Jim Irsay nearly died of an overdose

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
He's had substance abuse problems for years. All that money can't buy a decision to be healthy and sober.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
For years every time I would see him on TV I would just think "There's someone with a substance abuse issue". He wore it on his face like a badge. Face, eyes red, always looked like he was barely keeping it together, fresh off a bender.

I hope he gets the help he needs.

ivotuk

Reaction score
A while back, they found a girl dead from an overdose in one of his apartments, she had like $20,000 on her.

Rat

Reaction score
Addiction is no joke. In the past year, I've woken up in the hospital twice with no recollection of how I got there; the first time, someone found me face-down in the snow at 3am and called the police, and the second time I was found somewhere on a hot July day passed out with a BAC of over .40. And then there were the two times in the past 18 months I've woken up in jail. I just got released from jail this past Sunday after my offenses led to me missing the holidays with my family.

And I don't have anywhere close to the access and social pressures this guy does. I hope he figures this stuff out before it's REALLY too late.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Addiction is no joke. In the past year, I've woken up in the hospital twice with no recollection of how I got there; the first time, someone found me face-down in the snow at 3am and called the police, and the second time I was found somewhere on a hot July day passed out with a BAC of over .40. And then there were the two times in the past 18 months I've woken up in jail. I just got released from jail this past Sunday after my offenses led to me missing the holidays with my family.

And I don't have anywhere close to the access and social pressures this guy does. I hope he figures this stuff out before it's REALLY too late.

Brother I mean this in the most respectful way…I hope you do too. That is some real reality.

I hope you find the help you need and some peace and strength in your life.

ivotuk

Reaction score

I'm right there with you buddy. 25 years clean and sober. Alcohol almost killed me a couple of times, but it was the 2 years of smoking crack that took away my career and home.

Addiction and alcoholism has 2 parts, the part we are born with, and the part we are exposed to growing up. We are emotionally subject to a body that excretes chemicals in to our system and brain. If they are continually imbalanced, then depression and other emotional imbalances can lead to alcoholism and addiction. If we are exposed to abuse and abandonment growing up, it only amplifies those feelings of hopelessness and depression.

I never understood people who committed suicide, until I had an overwhelming emotion and feeling that I did not want to be here anymore. It happened in January a couple of years ago, and fortunately only lasted a few seconds. But it scared the hell out of me.

Sundown M Ranch in Yakima, Washington will always be hallowed ground to me. That's where I got sober in the Spring of 1998. The other thing that has really helped me (besides work, meetings, working out, keeping active), is Achieve TMS. They put a helmet on you, 5 days a week for 3 or 4 weeks, and it opens pathways in your brain. It was crazy how well it worked for me! People at work were noticing the change in me, in midwinter no less.

The problem with TMS is it's expensive, and I've been fighting my insurance for 2 years because they trying to save money, at the expense of my emotional health. I'll win, eventually though. I'm stubborn when it comes to my health.

Fortunately, alcoholism and addiction don't have the stigma that they used to, and it's easier for people to get help.

I'm always here for anybody that's struggling, so if you have questions, or just want to talk, PM me. Understanding the disease is the first step to fighting it.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
I quit alcohol in my 20s because I had a wife who didn't drink and at the time, a 3 year old and a 1 year old. I realized that the fun part of my life was over and it was time to grow up. Haven't had a drop since then, and I really do not miss it at all. I quit while young, and that is probably easier than trying to quit later in life.

I now have 3 kids with my wife, who still doesn't drink, and I haven't drank for well over a decade now. It's been the best time of my life with my wife, three kids, and our travels in our RV.

Quitting alcohol is one of the best and most rational choices I've made in this life. Since I quit, I've obtained my AA, BA, and MS degrees. I've thought about obtaining my PhD in Elem. Education but that's not in the immediate plans.

Slick

Reaction score

One day at a time Rat. One foot in front of the other. You have opportunity in front of you.