KNBR-AM interview of Jed York ..... somebody tackle this guy

chris98251

Reaction score
I see it this way.

If they Hire Shanahan, total dysfunction on defense, Kaep injured multiple times.

If they hire Rex Ryan, defense is good, Kaep becomes a mess, QB rotation starts in the organization, they have the Jets situation where nobody can play the position and the offense is offensive.

Those are the two name guys, I thing the Rat will keep his head low, Ryan will make his media screw ups and maybe find a new fetish that gets publicized. Either way a year maybe two and the 49ers are searching again as the win loss record drops back to bottom feeding.

Cartire

Reaction score
All I know is I want Rex ryan to win the job. Talk about a fun time for the nfc west.

HansGruber

Reaction score
hawknation2014":15igzzw4 said:
HansGruber":15igzzw4 said:
Of course York can't talk about that. Things get ugly if he does. Most of all, nobody wants that coaching job if he goes Al Davis Festivus Mode and starts airing grievances. You don't do that.

So while I understand why Niner fans are mad, just remember, Harbaugh hasn't won anything at any level of the game and he's had problems everywhere. Further, even with Harbaugh, you went .500 this season with his hand picked quarterback. That team wasn't going anywhere with Harbaugh. It actually makes sense to start over from scratch. Wipe the slate clean, try again. No reason to wait.

The biggest problem with your thesis is York did talk about his supposed problems with Harbaugh.

When asked during his press conference if Harbaugh was not a "good teacher," Jed implied that Harbaugh's teaching was limited to just the QB position. And during this radio interview, he admits that the team was not "winning with class" under Harbaugh, referring to the multitude of arrests that occurred last year. He says, "collectively, it was all of our fault . . ." but "Trent and I are philosophically aligned" and Harbaugh is not. He also referred specifically to the fact that Harbaugh did not win a Super Bowl in four years.

The 49ers were a competitive team under Harbaugh. That is undeniable. After clueless Jed makes another Mike Singletary-type hire (i.e. Jim Tomsula), watch how quickly the 49ers plunge back to true mediocrity. Not that it will matter at all to Jed. After all, if either way you're not winning a Super Bowl, why not save a few millions dollars a year in coaching salary while he continues to accumulate massive revenue from a new stadium he did not pay for? All he had to do was wait a year to make sure the "faithful" were locked into PSLs.
No, York didn't talk about specific problems. And he never would. The entire problem the interviewer had with York is that he wouldn't come right out and say what specifically led to the termination. But nobody with an MBA would ever do that, especially when it's an employee whose salary is $8m/yr. You choose your words carefully, because hurt pride is WAY cheaper than a libel suit.

And nobody outside of Al Davis or Jerry Jones would do something like that anyway. It would sabotage any chance of finding a great coach in the future, because anyone with options is going to see how you acted and avoid that career-damaging mess like the plague. Al Davis and Jerry Jones were forced to hire nobodies because no good coach wants to work there. Not after what happened to John Gruden and Jimmy Johnson. Ed York knows that and he's not going to shoot himself in the foot like that.

He flat out told the interviewer multiple times that there were reasons he couldn't get into, and that he wasn't going to throw anyone under the bus. He specifically said Harbaugh had a family and he wouldn't want their private conversations heard by his family or to effect Jim's family. That's a very telling answer. Just because that DJ lacks the mental capacity to understand what he's being told doesn't diminish the truth in it.

It's clear that Harbaugh was a pain. The winning with class statement makes that very clear. York isn't talking about the team, he's talking about Harbaugh throwing his weight around and acting like a prick. Clearly, the guy was a huge pain in the ass and using a winning record as his leverage. Once they started losing, he lost that leverage and the damage couldn't be undone.

After a week of thinking about it, I think York actually did the right thing. It's like the Seahawks dumping Harvin. Get rid of the cancer in the front office, being in someone who can work with your front office and develop chemistry like we have in Seattle. That's the only way you can win. I think York saw that and realized he needed to act now before things got worse.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
HansGruber":jmoowec9 said:
hawknation2014":jmoowec9 said:
Of course York can't talk about that. Things get ugly if he does. Most of all, nobody wants that coaching job if he goes Al Davis Festivus Mode and starts airing grievances. You don't do that.

So while I understand why Niner fans are mad, just remember, Harbaugh hasn't won anything at any level of the game and he's had problems everywhere. Further, even with Harbaugh, you went .500 this season with his hand picked quarterback. That team wasn't going anywhere with Harbaugh. It actually makes sense to start over from scratch. Wipe the slate clean, try again. No reason to wait.

The biggest problem with your thesis is York did talk about his supposed problems with Harbaugh.

When asked during his press conference if Harbaugh was not a "good teacher," Jed implied that Harbaugh's teaching was limited to just the QB position. And during this radio interview, he admits that the team was not "winning with class" under Harbaugh, referring to the multitude of arrests that occurred last year. He says, "collectively, it was all of our fault . . ." but "Trent and I are philosophically aligned" and Harbaugh is not. He also referred specifically to the fact that Harbaugh did not win a Super Bowl in four years.

The 49ers were a competitive team under Harbaugh. That is undeniable. After clueless Jed makes another Mike Singletary-type hire (i.e. Jim Tomsula), watch how quickly the 49ers plunge back to true mediocrity. Not that it will matter at all to Jed. After all, if either way you're not winning a Super Bowl, why not save a few millions dollars a year in coaching salary while he continues to accumulate massive revenue from a new stadium he did not pay for? All he had to do was wait a year to make sure the "faithful" were locked into PSLs.
No, York didn't talk about specific problems. And he never would. The entire problem the interviewer had with York is that he wouldn't come right out and say what specifically led to the termination. But nobody with an MBA would ever do that, especially when it's an employee whose salary is $8m/yr. You choose your words carefully, because hurt pride is WAY cheaper than a libel suit.

And nobody outside of Al Davis or Jerry Jones would do something like that anyway. It would sabotage any chance of finding a great coach in the future, because anyone with options is going to see how you acted and avoid that career-damaging mess like the plague. Al Davis and Jerry Jones were forced to hire nobodies because no good coach wants to work there. Not after what happened to John Gruden and Jimmy Johnson. Ed York knows that and he's not going to shoot himself in the foot like that.

He flat out told the interviewer multiple times that there were reasons he couldn't get into, and that he wasn't going to throw anyone under the bus. He specifically said Harbaugh had a family and he wouldn't want their private conversations heard by his family or to effect Jim's family. That's a very telling answer. Just because that DJ lacks the mental capacity to understand what he's being told doesn't diminish the truth in it.

Jed does not have an MBA.

It's clear that Harbaugh was a pain. The winning with class statement makes that very clear. York isn't talking about the team, he's talking about Harbaugh throwing his weight around and acting like a prick. Clearly, the guy was a huge pain in the ass and using a winning record as his leverage. Once they started losing, he lost that leverage and the damage couldn't be undone.

After a week of thinking about it, I think York actually did the right thing. It's like the Seahawks dumping Harvin. Get rid of the cancer in the front office, being in someone who can work with your front office and develop chemistry like we have in Seattle. That's the only way you can win. I think York saw that and realized he needed to act now before things got worse.

Look at the transcript of the press conference when he first discusses the need to "win with class":

JED YORK: I would rather do the things that we need to but stay at a level of class that I expect of the San Francisco 49ers. And this isn't shooting at Jim and saying, ‘Well, Jim made all these decisions.' I want you to clearly hear that. I'm not saying that. If you want to make a decision on things that you're talking about like [former 49ers defensive tackle] Ray McDonald - Ray McDonald was ultimately my decision to not do anything. It was. When his first issue came up, he was not charged with anything. We sat down with Ray and said, ‘Ray, whether you were guilty or not, you can't put yourself in these types of positions.' And very shortly after that he did that again. You need to make sure people are accountable. That's up to me. We might not win the Super Bowl every year, but we can conduct ourselves with class. And we can conduct ourselves in a way that makes me proud. I'll put that on me.

He made it clear in this press conference that he was referring to the off-the-field arrests that the team faced under Harbaugh -- that was not "winning with class" according to Jed.

He also made that clear during the radio interview:

Q: Were you not winning with class?

JED YORK: I mean, are you not going to blast us for off-the-field stuff for the past three or four years?

Q: Was that Jim Harbaugh’s fault?

JED YORK: Collectively, it was all of our fault.

The bottom line is Jed did not want to give Harbaugh the contract he sought after he took them to the Super Bowl. That is a fact. Jed publicly made winning a Super Bowl the prerequisite for the contract extension that Harbaugh wanted last year. When that unrealistic goal did not come to fruition, he then spent the last year either directly trying to trade Harbaugh or feeding the rumors that he would be let go.

All this talk about "winning with class" and the decision being "mutual" because Harbaugh wanted to go back to Michigan was subterfuge to conceal this reality. The extra $4 million a year was worth it to Jed - even with the gusher of the new money from the stadium he did not pay for.

Chapow

Reaction score
WHO'S GOT IT BETTER THAN THE 49ERS???

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The philosophical differences were over personnel control. I am certain of that. Jim may have made it a him or me thing with Baalke.

Jed's statement that the organization dismissed Walsh was telling. He sees his position as more important than a coach's.

I would bet money that Baalke is behind the leaks.

How odd is it that the press hated dealing with Jim, but by and large are piling on to York for letting him go? York isn't the only arrogance in SF.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3s4azpp4 said:
The philosophical differences were over personnel control. I am certain of that. Jim may have made it a him or me thing with Baalke.

Jed's statement that the organization dismissed Walsh was telling. He sees his position as more important than a coach's.

How odd is it that the press hated dealing with Jim, but by and large are piling on to York for letting him go? York isn't the only arrogance in SF.

Walsh left coaching after winning his third Super Bowl in '89. If Jed referred to firing someone, it was probably George Seifert. Seifert was pushed out after the '96 season, despite winning two Super Bowls and six division titles, never having fewer than 10 wins in a season, and finishing with a team record of 98-30 and 10-5 in the playoffs.

In a very similar situation to Harbaugh's, Seifert "resigned" with one year left on his deal after being told that his contract would not be extended and that he "had just one year left to coach the 49ers." Then-49ers President Carmen Policy later said Seifert's decision to resign was "probably in the best interests of the organization."
http://community.seattletimes.nwsource. ... ug=2574054

Coincidentally, Carroll worked for Seifert as his DC in '95 and '96. He also worked with Walsh, who served as an advisor to the 49ers after his retirement. Carroll said his time with Walsh and Seifert provided him with "a wealth of new insights into what it took to succeed as a head coach."

Just like with Harbaugh, the 49ers' organization attempted to hide behind the illusion of mutuality in pushing out Seifert. A Niner player even said at the time that "Seifert is always under pressure to win the Super Bowl. It keeps mounting each year he doesn't win it." Sound familiar? After pushing out Seifert, the 49ers never went to another Super Bowl -- until Harbaugh took them there 16 years later.

So Carroll has seen this story play out firsthand, albeit when Jed's more generous grandfather owned the team. . . I for one hope it leads to another 16-year dry spell for the 49ers.

:thirishdrinkers:

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1jaeuwjx said:
Scottemojo":1jaeuwjx said:

Walsh left coaching after winning his third Super Bowl in '89. If Jed referred to firing someone, it was probably George Seifert. Seifert was pushed out after the '96 season, despite winning two Super Bowls and six division titles, never having fewer than 10 wins in a season, and finishing with a team record of 98-30 and 10-5 in the playoffs.

In a very similar situation to Harbaugh's, Seifert "resigned" with one year left on his deal after being told that his contract would not be extended and that he "had just one year left to coach the 49ers." Then-49ers President Carmen Policy later said Seifert's decision to resign was "probably in the best interests of the organization."

Coincidentally, Carroll worked for Seifert as his DC in '95 and '96. He also worked with Walsh, who served as an advisor to the 49ers after his retirement. Carroll said his time with Walsh and Seifert provided him with "a wealth of new insights into what it took to succeed as a head coach."

Just like with Harbaugh, the 49ers' organization attempted to hide behind the illusion of mutuality in pushing out Seifert. A Niner player even said at the time that "Seifert is always under pressure to win the Super Bowl. It keeps mounting each year he doesn't win it." Sound familiar? After pushing out Seifert, the 49ers never went to another Super Bowl -- until Harbaugh took them there 16 years later.

So Carroll has seen this story play out firsthand, albeit when Jed's more generous grandfather owned the team. . . I for one hope it leads to another 16-year dry spell for the 49ers.

Cue the usual Whiner supporting suspects on this board telling us "it's 2 different situations" and "not the same because Siefert didn't ruffle feathers in the organization like Hardouche did", etc., etc., etc...... (yeah you Marv, and you 5 Moldy Rings and you Popeye.....and.....and......).

My comment: those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3qagknc9 said:

Honestly I think it was about a couple things, but a lot of it had to do with the direction of the offense. That's my opinion anyway. I think it had run it's course and it was time to change...and Harbaugh wasn't going to change.

I don't think we'll ever really know though.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":29etg1wn said:
hawknation2015":29etg1wn said:
Scottemojo":29etg1wn said:

Cue the usual Whiner supporting suspects on this board telling us "it's 2 different situations" and "not the same because Siefert didn't ruffle feathers in the organization like Hardouche did", etc., etc., etc...... (yeah you Marv, and you 5 Moldy Rings and you Popeye.....and.....and......).

My comment: those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Well, it is different...

...but I'm not really up for fighting about it. York said it was a mutual parting with Harbaugh but I don't buy that. I think the 49ers wanted him out and Harbaugh agreed to go with the mutual parting story for whatever reason.

I also don't think the 49ers would have given him a free release from his contract had the 49ers thought another NFL team was a real option.

York is kinda stuck. SOMETHING went on necessitating Harbaughs removal and he's never going to be completely forthright about it. It sounds like there is some sort of confidentiality agreement because Baalke as much as said he wasn't allowed to go into particular conversations per the agreement.

Bottom line, he's gone. It sucks. Lets see who they hire.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well, it is different...

...but I'm not really up for fighting about it. York said it was a mutual parting with Harbaugh but I don't buy that. I think the 49ers wanted him out and Harbaugh agreed to go with the mutual parting story for whatever reason.

I also don't think the 49ers would have given him a free release from his contract had the 49ers thought another NFL team was a real option.

York is kinda stuck. SOMETHING went on necessitating Harbaughs removal and he's never going to be completely forthright about it. It sounds like there is some sort of confidentiality agreement because Baalke as much as said he wasn't allowed to go into particular conversations per the agreement.

Mutual parting means we won't publicly fire you, it also means that they probably knew he was going to Michigan and that holding his feet to the fire would have been a PR disaster. There would have been plenty of teams interested in him, you can't be that naïve. This was Harbaughs ace in the hole, with Michigan's offer the 49ers can't ask for picks as compensation, they are without a coach the only bonus is they don't owe a salary.

As far as a confidential agreement, it's probably about the bitch sessions they had and that's it, we know how that works, it will leak out later.

Marvin49

Reaction score
chris98251":11rr1i5h said:
Well, it is different...

Mutual parting means we won't publicly fire you, it also means that they probably knew he was going to Michigan and that holding his feet to the fire would have been a PR disaster. There would have been plenty of teams interested in him, you can't be that naïve. This was Harbaughs ace in the hole, with Michigan's offer the 49ers can't ask for picks as compensation, they are without a coach the only bonus is they don't owe a salary.

As far as a confidential agreement, it's probably about the bitch sessions they had and that's it, we know how that works, it will leak out later.

Oh, I wasn't suggesting he didn't have NFL options. I worded it badly.

I just meant they pretty much already knew he was going to Michigan. By "real options" I meant options he'd be interested in. If they'd thought there was a chance he'd go to an NFL team I don't think they'd have just let him walk. I think they were trying to look good by granting him his release from the contract, but they already knew they couldn't get anything because he was off to Michigan.

I happen to think ALOT of the " philosophical differences" were in reference to the direction of the offense. I'm sure there were bruised egos and such as well, but IMO this was about the offense regressing for 2 years and it was clear Harbaugh and Roman had no answers.

Latest posts