K.J. Wright on NFL.com's All-Underrated Team

two dog

Reaction score
So Wright is underrated, overpaid and average to average plus. No wonder
he's considered underrated when his team's fans don't seem to like him
that much. Some would be happy to see him go down the road.

That's fine, everyone's opinion is as good anyone else's opinion.
But remember that those 107 tackles have to come from somewhere.
That's a lot of tackles to replace. I like him.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
two dog":10wvlfh9 said:

The guy is very versatile, but unfortunately he's a liability in coverage, and sometimes he can get in his own way. He's not a weakness, but I don't think he's a major asset either. Tackles do not always tell the full story. For example, David Hawthorne's production from the years 2009 - 2011 (Hawthorne's first three years as a starter) look very similar to Lofa Tatupu's first three years as a starting middle linebacker (Tatupu was a three time probowler, and considered one of the best MLB's during this period of time). What those stats don't tell you about is Hawthorne's lack of range, dubious coverage skills, and tendency to over commit on running plays. That is why the Seahawks replaced Hawthorne with Bobby Wagner, and it made a huge difference immediately.

I view Wright the same way as I viewed Hawthorne. Hawthorne was not a bad linebacker by any means, but he was a player that is, and was easy to replace with a lower cost, more explosive alternative. That is why his deal came as a surprise to me, as well as many others. Especially since huge Wagner, and Wilson contacts are coming soon, and Wagner is the better player between the two linebackers.

justafan

Reaction score
“He’s a fantastic coverage guy. He has great instincts, he’s got great sense, he studies really hard, he’s got tremendous range because he is so long, he runs really well, he’s a fast guy too, and he’s got a good attitude about challenging. We’ve put him up against a lot of really good players and he’s matched up with all of them so we have no problem continuing to count on that. He’s got really all of the tools, and he has the addition of having the real good length. His arm length is really a factor in how he covers guys.”

Petes opinion of his coverage skill.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
justafan":1de2eip3 said:
“He’s a fantastic coverage guy. He has great instincts, he’s got great sense, he studies really hard, he’s got tremendous range because he is so long, he runs really well, he’s a fast guy too, and he’s got a good attitude about challenging. We’ve put him up against a lot of really good players and he’s matched up with all of them so we have no problem continuing to count on that. He’s got really all of the tools, and he has the addition of having the real good length. His arm length is really a factor in how he covers guys.”

The question I have is how much stock can you really put in Pete's public statement on his own player? Have you ever seen a high profile head coach come out and openly criticize his own players? Pete Carroll is infamous for being extremely positive and complementary towards his players. I think he would be one of the last people to say anything negative about his guys in the media.

Saying anything negative could result in a locker room rift and loss of faith in the coach. Just look at what Jim Mora's jabs directed at his O-Lineman accomplished? I think one of the reasons why he lost his job so quickly is, because he lost the locker room.

That being said, it isn't that Wright is a bad linebacker, it's just that he is a replaceable cog in the wheel. He isn't a structural piece of the Seattle Seahawks defense, he is a decorative piece.

No matter what Carroll may say about his coverage, I think it is a weak spot in his game. He has definitely been exploited there during the 2014 season. Where he really shines is breaking up screen plays. I always feel like I see him breaking up screen plays when they are thrown on his side. He's very good at sniffing them out.

justafan

Reaction score
He put is money where his mouth is.Watch the saints game again.Ran with Jimmy Graham .Shut down Sproles screen passes.The guy had a fantastic game.He is one of my favorite players on the D.IMO almost everyones opinion of his game in this thread is off base.He is underated in my opinion.All people remember is the Gronk and assumes he cant cover when actually its one of his strengths.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Again the dude is still learning how to play in space and in coverage. He'll be better especially when he starts getting live practice reps vs Graham.

nanomoz

Reaction score
It's worth pointing out that he's still only 25. Three years younger than Bruce Irvin.

grizbob

Reaction score
nanomoz":1xixrrp4 said:
It's worth pointing out that he's still only 25. Three years younger than Bruce Irvin.

So what he's immature now?! :mrgreen:

kearly

Reaction score
Wright is a good coverage LB within 15 yards of the LOS. But once he's chasing his assignment down the field, you have to hope like hell the QB doesn't see it.

I think more than any player on our defense, Wright has defined strengths and weaknesses. The way I feel about Wright is kind of the way I feel about the Mariners catcher Mike Zunino. Awesome in some areas, but kills you in others. Add the good and bad together, and both are slightly above average players. As long as Zunino is cheap, he's nice to have. I wouldn't want to see the M's make him one of the highest paid catchers though.

two dog

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1u0qx7ck said:
two dog":1u0qx7ck said:

The guy is very versatile, but unfortunately he's a liability in coverage, and sometimes he can get in his own way. He's not a weakness, but I don't think he's a major asset either. Tackles do not always tell the full story. For example, David Hawthorne's production from the years 2009 - 2011 (Hawthorne's first three years as a starter) look very similar to Lofa Tatupu's first three years as a starting middle linebacker (Tatupu was a three time probowler, and considered one of the best MLB's during this period of time). What those stats don't tell you about is Hawthorne's lack of range, dubious coverage skills, and tendency to over commit on running plays. That is why the Seahawks replaced Hawthorne with Bobby Wagner, and it made a huge difference immediately.

I view Wright the same way as I viewed Hawthorne. Hawthorne was not a bad linebacker by any means, but he was a player that is, and was easy to replace with a lower cost, more explosive alternative. That is why his deal came as a surprise to me, as well as many others. Especially since huge Wagner, and Wilson contacts are coming soon, and Wagner is the better player between the two linebackers.

You state your opinion very well though I have never found comparing players from different times and
different teams too compelling because of the different roles players are asked to fill by previous
coaching staffs. But I will never belittle 107 tackles no matter who made them. Though Hawthorne
left voluntarily through FA he was on his way out so your characterization of him being replaced
seems to me accurate.

Wagner is a better linebacker than Wright ? You'd have to find someone who knew little of Seahawk
football to argue with that. That's why Wagner is going to make twice as much money as Wright.

Quite honestly, when Wright was taken with a fourth round selection, it was a "who's he ?" moment for me.
I was, however, actively rooting for the selection of Wagner. In the season and the all-star games he not
only showed great wheels but went to the ball without false steps. That's a scary-good combination.

justafan

Reaction score
kearly":2pudgar2 said:
Wright is a good coverage LB within 15 yards of the LOS. But once he's chasing his assignment down the field, you have to hope like hell the QB doesn't see it.

I think more than any player on our defense, Wright has defined strengths and weaknesses. The way I feel about Wright is kind of the way I feel about the Mariners catcher Mike Zunino. Awesome in some areas, but kills you in others. Add the good and bad together, and both are slightly above average players. As long as Zunino is cheap, he's nice to have. I wouldn't want to see the M's make him one of the highest paid catchers though.

I never want to see a 6 4 250 lb LB running down field with the premier TEs in the league but thats exactly what Carroll ask of him.Most OC scheme how to get mismatches like that and Carroll gives them what they want.
Wright often gets the best of them because of his intelligence and homework.
I was afraid he would try to do that with Gronk and thats what happened.
But I dont see that as a knock on Wright.Almost every LB in the leagues weakness is running downfield in 1 on 1 matchups.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Wright, IMO, is a decent enough player.

One of the things that always happens on really successful teams though is that very good players get reinterpreted as the best players and decent piece players get reinterpreted as "underrated" players.

It's one of the reasons why really great teams get pecked to death so frequently, as over time all of their role players get signed away to massively over-inflated FA deals. It happens to everyone (e.g. Irvin will end up being ridiculously overpaid just as Browner, Maxwell, Bryant, Clemons, Carpenter have been ridiculously overpaid).

Jville

Reaction score
The appearance of overpaying a player to jump start a program or introduce badly needed traits is not ridiculous IMHO. Teams only appear to overpay in the eyes of those outside of an understanding as to "why".

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1ogxrq8q said:
Wright, IMO, is a decent enough player.

One of the things that always happens on really successful teams though is that very good players get reinterpreted as the best players and decent piece players get reinterpreted as "underrated" players.

It's one of the reasons why really great teams get pecked to death so frequently, as over time all of their role players get signed away to massively over-inflated FA deals. It happens to everyone (e.g. Irvin will end up being ridiculously overpaid just as Browner, Maxwell, Bryant, Clemons, Carpenter have been ridiculously overpaid).

Just a few corrections: Browner was never overpaid. He made just $2.7 million with the Patriots. His $5 million average with the Saints is in tune with his market value, IMO. Although you didn't mention him, Tate also received fair market value. Giacomini's deal was also around market value.

Bryant and Clemons didn't leave in free agency; they were both released by the Seahawks to make room for Bennett and Avril's deals last year.

Maxwell and Carpenter I agree were overpaid this off-season; they are probably the only true examples of that.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
hawknation2015":kc748swq said:
Outside linebacker: K.J. Wright, Seattle Seahawks
Wright narrowly edges the Titans' Derrick Morgan, based on Wright's greater experience at the linebacker position and his versatility within Seattle's defense; he could play inside or outside, as we saw when he filled in for an injured Bobby Wagner last season. Speaking of Wagner, how many Seahawks defenders get at least 10 times the press given to Wright? Let's see, there's Wagner, Michael Bennett, Brandon Mebane, Bruce Irvin, Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor. And yet, Wright was the one who led the team in tackles (107) in 2014.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap30000 ... rated-team

Led the best defense in the league in tackles, had three forced fumbles, and led the LB corps in passes defended. Can play all three LB positions relatively well, and despite being regularly attacked for allowing a few receptions to TEs, he has been solid overall in coverage and no worse than Wagner in that area. Nice to see Wright getting some recognition, even if it's for not getting enough recognition.

[youtube]TnXOzhxNDaY[/youtube]
Color me not surprised. You think the FO just gave him a really nice contract to be nice? Or just for his loyalty and willingness to do whatever the team needs? The second two were definitely factors to a degree but the fact is he produces at a pretty high level to say the least.

justafan

Reaction score
The OPs thread really has nothing to do with what he gets paid.Its about being underrated.
I have read that he cant cover,compared to Hawthorn which I dont understand at all,and called barely average by the fanbase that watches him more than anyone.
If thats not underrated I dont know what is.
The only thing that makes his pay relevant is that the FO has enough faith in his ability and what he means to the team that they made sure he was one of the core players that they locked up for the future.And they are the few that think that much of him.The rest underrate what he brings to the team.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1z3ygtiy said:
Again the dude is still learning how to play in space and in coverage. He'll be better especially when he starts getting live practice reps vs Graham.

Watch what happens after he picks Lofa's brain. Lofa was slower than our slowest LB, but still excelled in coverage. The quicker he can breakdown what's happening, the better.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":kvtff9ic said:
justafan":kvtff9ic said:

The question I have is how much stock can you really put in Pete's public statement on his own player? Have you ever seen a high profile head coach come out and openly criticize his own players? Pete Carroll is infamous for being extremely positive and complementary towards his players. I think he would be one of the last people to say anything negative about his guys in the media.

Saying anything negative could result in a locker room rift and loss of faith in the coach. Just look at what Jim Mora's jabs directed at his O-Lineman accomplished? I think one of the reasons why he lost his job so quickly is, because he lost the locker room.

That being said, it isn't that Wright is a bad linebacker, it's just that he is a replaceable cog in the wheel. He isn't a structural piece of the Seattle Seahawks defense, he is a decorative piece.

No matter what Carroll may say about his coverage, I think it is a weak spot in his game. He has definitely been exploited there during the 2014 season. Where he really shines is breaking up screen plays. I always feel like I see him breaking up screen plays when they are thrown on his side. He's very good at sniffing them out.
Yes, but Pete said all that in addition to the team giving KJ a nice extension/raise. They put their money behind Pete's words, which tells me they believe what he said.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
From the very first snap I seen of KJ wright I knew he was going to be a beast , which he is . I thought to myself " that wasn't Aaron Curry , who is that ?" I remember him stepping right in as a rookie and has been a consistent above average player . I know we aren't as good without wright on the field . He is like Mebane in the sense that he'll be with this team for a long time .

I am surprised in many of you hating on his game . He is certainly not a weak link . I don't think it would be fair to judge any player by $ value especially since the Seahawks don't when determining the depth chart .

KJ wright is a leader on this team and is worth more money then what he makes

Latest posts