Kam and Avril's careers over?

Vaclav44

Reaction score
poly1274":3rku33r4 said:
WindCityHawk":3rku33r4 said:
poly1274":3rku33r4 said:
WindCityHawk":3rku33r4 said:
I'm stupid about this stuff, so humor me: if they retired, would we get any comp picks for them?

And would they still count against the cap, or would it free up their money?

If they retire you don't get any comp picks and it would free up their money for other players. Cutting Avril makes lot of sense if he doesn't want to retire.

Those contracts could buy some quality linemen.

Kam wouldn't retire dude. Who wants to retire when you get PAID.

Having to retire is different from wanting to retire. Who would play for millions at a (higher) risk of paralysis? When they already have made bank? Not me, that's for sure.

poly1274

Reaction score
Vaclav44":21xyq08f said:
poly1274":21xyq08f said:
WindCityHawk":21xyq08f said:
poly1274":21xyq08f said:
If they retire you don't get any comp picks and it would free up their money for other players. Cutting Avril makes lot of sense if he doesn't want to retire.

Those contracts could buy some quality linemen.

Kam wouldn't retire dude. Who wants to retire when you get PAID.

Having to retire is different from wanting to retire. Who would play for millions at a (higher) risk of paralysis? When they already have made bank? Not me, that's for sure.

You can't force players to retire. Would you be willing to sit out $25mill or would you play next season, for 12mill? Where you don't need to play all games.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
I think it is one of the things that needs to be handled in the next collective bargaining agreement. If you sign a contract and you are injured, and are forced to retire that money needs to come off the books in the interest of both parties. The player needs to get paid and the Team needs to be able use that money elsewhere.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
If Avril and Kam are gone, then re-signing McDougald and Sheldon Richardson become more of priority. They should be able to bring back both. I hope they do.

poly1274

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3tqgqivd said:
If Avril and Kam are gone, then re-signing McDougald and Sheldon Richardson become more of priority. They should be able to bring back both. I hope they do.

Could Mcdougald played a good season because he was in his contract year?

semiahmoo

Reaction score
bevellisthedevil":2tcnymyp said:
I think it is one of the things that needs to be handled in the next collective bargaining agreement. If you sign a contract and you are injured, and are forced to retire that money needs to come off the books in the interest of both parties. The player needs to get paid and the Team needs to be able use that money elsewhere.

Agreed.

Redsand187

Reaction score
Kam is guaranteed 25 million, but how does that work? Spotrac says part guarantee hits in February, and then the last part in 2019. If he's physically unable to perform can they cut him and not pay or is that money guaranteed, just not paid until the date whether or not he's not on the roster?

BigBill1945

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3c0sbgk4 said:
BigBill1945":3c0sbgk4 said:
My specialty is the spine. Based on the information (sparse as it is) I would not recommend that they continue playing. Both apparently had bilateral paresthesias in the arms. This suggests possible trauma to the cord. It could be anything from a disc protrusion onto the central cord to a contusion. The nerves that pass out laterally in the cervical spine can produce symptoms into the arms but typically it is unilateral only affecting the level where nerve exits the spine.. Discs are more common in their age group with trauma. Having not seen their MRI, it is only a guess on the possibilities as the information is pretty limited.
So if it's one they could play again but if other then time to say goodbye..?

I would recommend that they do not play. I know Peyton Manning had surgery on his neck. He had some nerve damage and weakness in his throwing arm. Kam and Cliff are at a greater risk for injury due to the positions they play and how they play. Of course they will have to make that decision if their surgery or treatment plan is successful. I still would not risk it. Stan Herring and the other team docs are going to have some decisions to make. We are looking at some potential liability issues if either were to get more damage.

BigBill1945

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":3lwcqbza said:
RussB":3lwcqbza said:
Is kams injury really that bad? I did not think a stinger could end a career i thought it was temporary.

There are shoulder stingers too. At least that is what we called them. Tough hit on the shoulder makes your whole arm go numb.

This is true. But they had bilateral paresthesias. This was not a stinger. Stingers go away very quickly. They are usually caused by a stretch of the brachial plexus with abrupt sidebending of the head. The stuff that happened to them was either forced extension or flexion of the head and neck.

chris98251

Reaction score
If you look at what got Avril it was the heel of the player hitting his jaw and pushing his head up at a extreme angle, Kam's neck was torqued severely to the side on a hit.

Latest posts