John Schneider ????

Mick063

Reaction score
JS is an extension of Carroll.

Carroll gives JS room to maneuver as he is a delegator by nature, but no major decisions are made without Carroll giving the go ahead.

So what is the strength of JS?

He introduces fresh talent to Pete or otherwise implements Carroll's will. In other words, Carroll tells JS which players he wants to keep and JS gets it done. Ultimately, his strength is that he is on the same page as Carroll. He knows the type of players that Carroll wants. He knows what Carroll's vision for the team is. He knows that Pete's football philosophy is run game, ball security, and defense.

JS would not get nearly the acclaim if it were not for the entire coaching staff (especially the defensive staff) being so adept at player development. JS can bring in players that are superbly athletic, big, fast, strong, albeit raw and semi-projects. There is no pressure to save jobs by plugging in players that are not ready (There are exceptions of course ie. Britt). It makes for a positive atmosphere for the coaching staff (fearing for your job is not a positive atmosphere). This frees up JS to find players to develop instead of finding less athletically skilled "technicians" that must play major roles right away in an effort to preserve jobs.

Speaking of development. I don't ever recall a Seahawk coach that gave such a large portion of the roster so much playing time. A big part of the player development is giving bench players meaningful time on the field. I think it is part of the "competition" philosophy. Giving players a chance to show what they can do.

drdiags

Reaction score
I would agree with those who say his best strength is having coaches who will play the players his scouts help them pick. Would it be the same if Pete didn't have authority over him? That may have been a good thing in regards to Harvin. If Pete isn't playing and cultivating those 5th rounders he may not be as recognized as he is now.

The culture he and Pete push seems to carry weight with many players and agents across the league as far as being above board. Still he can make the tough call, the Matt Hasselbeck call.

To me you will get a much better feel for his impact when Pete is no longer part of the FO he is in charge of. Be that here or somewhere else.

grizbob

Reaction score
drdiags":3kih4t7b said:
I would agree with those who say his best strength is having coaches who will play the players his scouts help them pick. Would it be the same if Pete didn't have authority over him? That may have been a good thing in regards to Harvin. If Pete isn't playing and cultivating those 5th rounders he may not be as recognized as he is now.

The culture he and Pete push seems to carry weight with many players and agents across the league as far as being above board. Still he can make the tough call, the Matt Hasselbeck call.

To me you will get a much better feel for his impact when Pete is no longer part of the FO he is in charge of. Be that here or somewhere else.

Damn Doc, I hear what your saying but that last sentence sent major chills up my back side :shock:

drdiags

Reaction score
grizbob":2r1i68eu said:
Damn Doc, I hear what your saying but that last sentence sent major chills up my back side :shock:

Yeah, I removed the line about this not happening for a couple of decades when I am gone but didn't want to put a cap on how long I could hang around for the party.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
grizbob":2gz1l5u7 said:
drdiags":2gz1l5u7 said:

I believe that we have an organization that is in near perfect balance. Sort of like playing the old game of "Pick-Up Sticks". It just took one unintended move and your turn was over. I believe that Pete and John truly love their players. They treat them as if they were their own sons. Yet...sometimes they have to practice "tough love" and they have to make painful decisions.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Lack of ego combined with utmost confidence. It's a tricky balance he has mastered and it informs all his actions and decisions. That's my educated guess.

JKent82

Reaction score
Speaking to his skills with the cap, I bet John Idzik comes back here to help out when he gets fired. He was our cap guy before yeah?

xgeoff

Reaction score
In general I like the decisions that Schneider makes. In general I think he has made more good decisions than bad. I think the Percy Harvin experiment, ironically, actually showed what a great GM he is.

I think it was a good move to bring someone who had special talent here for the offense. And I think it was probably the right decision to let him go.

He works really well with Carroll, he's made some amazing draft picks (Wilson, Chancellor, Sherman, etc, etc.) but has also shown an inability to evaluate Offensive Line talent in the draft (Carpenter, Britt, etc.), and I don't think Irvin was worth a first round pick. In general, though, I would call him pretty strong when it comes to drafting.

Overall, he just seems to do everything well. Cap management, working with his Head Coach, talent evaluation, free agents, etc., more often than not I find myself thinking that he is making good decisions.

Tical21

Reaction score
No, Schneider could not successfully transition into a position coach. There is a huge difference between identifying something on tape, and being able to teach it. There's also a big difference between business discussions and coaching discussions. Some of the greats in any sport you can name have tried their hand at coaching and failed miserably. Coaching is a distinct skill.

His biggest strength is his ability to coordinate the back-end and facilitate his coaching staff. He is the face of an awesome operation.