OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Polaris":2rzfixen said:
Smellyman":2rzfixen said:
No foul if this is it:

Rule 12-4-1(a) explains that an illegal bat occurs if “a player of either team bats or punches a loose ball in the field of play toward his opponent’s goal line. While Rule 12-4-1(a) doesn’t expressly require intent, Rule 3-2-5(g) defines illegal batting as “the intentional striking of the ball with hand, fist, elbow, or forearm.”

not towards the opponents goal line

Edit: someone else could find the actual rule, someone smarter than me.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-dolphins-patriots-game-comes-under-scrutiny/

If this is the rule, then the play was legal. It sure looked like a smart and LEGAL play when I saw it. I point out that the ball was not batted towards the Detroit goal line AND I also point out on a very practical matter that there wasn't a Lion player within 5 yards of that loose ball, so it was academic. Wright could have just as easily picked it up but he clearly thought it was legal (and I still do) and figured this was better than taking the chance of falling on it.

Besides, the 'hawks never quit, and in the end THAT is what matters, not some octogenarian retired ref who wants some national face time.

Nice find.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Plus like someone mentioned in the other thread there was still a minute plus left, and the Hawks were about to score when they "sat on the ball".

Greenhell

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2wblg6ja said:
FearTheBeak":2wblg6ja said:
So far every player past and present has never heard of it or seen it called.

Apparently, no one in the NY control room has heard of it either.

And that is their only job.

Balndino saw the play and even HE didn't know the rule to have made a call. On to the next one.

chris98251

Reaction score
Watch the focus be on it the rest of the season every time a ball is "batted" out of the end zone now.

Smellyman

Reaction score
MrThortan":3o01m12g said:
A player may not bat or punch:

(a) A loose ball (in field of play) toward his opponent’s goal line or in any direction in either end zone.

Really doesn't make things much clearer though :|

What will they call this Monday night game!

"the Sucker Punch"

"Swatgate"

"Batmad"

?

randomation

Reaction score
Seafan":2swb3e8h said:
ivotuk":2swb3e8h said:
Could have cost us the game

So could have RW.

So could the line FTFY, seriously you can't expect Russ to constantly be running around and never get caught might as well have had traffic cones most of the night.

SuperFreak

Reaction score
I respect older people but this guy on ESPN seems like he might not be in the loop on this ruling too we are all basing this on his interruption of the rule.

Polaris

Reaction score
SuperFreak":3jdxr0sr said:
I respect older people but this guy on ESPN seems like he might not be in the loop on this ruling too we are all basing this on his interruption of the rule.

I think that ESPN is fishing for a controversy and that a retired ref who probably doesn't recall the rule very well (and may or may not have an axe to grind) wants to get some free national air time.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
SuperFreak":22qc33ns said:

So is it a safety or a penalty? Old dude's missing some marbles.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
This is BS. So he knows the rule and falls on it. Same result. Detroit was lucky to even be in that situation. I think him not winding up is legitimate. Friggin media stirring the pot.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
2Cool4School":2k9ihuqm said:
Who cares? if green bay can get the ball back after one of our O linemen recovered a fumble then we can do it too.

Yup. Exactly.

Smellyman

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":2xllkcyi said:
SuperFreak":2xllkcyi said:

So is it a safety or a penalty? Old dude's missing some marbles.

It is strange. Not sure. Since no Seahawk possessed it would normally be a touchback for Seattle.

With a penalty? I don't know. Replay down?

Rat

Reaction score
I'm sure everyone would still agree it doesn't matter if the tables had been turned.

SuperFreak

Reaction score
Gerry Austin is his name seems he retired in 2008 so it's been a while, not sure what the truth is on the rule currently. Guessing the NFL will clarify tomorrow.

Exittium

Reaction score
In the words of tate and "failmary".. I didnt see it... Games over. Nobody knows or even knew it was a damn penalty. Detriot walked off they didnt know.. None of those Hall of famer past present future on that field knew the penalty.. Screw the media