J. Lane vs D. Shead ...to fight for CB spot ...

Vetamur

Reaction score
I think Lane may be slightly better outside, but as a team the best seems to be with Shead outside and Lane in the slot. If Lane is outside, we lose more going to Burley there than we gain having Lane outside. I also think Shead is coming around fine and will continue to improve where as Lane has probably already plateaued.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Tical21":3g6xb0tl said:
Shead's been pretty good, but you simply can't go with him, not as the stakes climb. He can't learn the one thing that will keep him from ever being a good corner in our scheme. Since we mandate that our corners have deep responsibility, and we're going to play some teams that can get the ball down the field, namely Washington and Arizona, we just can't start a corner that has no chance. If he has a 7 yard start on Desean Jackson and Cousins throws a go route 55 yards down field, Jackson is going to beat Shead to the spot. I'm a huge fan of Shead, but starting him at corner throughout the playoffs would be the death of us. We'd have to play a lot more cover-2, and try our best to hide him from faster receivers. I don't even like Shead against Ginn. He's just not fast enough to be a corner.

Even after factoring in his holding penalties, somehow Browner was able to thrive across from Sherman. He was taller and heavier than Shead.

I would take 2013 Browner over Lane and Shead any day.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":1uw61y3v said:
Tical21":1uw61y3v said:
Shead's been pretty good, but you simply can't go with him, not as the stakes climb. He can't learn the one thing that will keep him from ever being a good corner in our scheme. Since we mandate that our corners have deep responsibility, and we're going to play some teams that can get the ball down the field, namely Washington and Arizona, we just can't start a corner that has no chance. If he has a 7 yard start on Desean Jackson and Cousins throws a go route 55 yards down field, Jackson is going to beat Shead to the spot. I'm a huge fan of Shead, but starting him at corner throughout the playoffs would be the death of us. We'd have to play a lot more cover-2, and try our best to hide him from faster receivers. I don't even like Shead against Ginn. He's just not fast enough to be a corner.

Even after factoring in his holding penalties, somehow Browner was able to thrive across from Sherman. He was taller and heavier than Shead.

Yeah, it's not about quickness or speed. Shead is not slow (4.53 40, 6.76 three-cone), but he displays a lot of wasted movement because his technique as a corner has been so undeveloped. Lane is leaps and bounds ahead of him in technique, even though he has played more nickel than boundary.

I don't get the hate for Burley at NCB either . . . dude is a good athlete with solid technique who has been playing very well.

Tical21

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":14ne416f said:
Tical21":14ne416f said:

Browner also had decent straight line catch-up speed. The Steelers receivers just ran right past Shead. He fought his butt off to break up some passes, but he very easily could have given up 250 and 3-4 scores that night.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":uva7d9lb said:

I've been thinking of Shead in relation to Browner, b/c of his size. For those watching the all-22, does Shead get a decent jam on his guys at the LoS? Is he being asked to do that?

Hawks46

Reaction score
drrew":328mrtq1 said:
What King Dog said.

Shead is huge for a CB. At 6'2 220lb he has 2 inches 30lbs on Lane.

Yea, you guys beat me to it. I was like "WTF?!"

It's a good idea for competition, but the problem with Shead is that he's played CB, SS and FS so far. He's decent at all of them, but hasn't gotten concentrated reps at any one position for one year in his NFL career. If we want to see his potential, they need to put him at one spot and keep him there all year, let him season and get game experience.

Lane is good, but he's best in the slot (at least the best we have, and one of the best in the league). I like the competition, but my theory is that Shead hasn't hit his ceiling yet. I was actually excited to see how he'd do at back up SS (and potential starter, I think Kam is gone next year) but McCray looks pretty good after his first NFL start.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
When did Lane become an outside corner?

I don't see this as Lane vs. Shead, two different CB's. Pete loves Lane as the floating nickel and dime CB playing the slot and helping Shead's side.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Carroll said cornerback DeShawn Shead, who started despite an ankle injury, then left the game after just four plays, should be fine this week. But while Shead is expected to be healthy this week, Carroll indicated that there are no guarantees that he keeps the starting job at right cornerback that he won earlier this season in a competition with Cary Williams.

Shead was replaced in the game by Jeremy Lane, who has been the nickel corner since returning from the physically unable to perform list, and who played well enough that the competition will be on this week.

“We’ll see how that goes this week,” Carroll said. “We’ll let those guys battle.”

On Lane’s play, Carroll said, “He did a good job. He was very consistent in his coverage. Looked quick, technique-wise he was really solid, stayed on top really well, covered guys throughout. He did a good job. Tackling could be a little bit better, but all in all he did a very good job for us.”

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2015/12/21 ... ng-another

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think a couple of people already mentioned it but I think Lane starts and moves inside when needed depending on personnel. Sherman has been much better this year than people realize too. Kam/Earl need to tighten it up a little and the secondary will be very good in the playoffs.

OP
OP
J

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Do you think the corner opposite Sherman would depend on the other team's receivers?
As has been mentioned already, I have a hard time seeing Shead stay with Desean Jackson or Ted Ginn.
If there is a guy on our team, who can stay with those guys, it is Lane.
Is speed more important than size?

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2vk6jc1w said:
When did Lane become an outside corner?

I don't see this as Lane vs. Shead, two different CB's. Pete loves Lane as the floating nickel and dime CB playing the slot and helping Shead's side.

He's as good at that spot as anyone on the roster not named Sherman...better, IHMO He also has the requisite speed to stay with anyone.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
joeseahawks":3ktlja4r said:
Do you think the corner opposite Sherman would depend on the other team's receivers?
As has been mentioned already, I have a hard time seeing Shead stay with Desean Jackson or Ted Ginn.
If there is a guy on our team, who can stay with those guys, it is Lane.
Is speed more important than size?

I feel Lane has developed into the 'complete package.' He's always been able to stay with the shifty guys, yet he has the speed and requisite length to play on the outside. He'd be my first choice at LCB, and I'd have him shadow a player like Ginn.