John L Williams and Mack Strong

TCS

Reaction score
So I'm sitting here at work, contemplating all things Hawks, when John L. Williams popped into my head. Oh man, those Hungry Man Dinner commercials even back then, cracked me up! Anyways, I started to wonder how Mack Strong's numbers stacked up against JLW's. I realize that JLW was used more as an offensive weapon, but I didn't realize just how much of a gap there was when comparing the numbers. Granted, Mack was a pure fullback, and JLW was a hybrid, but wow. MH really must have something against throwin' the big guys' a bone. As an aside, I didn't realize that JLW was our 1st round pick the year he was drafted.

John L. Williams – 10 year career (Final 2 with Pittsburg)
1,245 carries for 5,005 yards
18 rushing touchdowns
546 receptions for 4,656 yards
19 receiving touchdowns.

Mack Strong – 13 year career all with Seattle
230 carries for 909 yards
5 rushing touchdowns
218 receptions for 1,456 yards
10 receiving touchdowns.

It's hard for me to choose which of these two was my favorite, but I'm sure glad they played for our Hawks. Have a favorite?

Go Hawks

tcs

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Of the two, John L is my favorite.

There have been very few fullbacks in the league that could replicate what John L did during his career... and I've been watching the NFL for over 55 years.

bellingerga

Reaction score
Tough choice but Mack Strong gave up his body for the hawks from the start of his career to the finish. I don't really think you can be a better blocking fullback than he was.

Blitzfan

Reaction score
It's hard to pick out a fav between these two. They were both really good at what they did for the team. I guess if you reversed them, switch their eras, would John L have been able to do what Mack did in Holmie's system? I am pretty sure Mack would have been a more than capable offensive weapon if used the way John L was. I dunno, I can't choose, I'm just glad they were both Hawks.

LargentFan

Reaction score
I'm thankful we got both of those guys, but I'm even more thankful we have another fullback on the team now that follows in their footsteps. Robinson is a very valuable player for our team. We were lucky to have John L and Mack Strong, and we are lucky to have Mike Rob!

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
LargentFan":gw5ostla said:
I'm thankful we got both of those guys, but I'm even more thankful we have another fullback on the team now that follows in their footsteps. Robinson is a very valuable player for our team. We were lucky to have John L and Mack Strong, and we are lucky to have Mike Rob!

I'm with ya man!

John L was such a factor back in his day. I used to argue with kids at school that he was better than Thurman Thomas haha.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
John L was actually the feature guy in the backfield before Fenner and Warren came on. There were times when he was the only back. He had a ton of carries and made a career of bailing Krieg out of some tough jams.

The truth of it was the line struggled to get a push and Warner was nothing like he was before the injury. There was no running game and the Hawks had to generate it by using JLW in the flat or by screen. It worked though.

Strong was just a solid blocker that spanned 3 coaching regimes. I was actually surprised to see Mack's stats so high given the role he had. Strong was a better blocker than John L. I liked the offense with Strong a lot more mostly because using John L was like the Hawks were settling for what they could get because there wasn't much else.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
John L is definatly my favorite of the two, and one of my all time favorites.

The exciting thing is that I think Spencer Ware has a chance to be a player very similar to John L.

OP
OP
TCS

TCS

Reaction score
I agree with the general consensus here, that it is tough to compare the two for their obvious differences/roles. And Mike Rob is def "filling their shoes" nicely. The below is worthy to note about MS...

"He has blocked for three 1,000-yard rushers: Chris Warren, Ricky Watters, and Shaun Alexander. He held the Seahawks team record for longest rush in a playoff game with a 32-yard run during the 2005 divisional playoff game against the Washington Redskins until Marshawn Lynch's 67-yard rush against the Saints on January 8, 2011.

In 2005 Strong was selected to his first NFL Pro Bowl and chosen as an Associated Press All-Pro. He was known as one of the best blocking fullbacks in the NFL. Strong was again selected to the Pro Bowl in 2006." (Wiki) (And he played 15 years, not 13 as I previously stated)

Go Hawks!

tcs

hawker84

Reaction score
I love Mack,

but John L. is my all time favorite fullback.. He was a freak at that position, still doesn't get enough props for the things he did at full back from fans around the league.

NYCoug

Reaction score
LargentFan":2zm3fdcb said:

Seriously. We've been pretty lucky with regards to filling the shoes of our "legacy" players around here.

Wilson (Hass), Lynch (Alexander), Okung (Jones), Robinson (Strong), and even the CB's with Trufant on his way out the past few years, have all had pretty big shoes to fill. Wagner too if you absolutely love Lofa and want to count him. I'll allow it. Bottom line is that all of these guys have stepped up and done a more than admirable job, sometimes even surpassing the play of the Seahawk greats before them. That's not an easy thing to do. Good job to everyone from the front office who drafted them, the coaches who coached them up, and the players themselves who didn't think it was impossible to fill the shoes of the likes of Walter Jones, even though it probably should have been. Yet another reason to add to the eternally growing and eternal in length reasons to love this team.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Mack has and always will be my favorite all-time Hawk. I just loved the way he played!

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'm surprised Mack didn't have more yardage and carries. 40% of Holmgren's 3rd down plays were the fullback draw.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
bellingerga":3hubep98 said:
Tough choice but Mack Strong gave up his body for the hawks from the start of his career to the finish. I don't really think you can be a better blocking fullback than he was.

John L could block just as good as Strong.
He was THE fullback of his day.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
John L. Love Mack Strong, but John L all the way.

OrFan

Reaction score
Mack is my all time favorite Seahawk. Ricky Watters is next. I just love smash mouth football.

It is so fun to watch it when you have 3 yards needed for a first down, and the mentality is that of we are going to run the ball right up the gut and there is nothing you can do to stop us!

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
John L was a legitimate offensive weapon. Only player in team history to lead the team in rushing in one season and receiving in another as far as I know.