It's the Oline dummy

Hawks46

Reaction score
We all know Pete isn't going to fire Cable.

Cable has traditionally been very good in the run game, and poor in the pass game. Why can't they just hire a "pass protection coordinator" or something like that. Someone who is good in pass protection. Guy could improve our line, maybe teach Cable something, then bounce somewhere for an OL coaching job.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":3ulk01xq said:
sdog1981":3ulk01xq said:
Good article on fieldgulls today

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/1/28/144 ... te-carroll

As much as I hate to say it. This is Pete's frayed edge if he doesn't change anything his coaching seat will get hot next year and lead to his retire/fire at the end of 2018 (roughly 700 days from now)

LOL. Belichick replaced his Oline coach because #19 in sack rate was too awful for his standards, then his new coach took them to #6 this year?? Must be nice, huh Russell?
Cable in all his years as a Oline coach has never been better than #20 in pass protection, and usually is somewhere between #24 - #32.
Pete does not hold his coaches to the same standard as his players, so Cable will stay because of Lynch's success.

S-L-O-W to understand??.....Pete went after Tom Cable because of his ability to implement his (Pete's) Run First mindset.....Tom's system worked out well enough for the Seahawks to WIN a Super Bowl, and challenge for another the following year.
The argument against Tom here is, without Marshawn Lynch to pair up with an elusive Russell Wilson, his system is now showing it's tread wear....The fact that Russell Wilson has shown that he can produce extraordinary results (Playoffs 2 years in a row) without ML, while playing up behind a craptastic O-Line, has a way of throwing a plethora of doubts at getting rid of the one that brought you to both dances.
What WE perceive as Tom Cable and or Darryl Bevell as being inept, is not so cut & dried....IF Cable's Coaching of the O-Line shows some improvement next season, (and it very well could with some cohesiveness) who's going to have grounds for arguments to the contrary?

sondevil89

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1jhbsvai said:
Point is, I'd imagine they recognize and address the OL issue. Who knows how that impacts the team next year...

The truth is, I could never repay Pete for all the incredible joy he has brought to my life. Long after I am gone my sons will remember all the games we saw together and the day we all lost our voice screaming our heads off at the parade.

I "imagined" that they recognized the O-Line issue too...and then...this year happened. I am beginning to think that this is their fatal flaw.

chris98251

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1dehe0dn said:
Seymour":1dehe0dn said:
sdog1981":1dehe0dn said:
Good article on fieldgulls today

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/1/28/144 ... te-carroll

As much as I hate to say it. This is Pete's frayed edge if he doesn't change anything his coaching seat will get hot next year and lead to his retire/fire at the end of 2018 (roughly 700 days from now)

LOL. Belichick replaced his Oline coach because #19 in sack rate was too awful for his standards, then his new coach took them to #6 this year?? Must be nice, huh Russell?
Cable in all his years as a Oline coach has never been better than #20 in pass protection, and usually is somewhere between #24 - #32.
Pete does not hold his coaches to the same standard as his players, so Cable will stay because of Lynch's success.

S-L-O-W to understand??.....Pete went after Tom Cable because of his ability to implement his (Pete's) Run First mindset.....Tom's system worked out well enough for the Seahawks to WIN a Super Bowl, and challenge for another the following year.
The argument against Tom here is, without Marshawn Lynch to pair up with an elusive Russell Wilson, his system is now showing it's tread wear....The fact that Russell Wilson has shown that he can produce extraordinary results (Playoffs 2 years in a row) without ML, while playing up behind a craptastic O-Line, has a way of throwing a plethora of doubts at getting rid of the one that brought you to both dances.
What WE perceive as Tom Cable and or Darryl Bevell as being inept, is not so cut & dried....IF Cable's Coaching of the O-Line shows some improvement next season, (and it very well could with some cohesiveness) who's going to have grounds for arguments to the contrary?

Cable is a QB killer, he doesn't teach or ignores pass blocking, all you have to do is look at the casualty list of Oakland in the QB department when he was the Line Coach and Head Coach, it has transferred here as well.

In fact look at how beat up Elway was all the time with Gibbs and then Jake Plummer as well.

Seymour

Reaction score
scutterhawk":7vjy6pfl said:
S-L-O-W to understand??.....Pete went after Tom Cable because of his ability to implement his (Pete's) Run First mindset.....

No but you must be. What do you think because of Lynch's success was referring to? I choose less words is the only difference, that is all the obvious stuff. The Cable issue goes well beyond coaching only and into poor draft selection and assets given over time, and pathetic results. Believe what you want.

OP
OP
sdog1981

sdog1981

Reaction score
scutterhawk":vcq28v1g said:
S-L-O-W to understand??.....Pete went after Tom Cable because of his ability to implement his (Pete's) Run First mindset.....

There is the problem sport. You are S-L-O-W to understand that the Seahawks won I-N S-P-I-T-E of Tom Cable and his anti-coaching.

Now please follow this up with your standard "He has no talent to work with" post. So I can counter it with he has had 12 draft picks and 50 free agents to work with post.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
sdog1981":1rc0qcos said:
scutterhawk":1rc0qcos said:

There is the problem sport. You are S-L-O-W to understand that the Seahawks won I-N S-P-I-T-E of Tom Cable and his anti-coaching.

Now please follow this up with your standard "He has no talent to work with" post. So I can counter it with he has had 12 draft picks and 50 free agents to work with post.
Disagree all you want, UNDER TOM CABLE, we have 2 Super Bowl Challenges IN A ROW, and that suggests to all who are paying attention, that it's YOU who are the one that is mistaken...Pete KNOWS better than you or I do, "sport" :roll:
IF Pete shags Cable out of the Coaching staff, then it's a whole different story, but until then, you like many others, are speculating from the bleachers, eh?

Josea16

Reaction score
Hawks46":1biu7hj0 said:
We all know Pete isn't going to fire Cable.

Cable has traditionally been very good in the run game, and poor in the pass game. Why can't they just hire a "pass protection coordinator" or something like that. Someone who is good in pass protection. Guy could improve our line, maybe teach Cable something, then bounce somewhere for an OL coaching job.
Not what I'd call a good mix in league slanted heavily to pass while in a division filled with good to elite pass rushing defenses. All the while having a top 5 quarterback being paid 20M a year with elite skill position players at WR/TE all being paid nicely with the TE being paid top money. It is their fatal flaw if something doesn't change this year, it will be why Pete will be gone after 2018, legacy pretty much destroyed because of waste of a special group of players not less then three being generational talents at their positions.

cymatica

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2ylvwlaa said:
sdog1981":2ylvwlaa said:
scutterhawk":2ylvwlaa said:

Disagree all you want, UNDER TOM CABLE, we have 2 Super Bowl Challenges IN A ROW, and that suggests to all who are paying attention, that it's YOU who are the one that is mistaken...Pete KNOWS better than you or I do, "sport" :roll:
IF Pete shags Cable out of the Coaching staff, then it's a whole different story, but until then, you like many others, are speculating from the bleachers, eh?

Under Tom Cable we have an injured Wilson, one of the worst qb pressure rates, a bad running game without Lynch(100+ yards one game then 50 the next is bad), constant missed assignments and whiffs, etc.

If you want to make an argument for coaches based off SB appearances, go with Quinn. His only 2 years here were SB years, now he's there again with Atlanta. You think Cable could have taken Atlanta there?

Seymour

Reaction score
scutterhawk":udrvyhlc said:
Disagree all you want, UNDER TOM CABLE, we have 2 Super Bowl Challenges IN A ROW, and that suggests to all who are paying attention, that it's YOU who are the one that is mistaken...

Which worked OK when we were run first and had Lynch. Now we are paying our QB $20M, and Baldwin, Graham, and Kearse a bundle of cash, and Cable's weakness is rearing it's ugly head because he (his olines) cannot pass protect. May as well bring Tebow in and dump Graham and Baldwin for all the good these guys can do with the crap oline protection. Times have changed, the team has changed, and Cable and his incompetence in pass blocking remains the same. And our new bonus is that they cannot run block either! Sad, and the kiss of death if it continues IMO.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
The one thing that troubles me more than anything else about our offensive line is how our tackles are so slow to movement. Teams will run a stunt or bring a backer through the gap and if it's not right in front of Gilliam, Fant, Sowell or Odhiambo, they'll let that player zoom right by while blocking no one in space or inexplicably trying to double team on the inside. When they realize that they missed their assignment, they'll lunge too late or trail the defender as he's bearing in on Russ. This is why I think the ZBS was just too complicated for them in their first year as a unit. Just too much to think about instead of taking more of a common sense approach such as covering your gap or just locking onto a man and sticking with him.

OP
OP
sdog1981

sdog1981

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":wjr7ghvj said:
The one thing that troubles me more than anything else about our offensive line is how our tackles are so slow to movement. Teams will run a stunt or bring a backer through the gap and if it's not right in front of Gilliam, Fant, Sowell or Odhiambo, they'll let that player zoom right by while blocking no one in space or inexplicably trying to double team on the inside. When they realize that they missed their assignment, they'll lunge too late or trail the defender as he's bearing in on Russ. This is why I think the ZBS was just too complicated for them in their first year as a unit. Just too much to think about instead of taking more of a common sense approach such as covering your gap or just locking onto a man and sticking with him.

Have to agree with you on this point. You could see it when the other team would run a stunt the Seahawks linemen would just stand there allowing a defender to run right past them.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/1/17/142 ... -tom-cable

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
sdog1981":lf2iyztl said:
Siouxhawk":lf2iyztl said:

Have to agree with you on this point. You could see it when the other team would run a stunt the Seahawks linemen would just stand there allowing a defender to run right past them.

Yes and that usually was a direct line to Russ for a sack or a hurry. That just cannot happen.

Seymour

Reaction score
sdog1981":3p8a8ulu said:

And that is not even the alarming part. The real red flag was this type of error happened again, and again, and again, and even by seasons end was still happening way too often. Why would anyone in their right mind expect that these things will magically disappear next year just because they are now in year 2? Nothing I saw indicates these problems and more will not be facing us square in the face next season. These are coaching problems, and I fully expect them for the most part to continue.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Is it Britt's responsibility to identify and call pass protection schemes to the OLine? This would have been his first year doing that, so could the missed assignments be partially attributed to that?

OP
OP
sdog1981

sdog1981

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2z9xg16z said:
Is it Britt's responsibility to identify and call pass protection schemes to the OLine? This would have been his first year doing that, so could the missed assignments be partially attributed to that?

For once I would like to see the presumptive Oline combo from July stay the same through the preseason. Don't be cute don't be fancy just execute.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I think during the divisional game in Atlanta, the commentators were saying that the Seahawks oline struggled all season when defenses used the stunts, moving around prior to the snap etc. I think coaching plays a lot into that especially if there is no improvement from preseason game 1 to playoff game 2. Not seeing how Cable manages to keep his job year after year of this stuff. PC/JS must be scared of Cable punching them or something.

OP
OP
sdog1981

sdog1981

Reaction score
hawkfan68":vq4giybx said:
I think during the divisional game in Atlanta, the commentators were saying that the Seahawks oline struggled all season when defenses used the stunts, moving around prior to the snap etc. I think coaching plays a lot into that especially if there is no improvement from preseason game 1 to playoff game 2. Not seeing how Cable manages to keep his job year after year of this stuff. PC/JS must be scared of Cable punching them or something.

Cable should have been fired after he cut Patrick Lewis for Drew Nowak last season. Only to bring Patrick Lewis back as the starter after the bye week to go 6-2 down the stretch with an offense that could protect Wilson and score points at will. How he could keep his job after that debacle is beyond me.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Fellows, please don't ruin a good discussion by resorting to personal comments and Ad Hominem argument. Frankly I agree with the above post that the thread is somewhat insulting because we've been talking about the problems with the OLine for a very long time here. Very few of us are dummies, and few of us here deserve the pergorative 'sport'. Please make your points w/o resorting to personal comments.

Yes, Coach Cable improved the running game when Lynch was still playing but it is arguable that he has not helped much with pass pro or that he has been very solid at picking the horses to play in 'his scheme which rather clearly under performed this last season. His recent performance however would or should be the subject of a sober review in most other business circumstance. The very inconsistent play of the OLine this last season should at least have part of the blame therefor placed squarely at the feet of Coach Cable, personnel, the OC, Pete, and JS. However, the OLine is Coach Cable's show and it was not pretty to watch this last season. Change needs to occur.

xgeoff

Reaction score
I personally don't think Pete is any danger, though I am sure an 0-16 season would change that in a hurry. On Cable, I think he needs to go. Because he has shown an inability to evaluate talent. Because he has shown an inability to protect our most expensive asset (Russ). Do I think that we have won in spite of Cable and could continue to do so? Yes, I do. But I really think a more effective approach is to upgrade the line by changing the OLine coaching staff.

That doesn't mean I don't think the Line has a lot of potential right now. Fant, Glowinski and Ifedi have great physical tools. I'm not sure about their football skills. Britt has found his spot. Gilliam has to go, but if the rest of those guys gel, I think we can find a someone in the draft of through free agency. But I have no faith that Cable will be able to identify talent that we need or identify talent in the draft.