James Carpenter Is Going To Beast 2014

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":kfnl1fru said:
Pandion Haliaetus":kfnl1fru said:
Eh, Cable said Carpenter's last 4 games of 2014 were the best of his career.

Is that really saying much?

It's Cable blowing smoke up our skirts. Carpenter got benched for the Saints game, remember? He wasn't even active for one of his final 4 games.

OP
OP
P

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Although I believe Carpenter might put together a dominant season barring any setbacks, he doesn't have to dominant to be a great improvement over last year's Carpenter.

He just needs to improve upon three things:

1. Consistency- Obviously being healthy and able to actually work out over this off-season physically and mentally is huge for him but getting back to football and finishing the '13 season and getting all that experience was a giant stepping stone. And the more he can work, the more he can prepare, the more consistent he'll probabally become.

2. Effort- This is where dropping all that weight and improving his fitness level thus far in the off-season will help him. Being overweight made him slow, he couldn't get to the 2nd level, finish blocks, and fatigued pretty quickly in the last two seasons he played. Getting down to 315 is a great achievement for a guy who started the past two seasons out of shape at 340+. Furthermore, he also has the best motivational tool slapping him in the face and likely keeping him on his toes: Money. The crossroad is work hard and prove you can be a starter in this league and make modest money on your next contract at best. Or continue to linger in a lack of effort that will likely put him out of the league at worst. Which road he takes and how much effort he puts into this season is up to him, and he looks to be doing all the right things for himself so far.

3. Attitude- For me this could be the biggest one and that's getting rid of that pyschological fear of his injury and just go out and be natural. A lot of his problem last season was he was too tenative and hesitant... and that made him slow minded along with being slow footed. If he can get past his injury, mentally, and just play mean, play aggressive, and bring the nasty...he can be as dominant as anyone in this league if he's consistent and also giving 100% effort.

It will all add up one way or another, and as in another it might not add up at all but I continue to believe in the positive and continue to believe that some of these malaligned players can possibly fulfill their potential and get better. And someone like Carpenter he has temendous potential its just his injuries/setbacks have put mental and physical limitations and handicaps on his development. If he can get past those issues, he'll in the least be solid with flashes of being dominant maybe not greatlike everyone expects out lf a first rounder. But I would accept average from him over what he has provided in year's past... average is great improvement for him... but yeah I still think he can dominant at LG if he goes ALL IN .

Also, it will help in tremendous if the LT and C can stay healthy, be stable, and put in great years... it probably didn't help his cause that McQuistan was horrible at LT and Unger because of injuries put in a below average year.

Seahawker86

Reaction score
My prediction for this year and next for Carp.

Carp will have a stellar year. He will win the starting spot, have a great year, and help lead us to another Superbowl.

He will then command a high end dollar for his one year wonder. There will be a desperate team that will pay it and we will lose him to free agency, which I'm totally fine with.

We will get a 5th round comp pick for him the following year. Also, we draft his replacement in the first round next year.

Archive it. I want credit when he all happens

Seahawker86

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2wf3i46b said:
Pandion Haliaetus":2wf3i46b said:
That's your opinion I guess but it will be up to Carpenter and not the opinion of fans of a player who has struggled with injuries, and consequently with weight problems and slow development because of it.

I see a guy who in his first true off-season (lock-out, rehab, rehab, now healthy) who got much needed experience and confidence starting 18 of 19 games last year and has now worked his ass off (literally) to get into great shape (a huge 315) and do the things mentally (Carroll's assessment) to progress towards his potential.

Maybe he doesn't like many want to believe but with a contract and his NFL livelihood on the line, he has all the motivation he needs to go ALL IN for this team in 2014.

And early reports look great for Carpenter and he still has a couple a months to improve...he's definitely light years ahead from where he was last year, rehabbing his knee at 350+ pounds.

What I can't fathom though is how quickly Seahawk fans give up on their own guys especially ones who have gone through injury hardships that have derailed their career. Its a little unsettling.

I guess you weren't on here during Shaun Alexander's last couple of years. The way some on here turned on him was eye-opening. If you had been through that, then knowing these Carpenter views are not surprising. While the Seahawk fans are great when the going is good, some will turn on a dime on a player when they are having issues with injuries, etc. Even if the player is a former MVP and one of the reasons they went to their first SB. They did that to Hasselbeck too in his final years here. Two examples of players who gave their all to the franchise and how they were treated during their down years here. As proud to be a Seahawk fan as I am, sometimes my Seahawk brethen disappoint me. It is what it is.

I am totally with you on this. Everyone is a Debbie downer mostly and lose faith pretty quickly. At the time I really loved both Alexander and Hass, and was extremely upset when Hass wasn't resigned.

Alexander though, after we lost most of the pieces of our O-lineman he just had no where to go. He's not the bruiser that Lynch is where it doesn't matter if he is caught I'm the backfield BC he is turning it into positive yardage.

I go back and watch games from time to time. The thing I noticed that Lynch is undoubtedly is a better running back than Shaun Alexander. If we had that O-lineman with Lynch we would win 3 Superbowls easily until we lost players to FA.

strohmin

Reaction score
kthebestwayw":3h8y3t3a said:
hawkfan68":3h8y3t3a said:
Pandion Haliaetus":3h8y3t3a said:
That's your opinion I guess but it will be up to Carpenter and not the opinion of fans of a player who has struggled with injuries, and consequently with weight problems and slow development because of it.

I see a guy who in his first true off-season (lock-out, rehab, rehab, now healthy) who got much needed experience and confidence starting 18 of 19 games last year and has now worked his ass off (literally) to get into great shape (a huge 315) and do the things mentally (Carroll's assessment) to progress towards his potential.

Maybe he doesn't like many want to believe but with a contract and his NFL livelihood on the line, he has all the motivation he needs to go ALL IN for this team in 2014.

And early reports look great for Carpenter and he still has a couple a months to improve...he's definitely light years ahead from where he was last year, rehabbing his knee at 350+ pounds.

What I can't fathom though is how quickly Seahawk fans give up on their own guys especially ones who have gone through injury hardships that have derailed their career. Its a little unsettling.

I guess you weren't on here during Shaun Alexander's last couple of years. The way some on here turned on him was eye-opening. If you had been through that, then knowing these Carpenter views are not surprising. While the Seahawk fans are great when the going is good, some will turn on a dime on a player when they are having issues with injuries, etc. Even if the player is a former MVP and one of the reasons they went to their first SB. They did that to Hasselbeck too in his final years here. Two examples of players who gave their all to the franchise and how they were treated during their down years here. As proud to be a Seahawk fan as I am, sometimes my Seahawk brethen disappoint me. It is what it is.

I am totally with you on this. Everyone is a Debbie downer mostly and lose faith pretty quickly. At the time I really loved both Alexander and Hass, and was extremely upset when Hass wasn't resigned.

Alexander though, after we lost most of the pieces of our O-lineman he just had no where to go. He's not the bruiser that Lynch is where it doesn't matter if he is caught I'm the backfield BC he is turning it into positive yardage.

I go back and watch games from time to time. The thing I noticed that Lynch is undoubtedly is a better running back than Shaun Alexander. If we had that O-lineman with Lynch we would win 3 Superbowls easily until we lost players to FA.

I never really liked Shaun Alexander after his whole "I got stabbed in the back" comment. He seemed selfish and full of himself.

Jville

Reaction score
This is the time of the year for optimism. The reports on both starting guards have been positive.

Carpenter has dropped 15 pounds which can only help his quickness and endurance. Meanwhile, Sweezy has added 15 pounds of strength which should enhance his power and sand. Neither are stagnant in their development. Both are headed in the correct directions. And, there is certainly sufficient competition should either of them falter.

Looking forward to seeing the results on the field.

Donn2390

Reaction score
One would have to be a complete fool to take Carroll and Cable's opinion over the know it all fans, so it looks like Carp is finished..! Now I hate him too...!

hawk45

Reaction score
Carp having a good year would be the surprise of my life. It's reached the point where anyone attempting to defend him has to resort to the old Curry argument, "he's decent, you just can't see it unless you have the secret decoder ring."

Sweezy isn't the greatest either but in his case expectations were a lot lower so his struggles are easier to tolerate. The OL seems to be the only position where our FO misses more than connects, perhaps because they listen to Cable who knows. PS I like Cable's ability to construct a good run blocking line out of scraps, but he's a liability in the draft room.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do."-Henry Ford.

kearly

Reaction score
I remember Carpenter being sort of "okay" last season, though his inability to pull block seemed like a deal breaker.

Pandion Haliaetus may be putting the cart ahead of the horse a bit, but I think Carpenter's newfound weight control could be a big factor in helping fix his problems.

Seattle is in sore need of ass kickers in the interior, and they didn't draft one. Carp may have a lot of issues, but one on one he's a road grader. His pass pro is better than people think, and if he could just stay healthy and not be a huge liability as a pull blocker, he'd be a nice player.

Yes, that's a lot of ifs, but I hold some optimism for the fact that really all of Carps problems are based on his lack of self-discipline and weight control, which appears to be something he has a grasp on for the moment. Even Big Mike Williams gave us one nice season when he stayed in shape.

On the other hand, can we trust Carp to show this motivation when it's not a contract year? Even if he plays well this year, I would be surprised if Seattle signed him back.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
We couldn't run at all last year through that left A gap; fortunately, Lynch would just read the (lack of) blocking and find a seam outside. Per PFF's admittedly flawed grading system, Carpenter had by far the worst run blocking rating on the team and one of the worst in the league: -13.7. Rookie Michael Bowie had the best rating: +7.1.

Hopefully, being in a smaller weight class will lead to more explosiveness off the line from Carpenter and better technique, rather the stall out and give up technique he used for much of last season.

Now it looks like Bowie is the one who needs to round himself into shape if he hopes to progress off a successful rookie season.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3qp4506t said:
Still lots of potential to be tapped into, finally healthy, and now playing for a new contract:

http://m.seahawks.com/s/30860/260?itemPos=3&itemUri=502402398/14151411159115011141210903106713

121004-carpenter.jpg
I hate to be anal about this, but I don't understand why people keep using phrases like "finally healthy" when talking about injury-prone players.

How many times did hawk fans talk about Rice "finally being healthy" only to see him injured again??

Players like Carpenter and Rice are never "healthy" they are simply "inbetween injuries".

In other words, Carp just hasnt suffered his next injury yet.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
We were all up in Chris Gray's business too before he became a staple on the o-line.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
I have nothing against Carpenter. I've made comments last year about his poor play, especially when he would miss his first block and would be standing around rather than looking to hit someone in secondary. This is a drive that is lacking mentally and to be Beast Mode you have to have the utmost desire to make the opposing defense pay. Being a contract year, Mr. Carpenter is listening and heading in the right direction from what I read, but to be Beast is premature. Good luck Carp!

jammerhawk

Reaction score
It's clearly a positive he appears to be in much better shape than he has been since being drafted. Add that to a sense for him he now understands what he needs to do at his position and that he is a LG and nothing else. Being now healthy after 2 1/2 seasons of being on the limp with knee problems after an injury free college career will also help him. If nothing else he will be much improved playing at 315-320 instead of 350 and may finally look like the guy the team thought they'd drafted. If that happens he will command a nice contract after this season either here or elsewhere. If elsewhere the team may recoup a comp pick the following draft.

There is little doubt that when Carp is motivated and prepared he can play at a high level. Sadly for him that has been few and far between in his career here so far. He needs to have a great season to get paid as a starting OG, and has to now been overpaid for the job done by him so far. He has the potential to be quite good but has had issues that have prevented that from happening.

The guy I'm more concerned about on our OLine at present is Okung who once again is dealing with yet another injury requiring time off. The RT position remains a real question mark as well.