Jeremy Lane should return kickoffs instead of Baldwin

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
kearly":2pdv2t49 said:
I want the Hawks to take a touchback at every opportunity in this game. Special teams are one of the very few edges New England has.

If someone has to return it, would prefer Baldwin.
This. Minus the Baldwin part (Walters for me).

DavidSeven

Reaction score
This is not the time to get "experimental" in the return game. No to Lane, C-Mike, and B.J.

My preference has been to be safe with Walters doing both KR/PR. But Doug on KR is fine. Let's not forget that he had a game-changing KR in last year's NFCCG.

Edit: Dallas and others basically covered all my thoughts.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Take a knee. Hopefully we'll only get two or three kickoffs on Sunday.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":3qqmv2ht said:
RunTheBall":3qqmv2ht said:
Baldwin has been a disaster on both kickoff and punt returns all season/postseason, why not give Lane a chance in the Super Bowl? He did well last year when given a chance and he is faster than Baldwin.
Absolutely not. The Super Bowl is not the venue for on the job training. Personally, I would put Walters back on KO's and demand a kneel-down on anything booted into the end zone. There's absolutely nothing wrong with 1st and 10 on the 20.

:13:

Scottemojo

Reaction score
RunTheBall":3ofqf69s said:
Scottemojo":3ofqf69s said:
He didn't forget how to return kicks in a year. He had a fumble in the wet. He had a couple bad returns.

And no, recent results don't matter. Because we won. He is the same player who ran it back 70 plus, and he is the same player who fumbled.

We are not suddenly going to discover a kick returner who has been hiding on our team all along.
If recent results don't matter then why isn't Malcolm Smith getting more snaps than Bruce Irvin, I mean he was Super Bowl MVP after all. This isn't a one game thing with Baldwin, all season he has been terrible on both kick and punt returns. Just look at the numbers

16.2 Yards per Kickoff Return, 7.0 Yards Per Punt Return (0.8 without the 38 yard return), One near Kyle Williams moment vs. the Eagles where he couldn't decide if he wanted to catch or let it go, it goes right by him for about a 25 yard loss in field position... then the complete disaster in the NFC Title Game. This is a trend, he is a liability not an asset in the return game.
Who for a certainty do you know is better?

Normally I'm not an appeal to authority kind of guy, but in this case, if it's Baldwin I trust the staff. If it isn't, I trust the staff. But in no way do I think some fans who didn't like things that happened in one game are onto something the coaching staff has missed.

gulliver

Reaction score
After last game's turnover fiasco, and generally poor return game, I'm good with letting every kick roll out the back of the end zone. Can't possibly be worse than what we've been getting so far this year.

Bprez3

Reaction score
DavidSeven":b1b7s0tt said:
This is not the time to get "experimental" in the return game. No to Lane, C-Mike, and B.J.

My preference has been to be safe with Walters doing both KR/PR. But Doug on KR is fine. Let's not forget that he had a game-changing KR in last year's NFCCG.

Edit: Dallas and others basically covered all my thoughts.

Agreed.

Lane has 2 career KO returns for 47yds. His long was only for 25yds not that impressive. This is not the stage for the Seahawks to try him out.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/i ... eremy-lane

Interesting thought for next year.

sc85sis

Reaction score
While we're at it let's have T-Jack play QB because Russell threw four picks in the NFCCG.

Yes, that's sarcasm.

kearly

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":3seengeq said:

I know Baldwin just had a brutal fumble, but I seriously have never felt more thankful to see a player complete a fair catch than any time it's Bryan Walters back there. He seems to bobble most of his catches, and the way he runs is a little too reckless for my liking.

Watching Walters field a kick feels like watching a less entertaining version of Munenori Kawasaki step up to the plate. Any time Kawasaki managed to not fall on his ass during his after swing, he was having a good day. Even when Kawasaki was batting around .290 I would still feel apprehensive watching him at the plate. And when he did make a nice play, even he thought it was a fluke.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Im fine with Baldwin for this game, but next year we need to do something. We are conceding one whole phase of the game right now.. basically not competing on kickoffs and punt returns. We need someone with some upside on returns.

seaNOmercy

Reaction score
I love him to death but as long as ET doesn't mess with 'em I'm happy!

OP
OP
R

RunTheBall

Reaction score
kearly":1mkrntbl said:
NorthDallas40oz":1mkrntbl said:

I know Baldwin just had a brutal fumble, but I seriously have never felt more thankful to see a player complete a fair catch than any time it's Bryan Walters back there. He seems to bobble most of his catches, and the way he runs is a little too reckless for my liking.

Watching Walters field a kick feels like watching a less entertaining version of Munenori Kawasaki step up to the plate. Any time Kawasaki managed to not fall on his ass during his after swing, he was having a good day. Even when Kawasaki was batting around .290 I would still feel apprehensive watching him at the plate. And when he did make a nice play, even he thought it was a fluke.
Completely disagree about everything with Walters, when has he ever fumbled? He isn't great but he is good and gets tons of hate for no apparent reason other than him being a White WR.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Percy Harvin and Golden Tate are NOT walking through that door. We are NOT going to win this game on punt or KO returns. Security is tantamount. Let Walters FC them (punts) or kneel down (KOs) and we're good. A part of greatness is recognizing your weaknesses and not trying to do too much. It's all about the ball. Just take the ball, and be happy with 1st and 10.

sutz

Reaction score
RunTheBall":1ml18iqm said:
kearly":1ml18iqm said:
NorthDallas40oz":1ml18iqm said:

Completely disagree about everything with Walters, when has he ever fumbled? He isn't great but he is good and gets tons of hate for no apparent reason other than him being a White WR.
Gotta go with Kearly here. Walters seems to have the ball bounce around on him a lot.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
RunTheBall":23sbey75 said:
kearly":23sbey75 said:
NorthDallas40oz":23sbey75 said:

Your race-bating BS is tired. Take up your issues somewhere else.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
RunTheBall":9sq92uqd said:
volsunghawk":9sq92uqd said:
RunTheBall":9sq92uqd said:
Scottemojo":9sq92uqd said:
Perhaps you should base it on last year then. Baldwin had a 70 plus yarder when we needed it most in the NFCCG.
What does last year have anything to do with this year? Recent results are what matter most and other than his 38 yard punt return he has been downright terrible on both kick and punt returns all year, culminating with that disastrous NFC Title Game.
Didn't you just advocate for Lane based on how he did last year?
How else are we going to judge him when he hasn't had a shot to play?
Maybe there's a reason for that.