Kaepernick to remain in SF, compete for starting nod

NINEster

Reaction score
rideaducati":1e70qwy2 said:
NINEster":1e70qwy2 said:
rideaducati":1e70qwy2 said:
If it is truly a fair competition for the starting job in Santa Clara, Kaepernick won't be starting. Gabbert is a better QB. I don't see how they could keep Kaepernick and pay him over $10 million more than their starter.

Not sure if Gabbert is better than Kaepernick. I think Gabbert has a lot of the tools to be a very good NFL QB, just like Kap has had the tools as well. Has Wilson had a TD run as long as Gabbert? I don't believe so.

Gabbert played better than Kap in some games last year, but at the same time he also benefited from the "do no wrong" backup QB swag. Kap once had that backup QB swag and had unreal confidence. Then you become the entrenched starter and things naturally get harder.

Additionally the 49ers had a terrible team last year.....no OL, a confused defense, no Carlos Hyde for a bunch of games.

I like to say that a QB is usually under/over rated compared to the typical media/fan narrative. So for example I feel that Kap was overrated in 2012 and underrated in 2013 and 2014. Cam Newton overrated this season.

Gabbert never had a fair shake in his career, until this season.

Those were some terrible Jaguar teams. No young QB would have done well there. Russell Wilson would already have been out of the league if he was a starter there in 2012 because he would have sucked too and his lack of height would have been the fall for it easily.

When I look back and see early Roethlisberger and Eli Manning, and look at them now.......I know hands down that organizational stability and coaching is what will factor in most for QB success.

Gabbert is better than Kaepernick, but that in no way means that Gabbert is good...it means that Kaepernick is REALLY bad.

No.

In this league you can look very bad one year (Cam Newton in 2014) and very good the next (Cam Newton 2015).

Just be really really grateful the Seahawks never faced the adversity as a team that the 49ers and Panthers did. And it appears as if Wilson has been on the team long enough that he'll probably be immune to outright struggling like the others did.

The performance up tick of Andy Dalton and Carson Palmer also support this concept of QBs playing better over time.

You have no concept at all the synergy needed for a QB to perform at a high level.

Just another blind Seahawk homer that really thinks Russell Wilson is an amazing QB while the rest of the league are a bunch of average to decent QBs.

Enjoy having the luxury of the benefit of the doubt for now. All I know is if Kap turned in a season that Wilson turned in last year and stunk it up against Minnesota and Carolina, I wouldn't exactly be defending him right now.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
NINEster":1wmih4dj said:
rideaducati":1wmih4dj said:
NINEster":1wmih4dj said:
rideaducati":1wmih4dj said:
If it is truly a fair competition for the starting job in Santa Clara, Kaepernick won't be starting. Gabbert is a better QB. I don't see how they could keep Kaepernick and pay him over $10 million more than their starter.

Not sure if Gabbert is better than Kaepernick. I think Gabbert has a lot of the tools to be a very good NFL QB, just like Kap has had the tools as well. Has Wilson had a TD run as long as Gabbert? I don't believe so.

Gabbert played better than Kap in some games last year, but at the same time he also benefited from the "do no wrong" backup QB swag. Kap once had that backup QB swag and had unreal confidence. Then you become the entrenched starter and things naturally get harder.

Additionally the 49ers had a terrible team last year.....no OL, a confused defense, no Carlos Hyde for a bunch of games.

I like to say that a QB is usually under/over rated compared to the typical media/fan narrative. So for example I feel that Kap was overrated in 2012 and underrated in 2013 and 2014. Cam Newton overrated this season.

Those were some terrible Jaguar teams. No young QB would have done well there. Russell Wilson would already have been out of the league if he was a starter there in 2012 because he would have sucked too and his lack of height would have been the fall for it easily.

When I look back and see early Roethlisberger and Eli Manning, and look at them now.......I know hands down that organizational stability and coaching is what will factor in most for QB success.

Gabbert is better than Kaepernick, but that in no way means that Gabbert is good...it means that Kaepernick is REALLY bad.

No.

In this league you can look very bad one year (Cam Newton in 2014) and very good the next (Cam Newton 2015).

Just be really really grateful the Seahawks never faced the adversity as a team that the 49ers and Panthers did. And it appears as if Wilson has been on the team long enough that he'll probably be immune to outright struggling like the others did.

The performance up tick of Andy Dalton and Carson Palmer also support this concept of QBs playing better over time.

You have no concept at all the synergy needed for a QB to perform at a high level.

Just another blind Seahawk homer that really thinks Russell Wilson is an amazing QB while the rest of the league are a bunch of average to decent QBs.

Enjoy having the luxury of the benefit of the doubt for now. All I know is if Kap turned in a season that Wilson turned in last year and stunk it up against Minnesota and Carolina, I wouldn't exactly be defending him right now.

Yeah you would, he's a Niner.

rideaducati

Reaction score
NINEster":1377n1m0 said:
rideaducati":1377n1m0 said:
NINEster":1377n1m0 said:
rideaducati":1377n1m0 said:

No.

Kaepernick has never had a great year. He has been exactly the same all along...it just took a bit of time for defensive coordinators to figure him out so niner fans thought he was "All World" way too soon.

Russell Wilson isn't the best QB in the league, but he is definitely among the best. He is smart enough to know what his deficiencies are and good enough to fix those deficiencies.

Russell had to work hard before people started to give him credit for being good. Kaepernick was given unearned credit for being good so he didn't think he had, or needed to work on deficiencies...until his team was no longer good enough to hide his deficiencies. Then, all of the sudden, three years too late, Kaepernick found out he actually did have things he needed to work on and was cocky enough to actually believe all of those issues could be fixed in a six week period of one off-season. It is difficult to change 20 years worth of habits in six weeks...and it showed.

I don't think Kaepernick will ever be a top 10 QB because he doesn't know how to self evaluate his weaknesses and definitely doesn't know how to fix them...because he doesn't know he has them. He is caught in a vicious circle that he won't ever escape. His only chance is to be what he always has been and have a great team around him. Even then, he won't offer much help to the team so I don't think he'll be around very long.

Kaepernick is now in his sixth season and still has the issues he had as a rookie. He is basically a 28 year old rookie.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Agree with rideducati.

The difference for Kap is pretty simple. Elite level O-line play along with excellent running game and defense and he looked pretty good but once the O-line and running game declined and Kap was forced to make decisions under pressure he failed miserably and that got so deep in his head even the easy plays became difficult.

If Kaep ends up on another team and the O-line isn't elite level, he will continue to struggle and spiral into what he became last year.

I have said it all along, he is to immature. It shows on and off the field and at 28 he likely has already reached his peak in mental growth. Always figured 9er fans were delusional to think Kap was going to reach his potential because all his actions suggested he wouldn't.

Wilson on the other hand has yet to even play behind an average O-line let alone an elite one and yet even with one of the woest O-lines in the league he has continued to grow and exceed expectations. Last year was possibly the absolute worst case scenario with the O-line struggles, no pass blocking from the RB or Te positions and a below average FB to boot yet statistically Wilson had his best year ever even cycling through RB's he lead the league in QB rating despite all that, the schedule and playing in the NFC west.

Trying to compare Wilson and Kap with all the proof on the table is a fools attempt and would only ever be made by a delusional 9er/Kap fan.

Latest posts