Jalen Catalon, S, Arkansas

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
I like what I'm seeing from this guy, has a lot of fight in him and is very instinctual and like a rocket when he hones in on the ball carrier, very physical. Has the same physical attributes as a former Safety we had (5'10", 201 lbs). Could be a nice diamond in the rough if we nab him with a day 3 pick, would like to see what he can do in the FS position,

Student of the game, hits the film room often and is currently one of the team's Captains. Scouting report below:

Scouting Report: Strengths​

• Flashes impressive closing speed when attacking the ball.
  • Aware in the red zone, stays on the back line to take away fade throws. Capable of making quarterbacks pay for late throws.
  • Twitchy player with fluid hips, shows short-area quickness able to cover well in man-to-man coverage against slot receivers
  • Good instincts and anticipation reads and reacts with discipline. Dangerous with the ball in his hands.
  • Smart player who understands the nuances of coverage schemes
  • Closes to the ball quite well and possesses the hands to snatch throws away from his frame.
  • Really solid tackler and doesn't get run through by RBs
  • Very solid in coverage and has shown the ability to outmuscle receivers for the ball
  • Aware zone cornerback who is also adept in man coverage, flashing physical hand punch at the line and straight-line speed to stay with receivers downfield.

Scouting Report: Weaknesses​

• Has tense ankles and hips with choppy footwork when attempting to redirect and doesn't always look natural changing directions.
  • Lacks ideal size and is quite short for the safety spot.
  • The 2018 injury may be a question mark for NFL teams - missed nearly the entire senior year with an ACL tear
  • Inconsistent getting off of blocks. Can be a step slow to react when a quarterback comes back to his side of the field late in progression.
  • Needs to tighten his angles in pursuit. Needs to show better tackling technique to consistently finish.
  • Has a high backpedal and loses a step in transition. Plays with adequate speed but there are concerns about his ability to handle the truly explosive speedsters of the NFL.
  • Quite inexperienced - has played only 19 games as of writing