Ken Norton Sr. the Seahawk's guardian angel this season?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Very interesting in Richard Sherman's post-game interview, that he spent a bit of it talking about Ken Norton Sr., who sadly passed away a week and a half ago, and referring to him as the team's guardian angel.
http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/v ... 329e313bc2

As most know, Ken Norton Jr. is the Seahawks linebackers coach, and apparently he has taken some time off, of course, to be with family, after his father's passing.

I was impressed that Sherman came across as knowing about the career of Ken Norton Sr. and his place in boxing history; I had no idea Sherman would know that Jr's father had his own successful career, plus find him (rightly) to be an inspirational figure.

I understand Ken Norton Jr. , in his playing days, would strike a boxing pose and then "punch" the goalposts after a defensive touchdown, in honor of his father. Think we'll see any of the Seahawks defenders adopt this as a defensive TD celebration?

drdiags

Reaction score
Ken Norton Sr was at a couple Training Camp practices this year. Sherman spoke about Ali's career, so I think he has an appreciation for boxing. Plus with Norton Jr being a defensive coach here the past 4 years, I am sure stories about his pop has been shared with those members who took the time to ask Jr about him. Or spoke to the man themselves.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Impressive post game presser by Sherman. He's a class act and i love how he gives props to his mom, and to everyone else, besides himself.

fsmassey

Reaction score
For me, as a fan of both the Hawks and Norton, this is such a treat.

Norton Sr. was much more of an intellectual first, and a boxer second. In many ways, I'm sure his ideas and philosophies have influenced the Hawks