Jeff Simmons, Great Twitter follow

Mick063

Reaction score
I have some serious crow to eat here. I made a draft day comment that I thought Hall's best attribute was setting the edge for the run game and that he didn't have the "bend" to be a premier edge (intended to mean that he could instead play other positions at a premier level like a "hand in the dirt" Cliff Avril role). I basically remarked that his versatility to potentially create interior pressure more than compensated for his lack of "bend" because his interior pressure (for an edge) really stood out to me after watching video of him. Georgia wasn't afraid to loop him inside and the videos showed him used that way frequently. I just envisioned a guy that could be elite in the use of stunts.

After watching this video by Baldinger I will come clean and say, I WAS FLAT OUT WRONG. I just didn't look at enough video of Hall to make a qualified assessment. This video shows technique that is good enough for an instruction video. This video is the VERY DEFINITON of "bend".

When you hear a person use the term "bend" in reference to an edge rusher, this is the dictionary definition. I was wrong. Hall has "bend" in spades. Remarkable video. Crazy good technique. He looks like a fourth-year pro. I can easily see the first-round grade now. Those long arms are going to create turnovers. After seeing this single clip, I would certainly take Hall over Nolan Smith.

Last edited:

Scout

Reaction score
I have some serious crow to eat here. I made a draft day comment that I thought Hall's best attribute was setting the edge for the run game and that he didn't have the "bend" to be a premier edge (intended to mean that he could instead play other positions at a premier level like a "hand in the dirt" Cliff Avril role). I basically remarked that his versatility to potentially create interior pressure more than compensated for his lack of "bend" because his interior pressure (for an edge) really stood out to me after watching video of him. Georgia wasn't afraid to loop him inside and the videos showed him used that way frequently. I just envisioned a guy that could be elite in the use of stunts.

After watching this video by Baldinger I will come clean and say, I WAS FLAT OUT WRONG. I just didn't look at enough video of Hall to make a qualified assessment. This video shows technique that is good enough for an instruction video. This video is the VERY DEFINITON of "bend".

When you hear a person use the term "bend" in reference to an edge rusher, this is the dictionary definition. I was wrong. Hall has "bend" in spades. Remarkable video. Crazy good technique. He looks like a fourth-year pro. I can easily see the first-round grade now. Those long arms are going to create turnovers. After seeing this single clip, I would certainly take Hall over Nolan Smith.
Look at how Halls shoulders are nearly perpendicular to the field surface. That is very good bend along with lower pad level and his ankles ready to explode around the tackle.

But what starts it is all is Hall's ability to use his hands. There are many players with bend and speed but if you don't use your hands you will lose often against pro tackles.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
My comp for Hall was Clemons/Nwosu. In terms of just all around game he was one of my favorite LBs. He’s not elite in any type of way in terms of his skill set but for how a LBer is used, and how a Defensive End is used he can do all of it (Pass-Rush, Run Defense, Coverage) and compete his ass off doing it.

Like I said in his draft thread I was intrigued by his pursuit and toughness and that he gave off a Mike vibe.

I still believe that he can do what Drew Sanders did and be an inside type.

Seahawks do like their LBs to be rather quantitative and versatile. It would not surprise me if Hall get some inside reps just as a contingency plan. And out of all the OLB/Edge players I think he is the only one capable of being that type of guy and being successful with it.