John Schneider appreciation thread.......

vigilantgrrl

Reaction score
Give some credit to our GM who has had to make some moves complicated by the pandemic which hampered a team's ability to evaluate draft picks, and bring people both draft picks and free agents for physicals. He has had to make moves to shore up one of the worst defensive lines in the NFL. Give John credit for not panicking and giving in to Clowney's contract demands. Lots of people in this forum and in the media were quite angry about not going all in on Clowney. Schneider was shrewd and knew it wasn't worth it. He made draft picks which can be the future. And we were winning despite the injuries to Irvin and Mayowa. Finally his patience pays off and we get Carlos Dunlap for Finney (who wasn't working out for us, and his salary was way too high for a bench warmer) and a 7th round pick. In 2 games, Dunlap has more sacks than Clowney had all last year. Dunlap does not look old on the field. He comes off the edge so fast for a big man. He has made J. Reed more effective. Clowney has not been a real impact player for the Titans. Schneider's patience has payed off. Yes, our defense is not what it used to be....but it is enough right now.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
:irishdrinkers:

I've never understood the snarky remarks and criticism of Schneider on this board. Totally blows my mind.

We're lucky to have him.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Jerhawk":sirq4o7n said:
:irishdrinkers:

I've never understood the snarky remarks and criticism of Schneider on this board. Totally blows my mind.

We're lucky to have him.

Ditto. Sure he hasn't been perfect but what GM has been? I love me some JS. Dumping him would be as short-sighted as trading Russell.

FPD

Reaction score
I was looking through former Seahawks GM's. Here they are (Link):

Link":229i9fuy said:
Executive
John Thompson......1976-1982 General Manager
Mike McCormack....1982-1988 Interim Head Coach/Acting General Manager, President/General Manager
Tom Flores..............1989-1994 Head Coach/General Manager, President/General Manager
Randy Mueller.........1995-1998 VP of Football Operations, VP of Football Operations/de facto General Manager
Bob Whitsitt.............1997-1998 President/Acting General Manager
Mike Holmgren........1999-2002 Head Coach/Executive VP/General Manager
Bob Ferguson..........2003-2004 General Manager
Tim Ruskell..............2005-2009 President/General Manager
Ruston Webster.......2009-2009 Interim General Manager
Pete Carroll..............2010-2013 Head Coach/VP of Football Ops Head Coach has personnel authority
John Schneider........2010-Current Executive VP/General Manager, General Manager Head Coach has personnel authority

Of those, John is definitely the best IMO. Just my :twocents: . And we get to enjoy his work right now!
:fam: :229031_thewave:

Threedee

Reaction score
JS drafted the LOB (to include the front men, like Wagner, and not just DBs), Russell Wilson, DK and Lockett, and he signed Beastmode. That's quite an impressive resume.

TypeSly

Reaction score
I think JS is a great GM. You can tell that he was a long time scout, and he still does a lot more scouting himself than most other GM's do. He rarely overpays players, and when he does, it's usually on non-long term contracts. He has an amazing ability to see and find talent where other franchises aren't looking. He also has an amazing ability to dump high-paid players on the down curve of their careers, and turn it into fresh new cap-friendly talent. Even from the national, Seattle hating media, this is one area (of the franchise) that's always gotten high praise.

Long live JS in Seattle, is what I say! :2thumbs:

chris98251

Reaction score
I think a lot of the hate comes from the want it now group. JS has to look at this years Cap, next years cap and more, he also has to look at fit, culture, talent fit for what we want and need and then who is available. Then cost in draft capital and salary

Thats a lot of ducks to line up to pull the trigger.

Latest posts