Keep Bruce Irvin

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Mojambo":1i15mkfk said:
He was gone the second they didn't pick up that option.

Pretty sure they've been grooming Marsh for his spot.

I view Marsh as an O'Brien Schofield depth guy. Likely KJ will move to SAM, and KPL will move to WILL. Pass rush will be a combo of Avril, Bennett, Clark and Hill.

We need to save the money we spend on Bruce to buy a LT. Don't see Okung's replacement coming in the draft unless we get super lucky.

HawkGA

Reaction score
This is the Maxwell situation all over again. I'm sure the team would like to have him back. They may even make a decent offer to him. But they won't be keeping pace with some of the bidding that may well happen. I don't think he'll be as attractive on the open market as Maxwell was. But he'll be attractive enough.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
HawkGA":1kzso065 said:
This is the Maxwell situation all over again. I'm sure the team would like to have him back. They may even make a decent offer to him. But they won't be keeping pace with some of the bidding that may well happen. I don't think he'll be as attractive on the open market as Maxwell was. But he'll be attractive enough.

Yep, I think this is likely a very apt explanation on what will happen with Bruce. There will be a high bidder, and we won't be it.

Just wish there was a way to keep him that didn't involve an overpay.

JPatera76

Reaction score
I dont see him staying. He is replaceable and inconsistent. He's not bad, but he's not so amazing that it warrants the payday he's seeking. And i think by not taking up his option that PS and JS have someone in mind that they want to take his place.

RussB

Reaction score
Hes good but Mike Morgan and Pierre louis seem like they could replace him

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I use to think he was just ok, playing to expectations nothing spectacular but I was wrong. I think this last game really cemented that in my head. I would like to keep him but it seems were at a point were we really can't sign any more big contracts ( I think we still give Bennett his big money he wants though). I'm thinking we have to leave spots for young and cheap players that produce.

By the way, it is freakin amazing how much size he has gotten since his rookie year.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Bruce Irvin is not an integral part of our defense, just like Red Bryant was not an integral part of our defense (despite some people saying he was at the time).

Pete has done a great job of putting together a defense that adjusts depending on what is available talent-wise.

Bryant helped take up space and with his long arms and a little mobility he was able to help stop the run. Irvin helps do that as a LB since he was never meant to be a DE.

Neither player was integral to our defense, but they had/have a role to play in THAT particular defense which changes little by little every year.

Irvin has turned into a fine player, but it is almost all based on speed. Most of his sacks come from the QB holding onto the ball too long and Irvin is able to get to the QB after failing on his first move. If he suffers any kind of injury or starts declining from age soon then his production will drop off big time. Do love the hussle though.

The Hawks just don't have the room to pay Irvin. He's a guy that was destined to be replaced after his rookie deal. Theyre paying Wright and Wagner a bunch of money already. They need at least one of their LBs to be on a rookie deal or vet signing cheap for a chance to go to the Super Bowl.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Mojambo":35scb4d8 said:
He was gone the second they didn't pick up that option.

Pretty sure they've been grooming Marsh for his spot.

Or Frank Clark. Why couldn't he step into Irvin's spot?

Kennewick_Man

Reaction score
Let him go, like we have a choice. He doesn't want to be here and he's not a good fit in our locker room.

Tical21

Reaction score
In our scheme, of the 22 starters, our SAM LB is probably asked to do less than any other position. You would think if there is any position where we should go cheap, it would be that one. That said, I've been very wrong about who the front office has decided to pay, so i just have no idea anymore.

Seymour

Reaction score
I'd like to keep Irvin for $6M or so if we could swing it. Even so I'm still a bit skeptical of those that pick it up on contract years. Likely he'll go to Atlanta for more, and that is fine because he won't be in our way there, and he won't be all at that hard to replace.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
I'll roll with the consensus here. On second thought, pumping Irvin's money into the offensive line would be a much better use of resources.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I hope we find a way to keep Irvin without breaking the bank. I hope the release of Williams and Lynch next year make it a little easier to keep him.

The upcoming draft will be fascinating. Hoping for a trio similar to Rawls, Lockett and Clark impact we've had.

On a side note I thought I saw you at Hop Jacks this past week but wasn't sure so I avoided the family in case I was wrong and made a fool of myself lol. I'm pretty sure it wasn't you so probably the right decision. :shock:

StoneCold

Reaction score
He will be hungry for his 3rd Super Bowl ring and will give us the Home Town discount...right?