Jimmy Graham's status

bigskydoc

Reaction score
The truth is, none of us know. I'm even somewhat suspicious of Dr. Luks prediction unless he evaluated and treated Graham. We simply don't have the information of the degree or the location of the tear to make any reasonable prediction of how he will recover.

Pretty sure I'm right. I am a M.D.

The Seahawks cannot cut Graham. It is against NFL rules to cut an injured player. Injury settlements can be negotiated, but they must be signed within five days of the player being placed on injured reserve. The Seahawks are stuck with Graham's contract until he is cleared to play.

-bsd

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
At this point i wouldn't even try to get him back for week 1. I don't want a 75% healthy Graham playing with rust to start the season.

Let Vannett pick up some valuable experience, get a feel for how well Vannett can run routes and catch passes (we know he can block, but there is debate about how effective he can be as a receiver) and then figure out the best way to incorporate Graham into the offense (again).

With Graham recovering from a serious injury MAYBE the hawks have wisened up and dropped their ignorant "every TE has to be used as a blocker" mentality.

Graham sucks at blocking; Vannett is good (supposedly); and Willson is somewhere inbetween. I know it's nice to have the element of surprise, but sometimes it's just easier (and better) to put the player on the field who is best suited for that particular play.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Here's a good article that covers Graham, Cruz and Mayo

"Giants WR Victor Cruz never made it back from last season’s patella tendon tear, but his recovery was complicated by a calf strain. Patriots LB Jerod Mayo did make it back this year...

...Graham is a great kid and a hard worker. We all wish him well and hope he can come back strong as the new standard for patellar tendon recovery like Adrian Peterson set the new standard for ACL return."

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/mon ... -than-acl/

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1s32h964 said:
The truth is, none of us know....We simply don't have the information of the degree or the location of the tear to make any reasonable prediction of how he will recover.

^This.

Not all tears are equal. I have no reason to think he's not on schedule. But it's so early in the process, that means very little. The rehab is tough -- the quad is a major muscle that will take time to rebuild strength and flexibility. It also puts a lot of stress on the repaired structure. It's not only just a matter of the damaged ligament.

I would speculate based on how Pete has approached similar major injuries. Basically I don't put any stock whatsoever in his offseason progress reports. They are almost always optimistic with no evidence as to why. Pete's history is to be optimistic up until the day where they land on the PUP.

He's also shown to be very conservative in activating players from major injury. I expect Graham to be PUPed, even if he's close to a week 1 return. Pete has shown to take a long term view of the season and in cases of injury of similar degree -- has preferred to allow extra time in healing if it can mean a better result later in the season. He has shown to be averse in rushing players back early.

Graham could very well be ready to go by the first few weeks of the season. But I do think Pete will take advantage of the extra healing time and the extra relief on the 53 man roster and PUP him to start the season. I would be pessimistic if he's not activated the first game he's eligible for.

Pete believes in his depth and wants to be as fully armed in November/December as he can. Pushing Graham to start week 1 wouldn't align with how he's operated in the past. If Graham does start week one, then I'm pretty confident he would be truly ready to roll.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2bz105qn said:
bigskydoc":2bz105qn said:
The truth is, none of us know....We simply don't have the information of the degree or the location of the tear to make any reasonable prediction of how he will recover.

^This.

Not all tears are equal. I have no reason to think he's not on schedule. But it's so early in the process, that means very little. The rehab is tough -- the quad is a major muscle that will take time to rebuild strength and flexibility. It also puts a lot of stress on the repaired structure. It's not only just a matter of the damaged ligament.

I would speculate based on how Pete has approached similar major injuries. Basically I don't put any stock whatsoever in his offseason progress reports. They are almost always optimistic with no evidence as to why. Pete's history is to be optimistic up until the day where they land on the PUP.

He's also shown to be very conservative in activating players from major injury. I expect Graham to be PUPed, even if he's close to a week 1 return. Pete has shown to take a long term view of the season and in cases of injury of similar degree -- has preferred to allow extra time in healing if it can mean a better result later in the season. He has shown to be averse in rushing players back early.

Graham could very well be ready to go by the first few weeks of the season. But I do think Pete will take advantage of the extra healing time and the extra relief on the 53 man roster and PUP him to start the season. I would be pessimistic if he's not activated the first game he's eligible for.

Pete believes in his depth and wants to be as fully armed in November/December as he can. Pushing Graham to start week 1 wouldn't align with how he's operated in the past. If Graham does start week one, then I'm pretty confident he would be truly ready to roll.

The above part is what makes Pete such a good coach. He looks out for his players best interests, which in turn, are in his best interests. I have not seen any other coach in the NFL take this approach.

The other bonus of the PUP, and why Pete will likely put Graham, and possibly Rawls on it, it gives him more time to evaluate other players in real game time. So expect the minimum of Graham being on there.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":2jzclo2h said:
The other bonus of the PUP, and why Pete will likely put Graham, and possibly Rawls on it, it gives him more time to evaluate other players in real game time. So expect the minimum of Graham being on there.

I also love this about PC! No stone unturned, always looking for more. :th2thumbs:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
London12":230zcxv1 said:
Damn you guys are negative.
Damn right they are.I don't get why some do not know the difference between complete and partial tears since one is much worse than the other.Jimmy got lucky and should be back this year

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
There's like 8 people in the world who know his actual status. None of them are you or me.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":k8db34aa said:
There's like 8 people in the world who know his actual status. None of them are you or me.
And none of them are talking publicly. We won't know jack til the regular season starts unless he's on the field in the preseason, even briefly.