JR Sweezy

hawknation2014

Reaction score
jblaze":2kt2x8hi said:
Via twitter today they said Bowie is up to 330, Bailey at 320, Sweezy up to 320 and Carp down to 320 so they've very happy with where they're at.

Bowie, Bailey, and Sweezy are going to be beasts this year. The development of these young linemen, as well as the health of the Pro Bowlers Unger/Okung, is pivotal to their pursuit of a second championship.

jblaze

Reaction score
hawknation2014":3mewm6jb said:
jblaze":3mewm6jb said:
Via twitter today they said Bowie is up to 330, Bailey at 320, Sweezy up to 320 and Carp down to 320 so they've very happy with where they're at.

Bowie, Bailey, and Sweezy are going to be beasts this year. The development of these young linemen, as well as the health of the Pro Bowlers Unger/Okung, is pivotal to their pursuit of a second championship.

I agree, I saw a lot of development last year during the Okung/Breno/Unger injuries. Then they get a solid offseason with Cable and they should be much better. I forget where I read it but I read somewhere that they don't intend to spend a ton of money on the OL or use high draft picks. The way the offense is built with a run first philosophy with a big play pass game doesn't require the OL commitment other offenses do. The way most teams spend their OL money is on two guys (LT and one other), and rookies or journeymen in the other spots. That appears true on our team as well.

I think they'll continue to draft mid to late round guys for the OL and grab some UDFA's as well and just let them compete. They've got to be discount shoppers somewhere and apparently that's where they think they can get value.

If you have followed Tom Cable at all, you know his OL's never are top 10 in pass pro but are very good at run blocking. With the zone blocking scheme, they want athletic guys who can get to the second level and pancake block in the run game and be sufficient in pass pro.

I think JR is above average but not great obviously. He's a project. I love the idea of taking a DT and coverting him though, takes a ton of confidence and foresight to see that and make it happen.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Carp is down to 320? That is very intriguing.

I think Sweezy was improved last year. Really looking forward to seeing him next year.

jblaze

Reaction score
Carp is on a make it or break it year too, he'll either be making a lot of money from his play this year or the vet min somewhere.

He had that knee injury that he never seemed to recover from with the weight problems but he has potential. At this point though, he's been a bust.

I hope he turns it around. It's clear his spot is in question though since he got benched late last year. Also I still think we draft a versatile OG/OT early to fight for the RT, RG and LG spots.

bigcc

Reaction score
jblaze":2ppw039x said:
Carp is on a make it or break it year too, he'll either be making a lot of money from his play this year or the vet min somewhere.

He had that knee injury that he never seemed to recover from with the weight problems but he has potential. At this point though, he's been a bust.

I hope he turns it around. It's clear his spot is in question though since he got benched late last year. Also I still think we draft a versatile OG/OT early to fight for the RT, RG and LG spots.

Carp needs to prove it MUCH more so, Sweezy is under contract through the 2015 season..... Carp is a UFA after THIS year

Hawks46

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":1a28dkr2 said:
Y'all would be surprised how quickly someone can put on weight when that's basically your life. Not to mention, he's obviously got the genes to be able to get that big. The real trick is being able to bulk up without losing athleticism.

I trained at API one summer (college baseball). I was on the low-level Amateur plan and literally transformed my body in 6 weeks (not to mentioned drop tenths of a second off my 60 time). This is the same place that trains guys for the Combine. They do every sort of test you can imagine. After each workout (2 workouts per day, speed training, strength training) they gave each of us personalized recovery shakes. Everyone had different amounts of protein, simple carbs, complex carbs, fatty acids, Amino Acids, you name it, that was specifically tailored for our needs, not only based on our body composition, but the type of workout we did.

20 lbs (mostly good weight) in 5 weeks for a guy like Sweazy might seem like a lot, but don't forget the resources/time these guys have. Again, when your singular focus is on training/nutrition, it's a lot easier to accomplish these types of things. Not to mention, the grind of an NFL season can make one lose a lot of good muscle mass. Combine that with taking some time off after the Super Bowl to let the body heal, and it's pretty easy to see how a guy like him good make a big change like that. And to beat a dead horse, the genes to do so helps.

Spot on. Everyone is different, and it's easier for some guys to gain weight than others. It's also proportionate: Sweezy gaining 20 lbs of muscle on his frame and height is a ton easier than me gaining 20 lbs on my frame and at 5'11". That said, I don't work out much anymore, but with a personalized training program, I could work out 2 times a day all week, and if I didn't have to worry about working, I could spend a good part of the day recuperating, which helps build muscle. Put me in that program and with my frame, I could add 7-10 lbs of muscle in the first 2 weeks fairly easily. Then again, I'd lose a fair amount of fat weight as well. :lol:

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Sweezy may have put on 20 lbs in 5 weeks, but he didn't add 20 lbs of muscle. A reasonable percentage of that will be fat (especially given the rate in this case), and the rest is lean body mass (not muscle). That includes things like bone density and connective tissue, which are just as critical to strength development as muscle tissue.

Sweezy may also have been at this weight, strength, and composition level at some point which would make it much easier to get back to quickly. As someone else said, he may have been at quite a bit higher strength and weight level before the season started. The football season is detrimental to strength, particularly in an advanced or elite athlete.

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
jblaze":908guh6x said:

Wouldn't be surprised if he didn't even make the team. Can save about another 1.5 mill.

bigcc

Reaction score
bmorepunk":1cskj7o6 said:
Sweezy may have put on 20 lbs in 5 weeks, but he didn't add 20 lbs of muscle. A reasonable percentage of that will be fat (especially given the rate in this case), and the rest is lean body mass (not muscle). That includes things like bone density and connective tissue, which are just as critical to strength development as muscle tissue.

Sweezy may also have been at this weight, strength, and composition level at some point which would make it much easier to get back to quickly. As someone else said, he may have been at quite a bit higher strength and weight level before the season started. The football season is detrimental to strength, particularly in an advanced or elite athlete.

He was listed at 293 in college.... so he's been adding weight, not working back towards something (not to mention weights are measured before the season starts).

Even at 298, he added 6.7 percent of his total body weight in 5 weeks, and its HARDER to gain weight at that level as you burn calories at a more rapid rate.

Sorry, I'd be impressed if he put on 20 lbs and MAINTAINED his previous BF%, let alone put on mostly muscle and lowered it at that pace.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
In the picture, it looks like Sweezy is carrying more "good weight" than he did a year ago. He has the upper body build of a taller Richie Incognito. He could stand to add more strength to his lower body, which will make him more explosive off the line of scrimmage.

534c292290685image

082113-9-NFL-Seahawks-Falcons-OB-PI_2013082121083778_660_320.JPG

Happy

Reaction score
It ain't easy being sweezy.

I've been wanting to say that for a long time.

please continue ::sips brain toniq::

Jville

Reaction score
My favorite quote from the article. >>>> “Sometimes, I practiced longer than everybody else. I wanted to do whatever I could to be the best player that I could.

“And,” he added, “I always ate all my vegetables.” - JR Sweezy

It shows.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Ziggyy108":23j1okin said:
Wouldn't be surprised if he didn't even make the team. Can save about another 1.5 mill.

I would be surprised if they cut Carpenter. It's hard to cut ties with a starter you selected in the First Round just to save $1.5 million. Also, depth on the offensive line is not that great. They may need Bailey to start at LT if Okung misses any games. And that could leave us in trouble at guard if injuries happen again.

Whether Bailey overtakes Carpenter at LG could depend on whether they draft an OT who is good enough to play as a rookie. Whether they move Bailey to LG or not, he needs to improve his run blocking. Bailey is light on his feet as a pass blocker and does a great job mirroring the rusher, but he lacks pop in his run blocking. I think that's why he went undrafted; his athleticism is fantastic for his size, but he just looks apathetic when run blocking.

But then again, Carpenter was the worst run blocker on the team, and one of the five worst run blocking LGs in the NFL in 2013 (per PFF). And I don't think he's close to being as good a pass blocker as Bailey. The only edge Carpenter seems to hold over Bailey is (1) starting experience at LG and (2) hype that has not matched production.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2lop52t4 said:
Contract year... Of course Carp is trying harder. Nice to see him finally motivated.

I think that's unfair. He has always tried hard when he is in the game and has dealt with a lot of injuries. He has been injured almost every offseason.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":66qzmi27 said:
20 pounds in 5 weeks?

Totally natural and all muscle, I'm sure....

I think it's safe to assume that not all of that is muscle. Not even close is what I recon.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Sweezy "won" the starting spot because there wasn't competition.

If you let two bad players compete for the same spot then you're guaranteeing that one of the bad players gets the spot.

Make him compete against an average guard and he will lose and be a respectable backup.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Russell Wilson is the prototype leader. He's not going to knock any teammate. When has he put a member of his team on the spot? Never has and doubt he ever will. That's a true leader. Sweezy is progressing but he has a long road ahead of him if he's going to be a HOF. He needs to be consistent and solid before anything else. One game he's lights out and then next he's a turnstile. Actually the whole interior portion of the Seahawk OL could use a boost/upgrade.

Latest posts