Jarran Reed

Seymour

Reaction score
HawkerD":340a5qh5 said:
Seymour":340a5qh5 said:
luigi_sal":340a5qh5 said:
If we add Dion Jordan's return to the mix, what Freeney still has in the tank and some plays of Branden Jackson and Quinton Jefferson, should be a really promising defensive line. Next year, we will probably replace Sheldon Richardson with Malik McDowell and we are ready to go, maybe with another DE to substitute Cliff Avril

You will find that to be an unpopular opinion here, but given the salary chatter of $12M+ for Richardson, I hope (and believe) you are correct here. McDowell's impact will be the deciding factor though, and that is unproven. Richardson is a nice solid contributor, but worth nowhere near that IMO. Bennett averages $10M with his new contract, and around $8M prior to that as a comparison.

Not saying this won't happen but Holy crap a second round pick for a rental player??? That is almost as bad a trade as the Harvin fiasco.

I agree and questioned if we would be able to keep him day 1 because of that. I expected to see a greater impact out of him myself. Did you notice a $12M+ dropoff with him out last week? I didn't.

I would call him good / solid.
I would not call him dominant / elite.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Seymour":2x3xpm5u said:
Did you notice a $12M+ dropoff with him out last week? I didn't.

We lost. Although we produced 6 sacks, you can say if Richardson was in on that last drive he might have changed the outcome of the game.

chris98251

Reaction score
Seymour":1o1ler5f said:
HawkerD":1o1ler5f said:
Seymour":1o1ler5f said:
luigi_sal":1o1ler5f said:
If we add Dion Jordan's return to the mix, what Freeney still has in the tank and some plays of Branden Jackson and Quinton Jefferson, should be a really promising defensive line. Next year, we will probably replace Sheldon Richardson with Malik McDowell and we are ready to go, maybe with another DE to substitute Cliff Avril

You will find that to be an unpopular opinion here, but given the salary chatter of $12M+ for Richardson, I hope (and believe) you are correct here. McDowell's impact will be the deciding factor though, and that is unproven. Richardson is a nice solid contributor, but worth nowhere near that IMO. Bennett averages $10M with his new contract, and around $8M prior to that as a comparison.

Not saying this won't happen but Holy crap a second round pick for a rental player??? That is almost as bad a trade as the Harvin fiasco.

I agree and questioned if we would be able to keep him day 1 because of that. I expected to see a greater impact out of him myself. Did you notice a $12M+ dropoff with him out last week? I didn't.

He is the kind of player that eats blockers up, makes run stops and pushes the pocket, may get an occasional sack, you don't pick up guys that handle double and triple teams and still make plays off the waiver wire, you don't get guys require additional blockers to handle and free up LB's, DT's and DE's to make splashy plays and look really good to where casual fans will state they are great resign him and cut the guy not getting sacks.

On defense he is just as important as a shut down corner and a safety like Earl, and he is just getting started here in Seattle.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2in4thvh said:
Reed is playing like he wants a second contract. And if he keeps up his current trajectory, he's going to be worth it.

Naz Jones is playing like a stud.

I was cautiously optimistic with our draft this year. Particularly having missed out on Kevin King who I felt (and still do) would have been an ideal seahawk CB. However despite losing McDowell -- the current value we have with Pocic, Griffin and Jones makes this draft a good draft already.

I hope Richardson resigns. And I hope McDowell recovers and begins his career. I think right now, with Reed, Richardson and Jones, we have the deepest interior DL group we've really ever had. McDowell would just be making a rich group even richer.

I do think retaining Richardson is the keystone to turning over the Seahawks D for the next 7 year stint. This DL group is still going to be cheap for a few years relatively speaking as far as the percentage of the total cap is concerned. Even with a 12-15M potential payout for Richardson.

When rewatching the games, it's pretty obvious just how much Jones and Reed benefit from lining next to Richardson.

Agreed. On Sheldon R, I'll take it a step further. As Chris98251 mentioned, Richardson is to the DL what Earl Thomas is to the secondary. He's had that type of impact that makes everyone around him better. IMO, If he was active against the Redskins, the Seahawks would have had close to 10 sacks and we wouldn't be stewing over a loss.

Seymour

Reaction score
chris98251":3u8zru4d said:
Seymour":3u8zru4d said:
HawkerD":3u8zru4d said:
Seymour":3u8zru4d said:

He is the kind of player that eats blockers up, makes run stops and pushes the pocket, may get an occasional sack, you don't pick up guys that handle double and triple teams and still make plays off the waiver wire, you don't get guys require additional blockers to handle and free up LB's, DT's and DE's to make splashy plays and look really good to where casual fans will state they are great resign him and cut the guy not getting sacks.

On defense he is just as important as a shut down corner and a safety like Earl, and he is just getting started here in Seattle.

Over stated. With Richardson we average 2 sacks per game. He goes out and we get 6 sacks in 1 game. If he was eating that many blockers, others would be feasting on sacks, they are not. In fact going into last game, they were at an all time low in sacks in the PC era. Not buying it. He is NEVER getting triple teamed, and rarely needs to be doubled.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Seymour":6vyu9qen said:
Over stated. With Richardson we average 2 sacks per game. He goes out and we get 6 sacks in 1 game. If he was eating that many blockers, others would be feasting on sacks, they are not. In fact going into last game, they were at an all time low in sacks in the PC era. Not buying it. He is NEVER getting triple teamed, and rarely needs to be doubled.

Drawing conclusions based on one game against a patchwork offensive line is not very convincing.

There are a lot of assumptions being thrown around that I don't agree with:

1) That the D-Line was just as good without Richardson

2) That McDowell will come back fully healthy and be productive

3) That McDowell will play the 3-tech in mixed downs (many think he's more of a Bennett replacement at 5-tech DE)

4) That Richardson's price tag will be prohibitive and that the Seahawks can't afford it

So far Richardson has zero sacks. He's also had some attitude / off-field issues. If, as some posters are implying, he's not a true difference-maker, his price tag will reflect that.

I prefer to think that Richardson is a very good player who is effective against both the run and the pass, that he has matured and is fitting in well on the Seahawks, that his price tag will be high but not market-setting, and that he and the Seahawks will find each other a good long-term fit at an agreeable price.

Seymour

Reaction score
None of what I stated was stated as final conclusion, it is obviously still early so we only have what we have seen. I was disputing his overall impact vs value that many here agreed was $12-15M. I cannot condone dumping all that $$ on Dline with Reed, Jones and hopefully McDowell all contributing especially. (talking next season). Not until they balance the $$ enough to eliminate the shit show on the other side of the ball at least. For a lesser price I think he's a keeper.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Reed is improving, Jones is promising, and McDowell is unproven. I have a strong feeling that this may be Bennett and Avril’s last year. If that’s true then they’ll have more than enough to resign Richardson.

OP
OP
EverydayImRusselin

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
hawkfan68":oaibeje8 said:
Reed is improving, Jones is promising, and McDowell is unproven. I have a strong feeling that this may be Bennett and Avril’s last year. If that’s true then they’ll have more than enough to resign Richardson.

Avril presents significant cap savings next year, so I don't really see him coming back, but Bennett only saves $2m if we cut him. He is leading the team in sacks. Not sure why they would do that to save $2m.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":25wwvumr said:
hawkfan68":25wwvumr said:

Avril presents significant cap savings next year, so I don't really see him coming back, but Bennett only saves $2m if we cut him. He is leading the team in sacks. Not sure why they would do that to save $2m.

Where in my post did I mention that Bennett would be cut? I said I have a feeling that it would be his last year. He could very well decide to hang it up for all we know. I don't think it's been a fun year for him. His brother is now retiring (at least that is what he stated) so maybe being older, he may want to do the same.

OP
OP
EverydayImRusselin

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
hawkfan68":r4pycl54 said:
EverydayImRusselin":r4pycl54 said:
hawkfan68":r4pycl54 said:

Where in my post did I mention that Bennett would be cut? I said I have a feeling that it would be his last year. He could very well decide to hang it up for all we know. I don't think it's been a fun year for him. His brother is now retiring (at least that is what he stated) so maybe being older, he may want to do the same.

Ah, I assumed you meant he would be cut, because he has to return a lot of money to the Hawks if he retires.

chris98251

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":1kp3oyzi said:
hawkfan68":1kp3oyzi said:

Well we may want someone that misses left when he tries to make a sack :)

hawkfan68

Reaction score
chris98251":38z6fvn8 said:
EverydayImRusselin":38z6fvn8 said:
hawkfan68":38z6fvn8 said:

Well we may want someone that misses left when he tries to make a sack :)

They already had a couple of those types - Aaron Curry and Cassius Marsh. ;)