Johnny Manziel may have some flaws

HawkWow

Reaction score
Manziel just does not have the mindset to last in the bigs, IMO. I love this kid. He is everything you love about college football but is WAYYY more Vick than Wilson. Guys like Manziel (and Griffin) seldom make the necessary adjustments required to last at the pro-level....and it's hard to blame them. When something worked well enough to get you drafted in the 1st rd, you're likely going to stay true to that mentality...especially when the going gets rough (see Jake Locker).

Snohomie

Reaction score
Manziel is going to be completely off some teams boards, and top-10 on others. IMO, you absolutely have to have legitimate team leadership before you bring Manziel aboard - you don't want him to be the strongest voice in the locker room, at least not yet. I'm not sure who those teams are, the right team could get an incredible playmaker at QB. The wrong team could end up with the Atlanta Falcon's version of Brett Favre.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
Russellmania3":2ulypf56 said:
Russell has some bulk , Manziel is like a stick and runs looking for contact.

I am glad this thread popped up, I watched the game last night .

It was my first time watching Manziel , I was impressed . Most of his passes were right on the money

He looked to have plenty of arm , and his speed is lights out. Not sure how long he can hold up in the nfl with his small frame though.

5' 11" - 206lbs (25 year old)

6' 1" - 210lbs (21 year old)

One has bulk, one is a stick??????

Is there any thought that a 21 year old might add a little size and bulk over the next 4 years?????

CPHawk

Reaction score
DTexHawk":3cpqjpi9 said:
Russellmania3":3cpqjpi9 said:

It was my first time watching Manziel , I was impressed . Most of his passes were right on the money

He looked to have plenty of arm , and his speed is lights out. Not sure how long he can hold up in the nfl with his small frame though.

Is there any thought that a 21 year old might add a little size and bulk over the next 4 years?????

6'1 210!??? No, is toon next to him at the opening during the summer at nike, he's 5'11 about 190.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
CPHawk":n2mxfi9v said:
DTexHawk":n2mxfi9v said:
Russellmania3":n2mxfi9v said:

6'1 210!??? No, is toon next to him at the opening during the summer at nike, he's 5'11 about 190.

Both are from their current rosters by their teams. And only one side "stretches" the truth. ;)

Using your "estimated" 190, you don't think a 21 year old can add 15-20 pounds of "bulk" over the next 4 years? And is there really only 16 pounds difference between bulk and a stick?

Just for the record, Wilson was listed at 5'11" and 191 lbs when he was 21 at NC State in 2009.

http://northcarolinastate.scout.com/a.z?s=178&p=8&c=2&nid=657&yr=2009

ChrisB Bacon

Reaction score
CPHawk":1ddjmown said:
DTexHawk":1ddjmown said:
Russellmania3":1ddjmown said:

Never seen Johnny in person, but I was talking to Luke Joeckel's mom (2nd overall pick, LT from aTm) after the Jaguar game and somehow Johnny came up... She said "He's a really nice kid, but he's not 6 foot..no way." Pretty funny actually. Nice lady.

OP
OP
davidonmi

davidonmi

Reaction score
DTexHawk":3fggenyu said:
Russellmania3":3fggenyu said:

I call BS, no way he is 6-1 210

OP
OP
davidonmi

davidonmi

Reaction score
CPHawk":27akr1ch said:
Better than Farve? No. He's a little taller Doug Flutie, which isn't a bad thing. Had Doug been 5'11, he would have never had to play in the cfl before getting a real shot at the NFL.

Mark it down though, Manziel is playing on the big stage, but a Qb who is similar and maybe better has been playing out of the limelight in Wyoming. Brett Smith.
Flutie is a good comparison, I never said he's better than Favre. I just said his creativity is similar to favre. Favre has a better arm and Johnny better legs. Now that I think about it Flutie is the better comp.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
davidonmi":2ckzbvnp said:
DTexHawk":2ckzbvnp said:
Russellmania3":2ckzbvnp said:

Read the next few posts.

That's what was listed on the rosters this year. And pretty sure both sides stretch things.

Once again, Wilson at the same age (21) was listed at 5'11", 191 lbs. Do you think that was 100% accurate?

Do you thing Manziel can put 10-20 pounds on in the next 4 years?

OP
OP
davidonmi

davidonmi

Reaction score
DTexHawk":9xd5brqf said:
davidonmi":9xd5brqf said:
DTexHawk":9xd5brqf said:
Russellmania3":9xd5brqf said:

Read the next few posts.

That's what was listed on the rosters this year. And pretty sure both sides stretch things.

Once again, Wilson at the same age (21) was listed at 5'11", 191 lbs. Do you think that was 100% accurate?

Do you thing Manziel can put 10-20 pounds on in the next 4 years?
he absolutely can put on 10-20 pounds, I'm just saying that # us a stretch. I don't care if it's official or not

DTexHawk

Reaction score
CPHawk":350p3071 said:
DTexHawk":350p3071 said:
Russellmania3":350p3071 said:

Hmmm!

Guess he's still growing. ;)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... fl-combine

"The former Texas A&M quarterback many expect to be taken in the top three picks in the 2014 NFL Draft, came in at 5-foot-11 3/4, and weighed 207 pounds, according to NFL Media analysts Gil Brandt and Daniel Jeremiah.

Manziel's height is among NFL scouting concerns about his pro potential, although he is widely considered one of the top three quarterbacks in the draft, along with Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater and Central Florida's Blake Bortles.

Manziel's hand size, also important to NFL scouts for quarterback evaluations (particularly smaller quarterbacks), measured large as advertised at 9 7/8 inches."

CPHawk

Reaction score
DTexHawk":wvixb6i5 said:
CPHawk":wvixb6i5 said:
DTexHawk":wvixb6i5 said:
Russellmania3":wvixb6i5 said:

Hmmm!

"The former Texas A&M quarterback many expect to be taken in the top three picks in the 2014 NFL Draft, came in at 5-foot-11 3/4, and weighed 207 pounds, according to NFL Media analysts Gil Brandt and Daniel Jeremiah.

Manziel's height is among NFL scouting concerns about his pro potential, although he is widely considered one of the top three quarterbacks in the draft, along with Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater and Central Florida's Blake Bortles.

Manziel's hand size, also important to NFL scouts for quarterback evaluations (particularly smaller quarterbacks), measured large as advertised at 9 7/8 inches."

Oh good, I hope the texans throw away the #1 pick on him, so Bradley has his choose of the 2 best players in the draft.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
davidonmi":1l2uvlr0 said:
but damn he is a competitor. His passion and competitive drive is unlike something I have ever seen, only comparable to Brady.
His arm, his legs, his intangibles will be the reason he is a superstar at the next level. Maybe I am falling victim to him, but I am praying he doesn't go to STL.
The one thing is he HAS to change his running style, learn how to slide and get out of bounds.

He's the next Favre, just a little shorter and a better runner. He'll throw his picks, he'll make boneheaded plays, but he'll also be one of the best playmakers over the next decade, Favre obviously being a better passer
I know he's the next Favre--he said so himself. He's also the next Russell Wilson, for the same reason.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
CPHawk":2hw0k9s1 said:
DTexHawk":2hw0k9s1 said:
CPHawk":2hw0k9s1 said:

Hmmm!

Oh good, I hope the texans throw away the #1 pick on him, so Bradley has his choose (choice) of the 2 best players in the draft.

I wonder if you are any better at player evaluation or guessing height/weight of someone you stood next to.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I thought when asked an alcohol question by a press member, he was less than stellar in his response. He did not inspire at all. Essentially it was an I won't do that anymore when I am a pro type answer. Yeah, right.

CPHawk

Reaction score
DTexHawk":1gyebqq4 said:
CPHawk":1gyebqq4 said:
DTexHawk":1gyebqq4 said:
CPHawk":1gyebqq4 said:

Hmmm!

Oh good, I hope the texans throw away the #1 pick on him, so Bradley has his choose (choice) of the 2 best players in the draft.

I wonder if you are any better at player evaluation or guessing height/weight of someone you stood next to.

I said 5'11, he was in fact 5'11. Good for him he gained some weight. Is still take Bridgewater over him, I like my Qb to not lose the games for my teams.

What's funny is Texan fans want a new Qb, because they hated how the old one throws passes that shouldn't be thrown, that cost the team. Manziel has made a living off of throwing passes he shouldn't, and getting away with it in college. That won't be the case in the NFL.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
To be fair Manziel is 5-11 and 3/4 you don't round down you round up so for all intents and purposes he is 6 feet. Not that I think it matters anyway.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
Natethegreat":3gksrfym said:
To be fair Manziel is 5-11 and 3/4 you don't round down you round up so for all intents and purposes he is 6 feet. Not that I think it matters anyway.

Technicalities, Nate. Haters gonna hate.

General Manager

Reaction score
I like Manziel I think he will be a solid QB in the NFL certainly better than a lot of the QB's that have gone in the first round over that past few years, but he's not the best QB available this draft .

CPHawk

Reaction score
I don't have Manziel, I just don't see him anywhere near as NFL ready as Wilson was. IMO he's about where Kaep was coming in, but being the #1 pick he won't benefit from a year of learning like Kaep did. Also weight isn't the end all be all. He might be the same weight, but Wilson is ripped and built like a NFL RB, JM is built like a HS basketball player.