Jordyn Brooks isn't bad at pass coverage

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
https://www.fieldgulls.com/2020/4/27/21 ... draft-2020

Two of the film guys I respect the most, Samuel Gold and @cmikesspinmove on twitter, have been singing the praises of Brooks' pass coverage, contrary to the consensus opinion of his ability.

The mistake media evaluators may have made? Not digging into his 2018 tape.

12 minute breakdown in the link.

[youtube]vk_-WcDc8Kc[/youtube]

aawolf

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3kfuuus8 said:
https://www.fieldgulls.com/2020/4/27/21237869/seahawks-film-room-concerns-jordyn-brooks-pass-coverage-overblown-highlights-nfl-draft-2020

Two of the film guys I respect the most, Samuel Gold and @cmikesspinmove on twitter, have been singing the praises of Brooks' pass coverage, contrary to the consensus opinion of his ability.

The mistake media evaluators may have made? Not digging into his 2018 tape.

12 minute breakdown in the link.

I think the problem evaluating Brooks in the Texas Tech (TT) defense was that the TT defense was REALLY BAD. They gave up an average of 480 yards per game, which is worse than any other Power 5 team. Perhaps if Brooks was on any other Power 5 team, he would have looked better. He was clearly the best player on defense on his team, as he had 30 more tackles than the second best tackler on that team. No doubt he was asked to do more for TT than he would have been for any other program. He's a sideline to sideline player and everyone thought Bobby Wagner was a reach too.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I've read this elsewhere too. People that said he wasn't good at pass coverage only looked at his 2019 tape. Tape where his focus was on the line, and not on coverage.

I don't know much about talent evaluation or watching film, but even I could see that.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Thanks for the edit, Jville. I probably should have done that to begin with, but I'm a lazy poster on mobile lol

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I don't think most analyzers even did their homework. A lot of them probably just heard Louis Riddick's comment and based their snippets on that.

sutz

Reaction score
Reminds me of a player last year. Metcalf was supposedly "limited" because he could only run go routes. Turns out with a little coaching, he's a damn good receiver that can do a lot of things, including a full route tree. It's just that in college, his coach didn't have him do much beyond simple go routes in game action. Another case of a college team not fully exploiting a player's talent, and JS doing his homework and digging a little deeper than just his college highlight reel.

Sounds like Brooks is another example of that. :2thumbs:

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Excellent video on Brooks and how his responsibilities changed with a new head coach. Prior to his senior year Brooks played outside LB and had a lot of assignments that put him in coverage which he was great at. Fast forward to his senior year with a new head coach, he was moved to middle LB and tasked primarily with stopping the run and seek and destroy on the QB. His plays in coverage suffered as a result. It doesn’t mean he can’t cover. Apparently his 2018 tape says differently, which seems to be what Pete and John are going off of, as well as a few other teams who had Brooks rated as their top LB in draft as well.

https://youtu.be/vk_-WcDc8Kc

Latest posts