Josh Gordon suspended one year

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":3ijqg1x6 said:
Hit Mary get 2 games, hit Mary Jane get a year.
While I strongly disagree with Rice's two-game ban, (I think it should have been 6-8) it's hardly comparable. Ray Rice was a model NFL player until that. Gordon has been in trouble a ton.

Also, Gordon's decision to appeal this caused enough of a delay to make him now miss all of training camp NEXT year, which the Browns are pissed about, lol. I can't help but laugh.

OP
OP
SeahawksFanForever

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":14015s6a said:
SeahawksFanForever":14015s6a said:
Hit Mary get 2 games, hit Mary Jane get a year.
While I strongly disagree with Rice's two-game ban, (I think it should have been 6-8) it's hardly comparable. Ray Rice was a model NFL player until that. Gordon has been in trouble a ton.

Also, Gordon's decision to appeal this caused enough of a delay to make him now miss all of training camp NEXT year, which the Browns are pissed about, lol. I can't help but laugh.

I am okay with Josh Gordon getting suspended for a year but I am not okay with Ray Rice getting 2 games.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
That Ray Rice suspension is a fiasco and a good argument can be made that it's offensive. In other news the Cleveland Browns are a dumpster fire.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
At this rate Ray Rice just needs to assault 7 more women to measure up to Gordon ' s one hit. I don't know who's more stupid these guys or the NFL?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":1406ez1y said:
At this rate Ray Rice just needs to assault 7 more women to measure up to Gordon ' s one hit. I don't know who's more stupid these guys or the NFL?
You realize that the NFL wants to punish players more for EVERYTHING, right, and that it's the players union that fights them every time negotiations come about? You think Goodell wanted to only give Ray Rice two games? Ha.

Largent80

Reaction score
I want to cuss. MJ is damn near decriminalized but someone can beat a woman and get way less punishment. What is right about that?

I don't give a shit about past offenses. The crime is what it is.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Largent80":qpwlnd5m said:
I don't give a shit about past offenses. The crime is what it is.
So a guy that kills an innocent person while driving drunk that has had 11 DUIs in the past should have the same punishment as someone doing the same but has never had a DUI? Someone convicted of manslaughter in the past that gets convicted of manslaughter again should have the same punishment as someone who gets convicted of it for the first time?

Come on, Largent. Past offenses matter.

That being said, marijuana should just be legal across the board in our country and not a banned substance in NFL.

That being said part deux, nobody knows what substances Josh Gordon really got suspended for. The league never says, and the players hide behind the least-bad-sounding thing they can name; marijuana and Adderall sound a lot better to we fans than heroin and steroids.

Largent80

Reaction score
Past offenses matter as it COULD show a pattern. I didn't say they didn't. However, beating a woman and smoking weed are vastly different.

The NFL is/has become a sad joke. They make billions of dollars off of us. They fine a team for hitting during a practice. They suspend Browner for a year for PED's, then weed.

What is worse and does the crime fit the punishment?...No in my eyes.

The NFL is a GREED machine. I'm getting close to being done with it.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Largent80":32yaduch said:
Past offenses matter as it COULD show a pattern. I didn't say they didn't.
I guess you didn't literally say it word for word, but you STRONGLY implied it and 100% of the people reading what you said will assume that you did, in fact, say just that; that they didn't. :)

Largent80":32yaduch said:
However, beating a woman and smoking weed are vastly different.
I completely agree.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3fdik6kf said:
You think Goodell wanted to only give Ray Rice two games? Ha.
Yes, or he would have suspended him more games. Correct me if I am wrong, and maybe I missed it, but when Rog was taken heat for this very issue I don't once recall him bringing the union into the discussion or say his hands were tied because of this or that article in the contract/CBA during his spin (press conference).

OkieHawk

Reaction score

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
OkieHawk":1meddp7r said:
Tech Worlds":1meddp7r said:
Largent80":1meddp7r said:
Tech Worlds":1meddp7r said:
Pot head got what he deserved

But alcoholics get a pass?.....perfect.
Who said that Rob? Get multiple dui's and play in the NFL and you will be outta the league fast.

2 players in the history of the NFL have been suspended for DUI related charges.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pl ... by_the_NFL
If a player had as many dui's as Mr Gordon does failed pot tests that player would be outta a job.

Largent80

Reaction score
Dom, explain Aldon Smith. DUI AND illegal weapons....6 games? Really, that is less than smoking weed?

Beating the shit out of a woman = 2 games. Whatever.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Largent80":1mp58om5 said:
Dom, explain Aldon Smith. DUI AND illegal weapons....6 games? Really, that is less than smoking weed?

It's part of the collective bargaining agreement.

Smith has not yet been convicted. The league usually doesn't act until then.

Josh Gordon knew what he was doing when he signed up to be in the union. He signed up for these rules. All the other players did as well yet they seam to be able to live their lives within the framework of their employment agreement.

mikeak

Reaction score
The league has multiple times had suspensions overturned by arbitration. They happen at these "judgement penalties" for low hits, or behavior detrimental to the league. So they have adjusted and instead are dealing out suspensions that they know won't get changed in arbitration -- such as Rice's 2 game suspension.

Josh Gordon's penalty is established by the number of games in the CBA. It was clear cut the number of games he could get and aligns with other players getting suspended.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1pwc49g0 said:
Correct me if I am wrong.
You're wrong. Well, we don't know for sure, but you likely are. :) The CBA says that any player suspensions, period, must involve consultation with the head of the NFL Players Association. Doesn't mean the NFL has to let them dictate punishment or changes to what the NFL wants to do, but there's obviously discussion. First-time offenders are limited to a maximum suspension of four games for "discipline related to violation of the law", so we already know that Ray Rice's MAXIMUM under the CBA and substance abuse policy would be a suspension of four games. Now, is it safe to assume that in general terms, the NFLPA and NFL try to get along where possible, that they don't just try to butt heads behind closed doors for the sake of it over everything?

Assuming you agree with that, if a player who has been in the league for a while like Ray Rice has gets in trouble for the first time, can we agree with the idea that the NFLPA will point out that he has been a model player for years and that he should not be handed down the maximum punishment allowed?

Now, assuming you agree in general terms with both of those things...What is left? A compromise of two games, the way I see it. The NFL doesn't want to piss its players off unnecessarily, so for a player who has never been in trouble through six NFL seasons, the NFL still needs to punish him but needs to acknowledge that he has not been a problem child. A compromise of two games, even though the NFL by default likely just wants to hand out harsh penalties for everything, seems like the logical outcome.

If you disagree with this line of reasoning, logically and without hatred toward any one person or entity lay out your differing case, please.

Largent80":1pwc49g0 said:

Read the documents I linked in this reply. :)