Johnny Manziel better than Russell Wilson!

Seahawkx

Reaction score
When will these jackasses understand that talent and tools are only about half of what makes a great NFL qb. The other half includes dedications, hard work, eagerness to learn, intellegence, patients, decision making, leadership, teamateship, etc.

Manziel might have the talent and tools. So does Kaep, RGIII, Newton, Vick, Vince Young, Pryr, etc... How many of these guys are at RWs level???! NONE!! Reason being that they dont have the other half of what it takes to be a great NFL qb.

Will Manziel leave his girls, home, family, partying, vacations, fame, etc for this game like RW has?
Will Manziel watch every snap of every game over and over again and take heavy notes like RW does?
Will Manziel take notes even on other positions players and send them to his teamates like RW does?
Will Manziel organize offseason practices to actually improve team chemistry and not for party perposes, like RW did?
Will Manziel take off a day every week to visit sick children like RW does?
Will Manziel be the at the offices before the janitors arrive and leave after they leave in the offseason like RW did?

The answer to all these is simply, my a** he will! :lol:

DTexHawk

Reaction score
Seahawkx":3llq7353 said:
When will these jackasses understand that talent and tools are only about half of what makes a great NFL qb. The other half includes dedications, hard work, eagerness to learn, intellegence, patients, decision making, leadership, teamateship, etc.

Manziel might have the talent and tools. So does Kaep, RGIII, Newton, Vick, Vince Young, Pryr, etc... How many of these guys are at RWs level???! NONE!! Reason being that they dont have the other half of what it takes to be a great NFL qb.

Will Manziel leave his girls, home, family, partying, vacations, fame, etc for this game like RW has?
Will Manziel watch every snap of every game over and over again and take heavy notes like RW does?
Will Manziel take notes even on other positions players and send them to his teamates like RW does?
Will Manziel organize offseason practices to actually improve team chemistry and not for party perposes, like RW did?
Will Manziel be the at the offices before the janitors arrive and leave after they leave in the offseason like RW did?

I am so glad we have someone who knows all about the work/time/study habits of both.

kearly

Reaction score
Manziel is a lot more like Fran Tarkenton than Wilson is. Wilson is a little more athletic, has a better arm, is a bit safer with the ball, and is a better person. Manziel does have a couple inches of height on Wilson and that isn't completely irrelevant. Manziel also has the best on field intangibles of any QB in history, IMO. If Russell Wilson is magical, Manziel is a freaking sorcerer or warlock- a guy makes plays that just shouldn't happen and does it like they are routine. He's done it so often and so consistently that only a fool would pass it off as luck or fluke.

I seriously watched Wilson's college highlight reel a few hundred times BEFORE he was drafted by Seattle. He was so exciting and fun to watch. There would be days I'd watch those videos for hours on end. But I've often wondered if Manziel is even more dangerous than Wilson was, even though he really shouldn't be. He's even more of an on-field intangibles QB than Wilson was.

Even the best prospects can still crash and burn for whatever reason, but if we are talking about the Rams next QB, I say "anyone but Manziel." With Manziel and that defense, Seattle would struggle to split the season series every season. I really believe that, even though I think Seattle is a dynasty in the making.

Good to see an NFL scout actually praising Manziel for a change. Manziel has been as cool to hate among scouts as he is with tabloid loving football fans.

Seahawkx

Reaction score
DTexHawk":pnp33jy4 said:
Seahawkx":pnp33jy4 said:

I am so glad we have someone who knows all about the work/time/study habits of both.

I really hope your thoughful reply made you feel good.

rjas77

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":rohyxvxg said:
Unfortunately, Johnny Football is about as immature as you'd expect a 20 year old with the world at his feet to be.

Between the Manning Passing Academy where he "overslept" and reports came out that he was hungover, taking money for autographs, kicked out of frat parties and getting arrested in 2012; it's obvious he's got some growing up to do.

RW has it all going on. He's got the athletic ability, the maturity level, the smarts. He's the consummate pro. Johnny Football sounds like all he wants to do is party and play football, and in no particular order.

Some of you may not believe this, but I believe it to be 100% true...

A kid I went to high school with went down to Florida during the summer for vacation. When he was there, and I believe it was South Beach (I could be wrong on the exact locale), he was walking down the beach and there was a large group of people hanging out, drinking, dancing, partying. He joined the group and walked to the middle of the crowd. My buddy bumped into a guy, not overly large, and apologized for running into him. The guy told him "no problem," and they struck up a conversation about the party on the beach. A couple minutes go by, and my buddy, Neil, introduces himself and the other guy introduces himself, "my name is Johnny." Neil looks at the guy for a couple seconds and says "holy cow, you're Johnny Football!" Johnny replied and said "yeah, I'm Johnny Football." They continued to make small talk until one of Johnny's friends came up and told him to "take a hit of this."

Neil looked over and Johnny's friend was holding his hand out with a line of coke. Mr. Football didn't even hesitate, leaned over and took the line. Immediately there after, Johnny and his cocaine-wielding friend took off out of the group and my buddy Neil didn't see him after that. After realizing what had happened, Neil left the crowd and proceeded to call pretty much all of his close friends telling them he met Johnny Manziel and then watched him snort a line of coke.

Hilarious.

Isn't that what happened to Todd Marinovich

DTexHawk

Reaction score
Seahawkx":2fuwolwc said:
DTexHawk":2fuwolwc said:
Seahawkx":2fuwolwc said:

I really hope your thoughful reply made you feel good.

My thoughtful reply was made possible by your list of hypothetical questions of which no one knows the answer to (and really will not define whether Johnny is successful at the next level or not, even if he is identical to Wilson in those areas), but you apparently do.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
rjas77":ua00e6hn said:
JGfromtheNW":ua00e6hn said:
Unfortunately, Johnny Football is about as immature as you'd expect a 20 year old with the world at his feet to be.

Between the Manning Passing Academy where he "overslept" and reports came out that he was hungover, taking money for autographs, kicked out of frat parties and getting arrested in 2012; it's obvious he's got some growing up to do.

RW has it all going on. He's got the athletic ability, the maturity level, the smarts. He's the consummate pro. Johnny Football sounds like all he wants to do is party and play football, and in no particular order.

Some of you may not believe this, but I believe it to be 100% true...

A kid I went to high school with went down to Florida during the summer for vacation. When he was there, and I believe it was South Beach (I could be wrong on the exact locale), he was walking down the beach and there was a large group of people hanging out, drinking, dancing, partying. He joined the group and walked to the middle of the crowd. My buddy bumped into a guy, not overly large, and apologized for running into him. The guy told him "no problem," and they struck up a conversation about the party on the beach. A couple minutes go by, and my buddy, Neil, introduces himself and the other guy introduces himself, "my name is Johnny." Neil looks at the guy for a couple seconds and says "holy cow, you're Johnny Football!" Johnny replied and said "yeah, I'm Johnny Football." They continued to make small talk until one of Johnny's friends came up and told him to "take a hit of this."

Neil looked over and Johnny's friend was holding his hand out with a line of coke. Mr. Football didn't even hesitate, leaned over and took the line. Immediately there after, Johnny and his cocaine-wielding friend took off out of the group and my buddy Neil didn't see him after that. After realizing what had happened, Neil left the crowd and proceeded to call pretty much all of his close friends telling them he met Johnny Manziel and then watched him snort a line of coke.

Hilarious.

Isn't that what happened to Todd Marinovich

Yeah I'm pretty sure he got arrested in college for coke. There are stories of Marinovich smoking crack in the locker room during half-time when he was in the CFL and cutting his hand with the crack pipe... smh.

Dude was an addict and let it destroy him.

NavySeaHawk

Reaction score
SeaTown81":3auzwon8 said:
Johnny Football owes Russ a ton right now. Without RW doing what he's done, and making scouts look stupid left and right, Manziel would be getting a lot more people questioning him about his size.

Thats for sure

MarylandHawk

Reaction score
DTexHawk":1ogy1viw said:
There's no doubt that at the same age and after 2 years of college ball, Johnny is ahead.

And just because RW has the start of a great career in the NFL doesn't mean that Johnny can't also excel at the next level.

Will Johnny be as fortunate to go to a team with a coach and system like RW has in Seattle?

We shall see in 2-3 years.

Uhhh...no doubt to you because you probably never saw RW play college ball. His first two years he only became the first ever freshman QB named 1st team All-ACC and set an NCAA record for most consecutive passes w/o an interception. I know you're from Texas, but that Kool-Aid you're on is a little strong.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
MarylandHawk":20ar9vyl said:
DTexHawk":20ar9vyl said:
There's no doubt that at the same age and after 2 years of college ball, Johnny is ahead.

And just because RW has the start of a great career in the NFL doesn't mean that Johnny can't also excel at the next level.

Will Johnny be as fortunate to go to a team with a coach and system like RW has in Seattle?

Uhhh...no doubt to you because you probably never saw RW play college ball. His first two years he only became the first ever freshman QB named 1st team All-ACC and set an NCAA record for most consecutive passes w/o an interception. I know you're from Texas, but that Kool-Aid you're on is a little strong.

No, I looked at video and stats at a comparable age, and there is this little thing called the Heisman that Manziel won as a freshman QB.

Seems like those that know more than I thought he was the best player in college football as a freshman and he has improved this year over last.

Yes, I know I have a bias towards Manziel, do you think maybe Hawk fans may have a little bias as well (and can admit it)?

I would like nothing better than Wilson/Manziel to be Manning/Brady for the next decade or so. Don't see why so many get upset that there could be another great QB coming into the NFL who could possibly be better than Wilson.

Subzero717

Reaction score
DTexHawk":23m3stlo said:
MarylandHawk":23m3stlo said:
DTexHawk":23m3stlo said:

No, I looked at video and stats at a comparable age, and there is this little thing called the Heisman that Manziel won as a freshman QB.

Seems like those that know more than I thought he was the best player in college football as a freshman and he has improved this year over last.

Yes, I know I have a bias towards Manziel, do you think maybe Hawk fans may have a little bias as well (and can admit it)?

I would like nothing better than Wilson/Manziel to be Manning/Brady for the next decade or so. Don't see why so many get upset that there could be another great QB coming into the NFL who could possibly be better than Wilson.

I really could care less because I like Manziel. However he has a ton of Tebow factor that I'm not sure translates to the next level. One example is the throw in the Bama game that comes after scrambling for what seemed like ten minutes, off his back leg falling backwards, a defender draped on him and chucks a 40 yard duck into triple. coverage and Evans comes down with it.

We also know that especially for QBs college success and pro success are two different things. Heismans don't necessarily translate to Lombardis either. Why can't we just appreciate both for what they do?

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3cwipsys said:
The only common ground Manziel and Wilson share is both are short and both are mobile.

After that, Wilson is far and away the superior talent across the board. Physically. Mentally. All of it.

Somewhere between the start of last season and now, you clearly have experienced an epiphany! :)

Interestingly, Cboom hasn't so much as said a single positive thing about RW to date.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/co...super-bowl-potential-larry-bird-instincts.ece

"That’s why the NFL is taking a longer look at the game tape of Manziel than what a tape measure or scale may say. The game is changing. The pocket passers are giving way to the more mobile quarterbacks. Robert Griffin III, Colin Kaepernick, Cam Newton, Terrelle Pryor and Wilson are forcing the NFL to change its thinking about quarterbacks.
Size is no longer the issue that it once was in April.
“Ask Nick Saban how big Manziel is,” another NFL talent evaluator said."

"Manziel may not be the first overall pick of the 2014 draft if he comes out. But don’t look for him to slide too far. The more the NFL studies Manziel, the less it will worry about his size. He plays, he wins -- and so will the team that drafts him."

DTexHawk

Reaction score

kearly

Reaction score
"Tebow Magic" is about as similar to Manziel magic as it is to Wilson magic. You watch Tebow, his big plays are usually just improbable runs. Tebow was not running wild to extend a passing play the way that Manziel and Wilson do. Wilson and Manziel are cerebral QBs that run only when it makes sense to run. Tebow is a RB at QB.

As far as Manziel throwing up prayers and having them answered, that's a trait Wilson does not share. However, I've seen the same tendency from Drew Brees, and it's part of the reason that Brees interception totals are higher than the other elite QBs. So you can expect Manziel to throw picks in the NFL, but I don't mind it too much because it's a sign that he trusts his WRs, and he's got the talent to overcome occasional mishaps.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
kearly":zz6bvfwd said:
Manziel is a lot more like Fran Tarkenton than Wilson is. Wilson is a little more athletic, has a better arm, is a bit safer with the ball, and is a better person. Manziel does have a couple inches of height on Wilson and that isn't completely irrelevant. Manziel also has the best on field intangibles of any QB in history, IMO. If Russell Wilson is magical, Manziel is a freaking sorcerer or warlock- a guy makes plays that just shouldn't happen and does it like they are routine. He's done it so often and so consistently that only a fool would pass it off as luck or fluke.

I seriously watched Wilson's college highlight reel a few hundred times BEFORE he was drafted by Seattle. He was so exciting and fun to watch. There would be days I'd watch those videos for hours on end. But I've often wondered if Manziel is even more dangerous than Wilson was, even though he really shouldn't be. He's even more of an on-field intangibles QB than Wilson was.

Even the best prospects can still crash and burn for whatever reason, but if we are talking about the Rams next QB, I say "anyone but Manziel." With Manziel and that defense, Seattle would struggle to split the season series every season. I really believe that, even though I think Seattle is a dynasty in the making.

Good to see an NFL scout actually praising Manziel for a change. Manziel has been as cool to hate among scouts as he is with tabloid loving football fans.

Gosselin agrees with you (you're not the same person, are you?)

"In my five decades watching pro football, the quarterback to whom I most liken Manziel is Fran Tarkenton, who was undersized for his era (1960-70s) at 6-0, 185 pounds. He was the original NFL scrambler who ran without a conscience. He’d ramble 15-20-25 yards deep in his own backfield escaping pass rushers but was always looking to throw.
Tarkenton took his team to three Super Bowls and became a nine-time Pro Bowler and league MVP. He still ranks fourth all-time among quarterbacks in rushing (3,674 yards) and sixth all-time in passing yards (47,003). Tarkenton also has a bust in the Hall of Fame."

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Defenses generally cannot cover for 5 or more seconds. Manziel exposes that.

As for comparing him to Russell, who cares? Like Kip, I hope to hell he does not end up on the Rams. Or Cards. Or Niners. I want him in the AFC.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I'd want Seattle to consider him if he's still available at 32.

If the draft doesn't fall their way, I can't imagine a more close approximation to Russell than Manziel. Obviously he has maturity issues. But I'd be left to wonder, if he couldn't benefit strongly from the Russell Wilson exposure he would get as a pro.

We aren't going to resign Jackson most likely. Manziel would be a pretty cheap -- long club control backup. One who could likely execute the offense Wilson runs now reliably. QB is the most important position, and if circumstance robs us of talents we'd rather have to surround Wilson, then getting a player who we could groom for QB security as well as possible trade value in the future would be appealing.

Sitting behind Wilson and learning how to be a mature pro from probably the best example in the league should give Manziel the best chance to develop his game as well as mental make up. If he did clean those up, there would be a good possibility of an RG3 type windfall if we wanted to trade him.

Taking him, developing him, and trading him would net a whole lot more for Seattle than simply trading back half a round like we're wont to do.

If Seattle wants dynamic difference makers early in the draft, I can't fathom a player who fits that billing more. And we'd have a uniquely perfect environment to mold him appropriately and to smooth his rough edges.

HawkWow

Reaction score
It's easy to understand the comparisons between RW and Manziel. Like RW, I think Manziel will have instant success at the next level. But when it's said and done, I think the real comparison will be between Griffin and Manziel. I think Manziel's success will be short lived in the NFL. He's too reckless and built more like a corner than an NFL QB. Bad combination in terms of longevity, IMO.