Jordan Matthews

Throwdown

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":2wscv2me said:
ImTheScientist":2wscv2me said:
My film studies say this guy is average and can't separate. No thanks....we have plenty of WRs that don't separate already.

You've got to be kidding me?

He watches film, bro

jake206

Reaction score
NFL combine
Strengths-

Good length. Big zone target. Good form as a route runner. Sinks his hips and pops out of breaks. Concentrates, tracks and adjusts. Soft hands and sticky fingers. Has leaping ability to compete in the air. Opens up his stride in the clear and shows nice long speed. Good field awareness. Gives effort as a blocker. Competes and plays with intensity. Tough and intelligent. Lined up outside and inside and has punt-return experience. Team captain and four-year starter with record-setting production.

Sac

Reaction score
jake206":1evx5uco said:
NFL combine
Strengths-

Good length. Big zone target. Good form as a route runner. Sinks his hips and pops out of breaks. Concentrates, tracks and adjusts. Soft hands and sticky fingers. Has leaping ability to compete in the air. Opens up his stride in the clear and shows nice long speed. Good field awareness. Gives effort as a blocker. Competes and plays with intensity. Tough and intelligent. Lined up outside and inside and has punt-return experience. Team captain and four-year starter with record-setting production.

He's a pre-hawk.

jake206

Reaction score
[youtube]LfoPwGsNhco[/youtube]

* Look at his one-handed catches...sick!

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Throwdown":3kutooep said:
CALIHAWK1":3kutooep said:
ImTheScientist":3kutooep said:
My film studies say this guy is average and can't separate. No thanks....we have plenty of WRs that don't separate already.

You've got to be kidding me?

He watches film, bro

Days worth of film on youtube. I then come back and post here as an expert. :th2thumbs:

Seahawkscrazy

Reaction score
TBH, when I crunched my (admittedly massively amateur) numbers, Matthews is one that kept showing up as one that would be in the Hawks wheelhouse. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if we grabbed him at the end of RD1, but it is more likely that we have others rated more highly and thus would wait on him. I'd love to have this guy, IMO he's an outside WR with a pretty good size catch radius, and sneaky speed. Big hands too.

OP
OP
P

pcbball12

Reaction score
pcbball12":1acn8rnh said:
I feel like he is being lost in the shuffle a little bit. But he just had a very solid combine performance . 4.4 40 and is 6'3 with very long arms and the biggest hands in the draft. I for one, love what I see on film. He is not a perfect prospect and has struggled with drops at times, but he flashes true potential number 1 receiver to me. All of this and add in the rumored tremendous work ethic and being "pissed off for greatness", he just screams Seattle to me. You can have Bryant or Coleman, ill put my money on Matthews.
I have since changed my opinion on Martavis Bryant after having access to a few more games and going over the games I already watched. His athleticism really does show up and he makes the most of his targets. Good hands, makes tough catches while contested, goes up and gets the ball, and is very good in the red zone. I now have him ahead of Matthews on my board, although I still do like Matthews.

OP
OP
P

pcbball12

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1t3ui7k9 said:
Pcb, who are your top WRs in order? Like top 7 or 8.
1. Sammy Watkins
2. Mike Evans
3. Odell Beckham Jr.
4. Kelvin Benjamin ( I see why some disagree with this one, but not many guys stretch the field like him at his size, I like rare traits in players).
5. Marquise Lee
6. Jarvis Landry ( solely on tape alone. I get why many will be turned off due to horrific combine, but guy can flat out ball going off tape alone)
7. Brandin Cooks
8. Davante Adams
9. Martavis Bryant
10. Jordan Matthews
11. Allen Robinson
12. Bruce Ellington
13. Paul Richardson
14. Jared Abbrederis
15. Cody Latimer
16. Donte Moncrief

This is a rough ranking, not close to final right now. Some will probably flip flop in the middle after re-watching later on. These rankings are basically solely from what I see on tape, with testing numbers having a SLIGHT impact. Each of these guys I have graded as 1st or 2nd round players. With Moncrief I have him as a 2/3 round guy with the rest either a solid 1st or 2nd. This WR class truly is insane. Have never had this many WR graded in the first two rounds.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
pcbball12":uvnmd8iq said:
Wenhawk":uvnmd8iq said:
1. Sammy Watkins
2. Mike Evans
3. Odell Beckham Jr.
4. Kelvin Benjamin ( I see why some disagree with this one, but not many guys stretch the field like him at his size, I like rare traits in players).
5. Marquise Lee
6. Jarvis Landry ( solely on tape alone. I get why many will be turned off due to horrific combine, but guy can flat out ball going off tape alone)
7. Brandin Cooks
8. Davante Adams
9. Martavis Bryant
10. Jordan Matthews
11. Allen Robinson
12. Bruce Ellington
13. Paul Richardson
14. Jared Abbrederis
15. Cody Latimer
16. Donte Moncrief

This is a rough ranking, not close to final right now. Some will probably flip flop in the middle after re-watching later on. These rankings are basically solely from what I see on tape, with testing numbers having a SLIGHT impact. Each of these guys I have graded as 1st or 2nd round players. With Moncrief I have him as a 2/3 round guy with the rest either a solid 1st or 2nd. This WR class truly is insane. Have never had this many WR graded in the first two rounds.

WOW...you have Moncrief low. If you swapped Landry and Moncrief I would agree 100% with your list.

OP
OP
P

pcbball12

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2xkv75yv said:
pcbball12":2xkv75yv said:
Wenhawk":2xkv75yv said:
1. Sammy Watkins
2. Mike Evans
3. Odell Beckham Jr.
5. Marquise Lee
7. Brandin Cooks
8. Davante Adams
9. Martavis Bryant
10. Jordan Matthews
11. Allen Robinson
12. Bruce Ellington
13. Paul Richardson
14. Jared Abbrederis
15. Cody Latimer
16. Donte Moncrief

WOW...you have Moncrief low. If you swapped Landry and Moncrief I would agree 100% with your list.
Ya, I have made it no secret that I am not as high on Moncrief as many around here. I get the infatuation, he possesses rare athleticism for a guy with his size/bulk. He flashes here and there on film, but not nearly enough for me given how athletic he is. I see a lot of lazy routes and what seems to be less than 100% effort. I see the QB scramble and him completely stop instead of working to get open. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot to like about him. I still have him in the 2nd/3rd round range. Just because he is that low on my list doesn't mean I think he is completely trash, this WR class is just incredibly deep.

As for Landry, ya I understand people being scared off. He had a historically bad combine. His tape is absolutely 1st round tape though, much like Keenan Allens was last year even though he ran a 4.7 at the combine. I get his ENTIRE combine was terrible, but his tape is so good. He is just a good/natural football player. Sometimes you have to put time/testing numbers aside (not always) and just realize that the guy is a damn good football player. I do think the testing will turn the Hawks off from him though, but he will make some team very happy and think he can play right away. Will probably fall like Keenan did as well and should be a steal.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
pcbball12":2hwgw8gn said:
Just because he is that low on my list doesn't mean I think he is completely trash, this WR class is just incredibly deep.

This can't be understated. This class is just outstanding. If I were to put the last three drafts worth of prospects together, it might look something like this:

1. Sammy Watkins
2. Mike Evans
3. Odell Beckham Jr.
5. Marquise Lee
6. Justin Blackmon 2011
7. Jarvis Landry ( solely on tape alone. I get why many will be turned off due to horrific combine, but guy can flat out ball going off tape alone)
8. DeAndre Hopkins 2012
9. Brandin Cooks
10. Tavon Austin 2013
11. Davante Adams
12. Michael Floyd 2012
13. Cordarrelle Patterson 2013
14. Martavis Bryant
15. Kendall Wright 2012
16. Jordan Matthews
17. Allen Robinson
18. Justin Hunter 2013
19. Stephen Hill 2012
20. Alshon Jeffery 2012
21. Bruce Ellington
22. Robert Woods 2013
23. Keenan Allen 2013
24. Paul Richardson
25. Jared Abbrederis
26. Markus Wheaton 2013
27. Cody Latimer
28. Donte Moncrief

And really if you added 2011, you'd add AJ Green at the top of the list, with Julio Jones slotted beneath Mike Evans.

The depth this year is just ridiculous. If you are the 14th best player on the list this year, you're still solidly in the top 25 going back to 2011. I'd drop Ellington to the bottom of this list though. He's not a better prospect than Moncrief by any stretch. I'm just eyeballing this list as provided.

OP
OP
P

pcbball12

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1rqfui4i said:
pcbball12":1rqfui4i said:
Just because he is that low on my list doesn't mean I think he is completely trash, this WR class is just incredibly deep.

This can't be understated. This class is just outstanding. If I were to put the last three drafts worth of prospects together, it might look something like this:

1. Sammy Watkins
2. Mike Evans
3. Odell Beckham Jr.
5. Marquise Lee
6. Justin Blackmon 2011
7. Jarvis Landry ( solely on tape alone. I get why many will be turned off due to horrific combine, but guy can flat out ball going off tape alone)
8. DeAndre Hopkins 2012
9. Brandin Cooks
10. Tavon Austin 2013
11. Davante Adams
12. Michael Floyd 2012
13. Cordarrelle Patterson 2013
14. Martavis Bryant
15. Kendall Wright 2012
16. Jordan Matthews
17. Allen Robinson
18. Justin Hunter 2013
19. Stephen Hill 2012
20. Alshon Jeffery 2012
21. Bruce Ellington
22. Robert Woods 2013
23. Keenan Allen 2013
24. Paul Richardson
25. Jared Abbrederis
26. Markus Wheaton 2013
27. Cody Latimer
28. Donte Moncrief

And really if you added 2011, you'd add AJ Green at the top of the list, with Julio Jones slotted beneath Mike Evans.

The depth this year is just ridiculous. If you are the 14th best player on the list this year, you're still solidly in the top 25 going back to 2011. I'd drop Ellington to the bottom of this list though. He's not a better prospect than Moncrief by any stretch. I'm just eyeballing this list as provided.
I completely agree, historically good year for WR's and most likely played a huge part in the departure/under valuing of Tate.

Ellington and Moncrief are two completely different prospects. I think Ellington can contribute at a high level right away. He is more of a slot player, but could slide outside in a pinch. Also helps that he can return kicks and punts. Just think Ellington is more ready to step in and give quality snaps. Moncrief IMO is gonna take some time to be a consistent contributor. I am lower on him than most though, and he could make me look like a complete fool for it a few years from now (wouldn't be the first time). The talent and tools are there for him to be dynamic. I definitely meant it as no knock against him being 16th on my list, that is still a top 75 player overall for me.

sliv

Reaction score
I'm just getting into the draft this year but this guy is interesting for a number of reasons and it sounds like he has a chip on his shoulder.

jake206

Reaction score
The main thing that jumps out at me is not the raw speed, but the suddenness/crispness of his routes. A lot of good receivers use pure athleticism and speed to win the ball, but the great ones have some looseness in hips and great footwork. He shows more of that then alot of other WR on the board.

BC-Hawk

Reaction score
Matthews is going to be a great pro. His work ethic is off the charts, actually asked for film of the corners he'd be facing at the Senior Bowl. Seems like he'd fit right in with Russell in the film room. Not a lot of buzz about him as a 1st round prospect but JS and PC have proven before they're not afraid to go "off the board" but to me, Matthews is definitely a 1st round talent. The numbers he put up in the SEC without a good QB is extremely impressive. His measureables are terrific and we don't have that big WR to compliment Percy and Doug on the outside. He's got great hands and I don't recall seeing him drop anything in the games I've watched from him. He's got the Jerry Rice bloodlines which is never a bad thing either, I would lose my mind if we made Jordan our pick at 32, perfect fit if you ask me.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Just because you put up numbers at the workouts in Indy doesn't mean everything..There is speed and in game speed ..Some don't have it for whatever reason..This guy I watched on tape in a thread we already had in here ..I saw lack of seperation and he falls at first contact..Why would I be high on a wr2 at best when we got enough of those..He is no Fitz -please!

OP
OP
P

pcbball12

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2zsc0yfo said:
Just because you put up numbers at the workouts in Indy doesn't mean everything..ThereI did is speed and in game speed ..Some don't have it for whatever reasohihis guy I watched on tape in a thread we already had in here ..I saw lack of seperation and he falls at first contact..Why would I be high on a wr2 at best when we got enough of those..He is no Fitz -please!
I merely put those up combine numbers up because people had questions of his athleticism. I promise you i did not get my impression of him from testing numbers, just supported what I saw on film (several games).

You watched a game of his in one of these threads? Hardly enough to make an accurate judgement. He does create separation, in many crafty ways. His speed shows up in a number of ways on tape as well. Hard to have the career he had without creating any separation like many are claiming. No one is claiming him to be Fitz.Those wr's come around every so often and are swooped up in the top 10. He is not my number 1 rated wr or anything, actually my 10th.....but you could see that if you just scrolled up a few inches.

Sac

Reaction score
Jordan Matthews is the all time SEC receiving leader, from Vanderbilt, with a cast of jack squat throwing him the football. A big part of getting separation is QB accuracy and throwing guys open. Jordan Matthews did not have that benefit.