Kam Hall of Famer?

kidhawk

Reaction score
To me, Kam is exactly the type of player that the HOF is meant for. He's a unique player who defined (redefined) his position. He was one of (if not the) most feared safety in the game. He definitely belongs in the HOF, but I still doubt he gets in (at least through the conventional means). If he ever does get in, I think it's more likely to be by the veteran committee years down the road. And that is still a big if.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Tical21":zwxodd60 said:
he only had 2-3 years where he was amongst the elite at his position. We forget that he would throw years in every now and again where he was kind of a liability against the pass. Then would seemingly recover the next year.

I'd say no, and no shot, but our defense was soooo good....can it really be that only Sherm and Earl and maybe Wagner get in? Seems to me that a defense that good should get another guy or two. Maybe not.
I agree..
Bam Bam wasn't elite for a long enough period..
That holdout did him no favors,he never was quite the same player after that
season.
I kind of resent the Easley comp..He was one of a kind and a HOFer period

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Hall of Famer= Nope
Seahawks Ring of Honor- Yes.

I say the same thing for Marshawn Lynch.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Aros":3h56octq said:
hawknation2018":3h56octq said:
Most feared player of his generation. Kam Chancellor belongs in the Hall of Fame.

Agreed. Sadly that is probably not enough. The Hall of Fame is notoriously statistic driven.

For the most part, yeah, but Joe Namath is in the Hall of Fame and his stats suck.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":9yk2tvml said:
Aros":9yk2tvml said:
hawknation2018":9yk2tvml said:
Most feared player of his generation. Kam Chancellor belongs in the Hall of Fame.

Agreed. Sadly that is probably not enough. The Hall of Fame is notoriously statistic driven.

For the most part, yeah, but Joe Namath is in the Hall of Fame and his stats suck.

Were you around when Joe Namath played?

chris98251

Reaction score
Joe was the FIRST Superstar NFL player, Jim Brown and others Otto Graham etc were household names but Joe, did commercials, he was at Events, he wore Mink Coats, was the most charismatic and flamboyant player ever to that point, he also signed the biggest Contract ever at the time and by a whole lot as a Rookie, I think it was like 425,000, he did it at the time the AFL and NFL were at war so to speak and his signing basically ended it. His Guarantee win in the Super Bowl gets a lot of news, but it was all the other stuff and the fact before his knees were blown out he had a cannon for a arm for that time period.

That doesn't even include the toughness aspect, he took a lot of shots and played with pain that todays players would be ending a season with. He was a target because of his notoriety and big contract, especially by former NFL players and players in the NFC once they merged.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Love me some Kam, but like others have said, it's not even close. A few more years of domination and he could have at least been talked about.

chris98251

Reaction score
Kam played a unique position, he was called a SS but player more a hybrid LB type in a 3/4 scheme. Those types of guys frequently get over looked till they become eligible for the historical vote.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
As has been typed, stats driven so probably not. But if he took up a coaching mantle and became a great coach, he has a better chance.....if he does not hold out. :twisted:

Rat

Reaction score
Doubtful.

He did become a prototype for a new kind of safety though, which is pretty cool. Some would argue Sean Taylor did that, but I think teams just saw him as a freak and an exception. When Kam took off, teams were like "we need a Kam Chancellor!".

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Rat":1unvqley said:
Doubtful.

He did become a prototype for a new kind of safety though, which is pretty cool. Some would argue Sean Taylor did that, but I think teams just saw him as a freak and an exception. When Kam took off, teams were like "we need a Kam Chancellor!".

Definitely in the Taylor mold, but Taylor only weighed 210 lbs, Kam weighs over 230 lbs................and dropped down into the box to attack the run game and punch fools in the mouth running over the middle far more than Taylor ever did.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The Hall of Fame is weird.

Kind of like the Heisman in lots of people get the honor that were nowhere near generational players.

Being above average to very good for a long time will get you in over someone that was exceptional and gamechanging for a shorter time. Some of the guys in the hall were not close to the best players in their decade. Kam was. Compare him at his peak years to anyone else that played 5 years before or after him. He was easily as good if not better.

A SS that can take out a starting OL and then make the tackle is a world beater.

Whether he makes the hall is immaterial, he is one of the best that ever played and that was from the mouth of Lott himself.

At the time of our defensive dominance he was recognized as one of the key factors that made our defense so dominant.

I think other players realize this, even if the statmongers will never let him in.

Rat

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3vqb14o9 said:
Rat":3vqb14o9 said:
Doubtful.

Definitely in the Taylor mold, but Taylor only weighed 210 lbs, Kam weighs over 230 lbs................and dropped down into the box to attack the run game and punch fools in the mouth running over the middle far more than Taylor ever did.

Interesting. I remember Taylor being an enormous freak of nature that could cover Pro-Bowl receivers and lay the lumber in the run game, but that might just be the nostalgia. I guess he wasn't as large as I thought.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I love Kam, but unless the voters have a complete hatred of the other guys that are on the ballot and Kam is somehow on it, and they have to vote some guys in, I feel Kam will get media/writer love.

Statiscally, it's very difficult for Kam to get on. Kam wasn't used the way to rack up the statsheet, he just racks up bodies!!

sdog1981

Reaction score
The "he knocked people out" will keep him out of the hall. In 20 years that will be seen as a negative when the NFL is a flag football league.

mrblitz

Reaction score
i know it's not the same position, but kam sort of reminds me of lofa; great pattern recognition, sacrificed his body for the team; but kam were probably more physically talented. because of the physical sacrifices they both made, their careers were cut short. it could be that only other players, and in-depth seahawks fans can truly appreciate either player.