KJ Wright illegal bat

rideaducati

Reaction score
Hawkpower":3n6i6m16 said:
Jville":3n6i6m16 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AaronQ13Fox/status/651857573092552704[/tweet]

Interesting .......... that event conjured up the memory of that Brady tuck ruling coming out of nowhere verses the Raiders. Then there are all those free-for-all Hail Mary passes where contact has been ignored for many years. Someday, that will reach out and alter an outcome.

12 years?

Wow, if true. Guess the refs used their discretion in all of the other instances as well.

One would like to think that would quiet the hilarious indignation of the niner and cards fans who are so amusingly fighting this admirable battle (for obvious reasons).

But likely not.

They only researched back 12 years. Pete was just on the radio and said they can't find that called in the past 40 years.

Jville

Reaction score
PackerNation":2x816j8q said:
Hawkpower":2x816j8q said:
12 years.

No advantage gained.

Shouldnt have been a story anyway. No way this is a story if Clay Matthews is tapping the ball out to seal a win over the Lions, I guarantee it.

Doesn't matter, still a penalty. It's a penalty and a story no matter what two teams were playing that night and no matter who batted the pass out of the end zone.

Besides Clay wouldn't do that, he knows the rules. :mrgreen:

I think Clay has his moments when rules are secondary to the moment at hand.

RastaHawk12!

Reaction score
MVP53":vat9koms said:
CamanoIslandJQ":vat9koms said:
KitsapGuy":vat9koms said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/cristoballz1/status/651281908312113152[/tweet]

A picture is worth 10,000 words. How can KJ be called for batting a ball that is already out of bounds?
Pure BS controversy by ESPN, just like the "fail Mary", that was indeed a simultaneous catch and was indeed a TD, all that ESPN ever showed was the one stupid angle of the play, even though other, more clearly indicative angles showed that both players had the ball, thus the simultaneous catch & the correct rule was applied.

ESPN is becoming more like the National Enquirer with their sensationalist coverage. What a bunch of BS.

It wasn't OOB. That pic is at an angle.

Truth ^^

Atted ball play that saved the seahawks 1444136662

MVP53

Reaction score
PackerNation":3p8pwrv3 said:
BullHawk33":3p8pwrv3 said:
This came out of the Holy Roller play. They had to create a penalty to prevent the offense from trying to advance the ball forward without maintaining possession. I don't understand why they had to make an offensive ball fumbled through the endzone a change of possession and a touchback. It should be the same as the rest of the normal field of play.

They will probably change it so that it is placed back where the offense last had possession after this season.

[youtube]TTxi_gYWyyI[/youtube]

It's actually a good rule because then you could just bat the ball all the way down the field or out of bounds. You can't bat the ball and this is why.

Jeez, so much wrong with that play otherwise. First off, looks like it should have been a forward pass by Stabler. Second, looks like it should have been a forward lateral by the next guy who touched it. That play would have been whistled dead a couple times under current rules.

lobohawk

Reaction score
ExpatPack":2nq6fa3w said:
Okie, as a Packer fan I'm gonna weigh in on this. No way that the Bat Out of Hell was as bad as the Fail Mary. It was an illegal bat by Wright, yes. it's because Wright didn't know the rule and it's an odd rule to begin with. If he had, Wright could have grabbed the ball and knelt down. Touchback.

Yes it was the wrong call but it was the sort of mistake where you say, "Umm, that's the rule?" Like Wright, I certainly didn't know that.

Pretty much this. There was no Lions' player close to contest the ball or really have a chance at it. He broke a technicality, but that's about it.

Exittium

Reaction score
MVP53":qduc7h8m said:
CamanoIslandJQ":qduc7h8m said:
KitsapGuy":qduc7h8m said:

A picture is worth 10,000 words. How can KJ be called for batting a ball that is already out of bounds?
Pure BS controversy by ESPN, just like the "fail Mary", that was indeed a simultaneous catch and was indeed a TD, all that ESPN ever showed was the one stupid angle of the play, even though other, more clearly indicative angles showed that both players had the ball, thus the simultaneous catch & the correct rule was applied.

ESPN is becoming more like the National Enquirer with their sensationalist coverage. What a bunch of BS.

.. That pic looks Photoshopped, behind his ass what is that greay? by his index finger and thumb on left hand whats the gray there? or are his hands webbed? Same with index finger and middle finger right hand are they webbed?

Hawkpower

Reaction score
PackerNation":25jfbf8g said:
Hawkpower":25jfbf8g said:
12 years.

No advantage gained.

Shouldnt have been a story anyway. No way this is a story if Clay Matthews is tapping the ball out to seal a win over the Lions, I guarantee it.

Doesn't matter, still a penalty. It's a penalty and a story no matter what two teams were playing that night and no matter who batted the pass out of the end zone.

Insert GIF of Clay boy's illegal shot at RW in the NFCCG here:

Knowing the rules matters not to Matthews :)

This penalty is subjective. The ref disagreed with your take that it should have been flagged.

Thank goodness for common sense.

Rival fans butthurt over this is quite amusing.

PackerNation

Reaction score
Scottemojo":qnwh6iar said:
I don't think that penalty came from the holy roller. The rule is specifically about balls in the endzone that cannot be batted out of the endzone, IIRC.
Actually, you are probably correct with regards to part b) but I was going by this which clearly states either in the field of play or in the end zone.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/15 ... -lions-mnf
********************************************************************************************************************************
The rule that pertains to the batted-ball incident in Seattle is Rule 12, Section 4, Article 1 titled "Illegal Bat."

It is an illegal bat if:

a) any player bats or punches a loose ball in the field of play toward his opponent's goal line

b) any player bats or punches a loose ball (that has touched the ground) in any direction, if it is in either end zone

c) an offensive player bats a backward pass in flight toward his opponent's goal line
********************************************************************************************************************************

If that is the case, this rule has been enforced on several occasions that I can recall offhand, including Pitt vs. Green Bay and Miami vs Patriots. Both of those happened in the field of play but still fall under the batted penalty rule...which was introduced following the Oakland vs. San Diego "Holy Roller" incident.

Jville

Reaction score
Well there you go. He didn't bat or punch the ball .... at the very most just a gentle pat.

Jeremy517

Reaction score
Trent Dilfer had a good point about the batted ball. https://twitter.com/TDESPN/status/651454695257432064

He says that KJ's bat violates the letter of the rule, but it doesn't violate the spirit of the rule. He is 100% correct that if everything that violates the letter of a rule is called, games will take forever and there will be a penalty on every play. Another example of letter of the rule vs spirit of the rule from that game is the Wilson fumble + DET TD. There were two instances of illegal contact that could have been called. Neither were called, which is fine, because similar to the KJ batted ball, they violated the letter of the rule, but not the spirit of the rule.

12thbrah

Reaction score
The hate this team gets now over every little controversy is reaching Pats and Cowboys level. All it means is that the Hawks are one of the most popular and polarizing teams in the league right now. The price of success baby.

Cheers to the haters!

Hawkpower

Reaction score
12thbrah":bnqp5vk4 said:
The hate this team gets now over every little controversy is reaching Pats and Cowboys level. All it means is that the Hawks are one of the most popular and polarizing teams in the league right now. The price of success baby.

Cheers to the haters!

If you'll notice here, its mostly cards/pack fans who have the most to gain from a Seattle loss that are digging their heels into a silly argument.

RW92

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":3oy7jw3s said:
Honestly who cares? Whether he falls on it, bats it out, or it rolls out on its own? :Dunno:

Game over.

Your right, if he tries to secure the ball and it goes out, or even if he lets it go out on its own, still the same result. I think the intentional bat is if a Lion player was within reach next to K.J. and was trying to secure a touchdown, rather than a touchback; if it is intentionally batted so the Lion player can't have a chance to secure the ball, then that's illegal and is why the rule is in place. But if a football move or an attempt is made by the defense to try and secure the ball before it goes past the end line, but still goes out of bounds then too bad, it is a touchback.

MVP53

Reaction score
Exittium":353u0dbj said:
MVP53":353u0dbj said:
CamanoIslandJQ":353u0dbj said:
KitsapGuy":353u0dbj said:

.. That pic looks Photoshopped, behind his ass what is that greay? by his index finger and thumb on left hand whats the gray there? or are his hands webbed? Same with index finger and middle finger right hand are they webbed?

Not to mention, KJ is standing IN FRONT of the getty images graphic. Completely photoshopped. Here is the real photo.

http://sports.cbslocal.com/2015/10/06/s ... ting-ball/

HawkFreak

Reaction score
MVP53":2w14d975 said:
Could be. Not sure what we're arguing here. KJs was far more obvious. Surprised its even generated this much debate.

No argument on my end. I think it is just differing perspectives about the ET forced fumble and the KC forced fumble.
You feel the play were not similar in nature - while I think they had all the same core components...other than KJ's being a bit more obvious.

Smellyman

Reaction score
PackerNation":39snr4gn said:
Hawkpower":39snr4gn said:
12 years.

No advantage gained.

Well I hope they start calling blocking downfield and pick plays on the Packers. It is run nearly every play.

It's a penalty right?

PackerNation

Reaction score
Smellyman":lf6yzvqc said:
Well I hope they start calling blocking downfield and pick plays on the Packers. It is run nearly every play.

It's a penalty right?
Do you mean the play where Green Bay has 3 wide and they make the quick throw to Cobb? The one we used to score 3 times in one game?

That is actually legal and if Rodgers hesitates, they throw the flag for blocking downfield. We have had it called back before. It's all timing. As long as the ball comes out very quickly, it is a great play and legal.
If you'll notice here, its mostly cards/pack fans who have the most to gain from a Seattle loss that are digging their heels into a silly argument.
The Packers benefit with a Seattle win, you Knucklehead. The Lions are in our division and we need to wrap up the division first. I am glad they didn't call the penalty. It was still a penalty though. It should have been flagged.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
PackerNation":3clmb6pc said:
Smellyman":3clmb6pc said:

It's a penalty right?
Do you mean the play where Green Bay has 3 wide and they make the quick throw to Cobb? The one we used to score 3 times in one game?

That is actually legal and if Rodgers hesitates, they throw the flag for blocking downfield. We have had it called back before. It's all timing. As long as the ball comes out very quickly, it is a great play and legal.
The Packers benefit with a Seattle win, you Knucklehead. The Lions are in our division and we need to wrap up the division first. I am glad they didn't call the penalty. It was still a penalty though. It should have been flagged.

HAHAHA please.

You aren't worried about the Lions.

Its all about homefield advantage, to which you currently have a nice lead. A Seahawk loss would have really buried us as a threat for you.

This penalty, like most others, is subjective, and the ref thankfully had enough common sense not to call it.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Imagine that, the Hawks win a game, and the world makes excuses for why they won. Whatever gets you thru the day :th2thumbs: