am at the point of just letting this FO do its thing then letting it play out. They are going to do some things that we don't like, they will have to, but they seem to know exactly what they are doing.

One thing about JS/PC, they draft for players and they systemically integrate rookies into the game once they are on board. It is a fact, they do it every year little by little. I am just going to sit back and remember that these guys know what they are doing.

JMR

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2hc6um4l said:
Penman96":2hc6um4l said:

Both Clemons and Miller have leverage right now. Until they are replaced either through FA or the draft then they still have value to the Hawks, and thus won't take pay cuts.

I don't think they have much leverage. They are both due quite a large chunk of base salary that is a lot more than what another team would pay them should they be cut, and the team would recoup significant cap space by letting them go. Clemons is past his prime and had a pretty serious knee injury a year ago. Miller is still in his prime but he's overpaid at $9 mill or whatever it is he's scheduled to make. He's not getting that anywhere else. The second we need cap space, these two are on the chopping block if they don't restructure.

Subzero717

Reaction score
JMR":j0ot50e1 said:
Sgt. Largent":j0ot50e1 said:
Penman96":j0ot50e1 said:

I don't think they have much leverage. They are both due quite a large chunk of base salary that is a lot more than what another team would pay them should they be cut, and the team would recoup significant cap space by letting them go. Clemons is past his prime and had a pretty serious knee injury a year ago. Miller is still in his prime but he's overpaid at $9 mill or whatever it is he's scheduled to make. He's not getting that anywhere else. The second we need cap space, these two are on the chopping block if they don't restructure.

I think the FO is in wait and see mode.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
JMR":1cve2u03 said:
Sgt. Largent":1cve2u03 said:
Penman96":1cve2u03 said:

I would also agree I could see Clem coming back if they don't sign Bennett and can't land Allen. Yes he wasn't at his best last year but let's not forget he came back from an ACL surgery in about 8-9 months, I expect him to be much better this year.

Latest posts