Kraken win Game 1 in OT 5-4

ivotuk

Reaction score
Kraken win Game 1 in OT 5-4 despite 4 goals by Stars’ Pavelski

DALLAS (AP) — DALLAS (AP) — Yanni Gourde scored 12:17 into overtime with a quick shot after regathering a loose puck and the Seattle Kraken beat Dallas 5-4 in Game 1 of their second-round series Tuesday night, even as Joe Pavelski scored all four Stars goals in his return to their lineup.

Gourde was on the edge of the circle to the left of the Dallas net when he tried to send a pass to a teammate on the blue line to reset. The puck instead ricocheted off Evgenii Dadonov, and Gourde quickly whipped around for a shot that went into a small gap to the left of goalie Jake Oettinger for the game-winner.

Seattle Kraken 5, Dallas Stars 4: Stats

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Yanni is a grinder with a very high hockey IQ.
Glad the guy is on our team.
On the Stars forums they are harping on the Kraken winning because of a lucky shot. Was it lucky that Yanni's pass careened off a Star right back to him? Yes. But it was Yanni's skill, ice awareness, situational awareness and work ethic that resulted in a very skilled shot into the net.

I also like the devious smile on his face while he is trying to pick fights with guys twice his size. That has to get under opposing payers' skin.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
now THAT is rich. 2 of the Dallas goals were pretty damn lucky. It's clearly part of the game. Shoot, the announcers talk about it all the time. Gotta' shoot the puck.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
On the Stars forums they are harping on the Kraken winning because of a lucky shot. Was it lucky that Yanni's pass careened off a Star right back to him? Yes. But it was Yanni's skill, ice awareness, situational awareness and work ethic that resulted in a very skilled shot into the net.

I also like the devious smile on his face while he is trying to pick fights with guys twice his size. That has to get under opposing payers' skin.
The guy is good and tough as nails. The guy literally is smiling when he gets punched in the face.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Oh, of course! Stars fans and players want to keep their game pure, and they would never want a lucky shot that benefits them! That would be an unthinkable abomination that only their evil, inferior opponents commit!

olyfan63

Reaction score
Oh, of course! Stars fans and players want to keep their game pure, and they would never want a lucky shot that benefits them! That would be an unthinkable abomination that only their evil, inferior opponents commit!
Well, you know the Kraken are only here because of that fluke lucky goal in game 7 where the puck bounced off the Av's defenseman's glove and in. Those other 3 or was it 4 Kraken shots that bounced off the post and out, well, that's just the game. /sarc

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Well, you know the Kraken are only here because of that fluke lucky goal in game 7 where the puck bounced off the Av's defenseman's glove and in. Those other 3 or was it 4 Kraken shots that bounced off the post and out, well, that's just the game. /sarc
Quite a few very near misses yesterday too, including 1 or 2 off the post. At some point luck has to change on those and few are going to find the back of the net.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The better team won the last series, and the better team will win this series. I think this team is going to win in 7, again.
You could look at every game with shoulda, woulda, coulda. Sometimes you just miss the shot. Sometimes you get a lucky-ish goal. Sometimes you get a lucky save. Sometimes the puck blasts the pole and pops out. Long game with plenty of chances for both teams.
The Kraken were playing on fumes in the 3rd and OT, and they dug deep to pull it out. One of the most impressive wins all season imo.

Last edited:

olyfan63

Reaction score
Quite a few very near misses yesterday too, including 1 or 2 off the post. At some point luck has to change on those and few are going to find the back of the net.
Did I mix up the two games? I swear it was the 3rd period of game 7 with a bunch of post doinks by the Kraken, but it may have been Game 1 vs the Stars 3rd period when the Stars came back from 4-2 down. More likely it was Stars game 1. I just remember a long stretch with multiple doinks and the other team coming back, their doinks going IN instead of out, and feeling like eventually those would doink IN for the Kraken. So more likely game 1. Sorry for my foggy memory, I'm Eastern time zone now (FL) and it was late...

Anyway my point in that post was to mock the "lucky goal" excuse. I'm a soccer guy, used to coach girls competitive club, and one year I was asked to coach the club's U-14 "B" team after 50 girls showed up for tryouts. I looked at the "B" team's prior season record, Oh-fer-the-season, like 8 goals for, 60 goals against. When I met the team, I realized the belief system with some of the girls was "we go out there, and play hard, and then bad stuff just starts happening" like it was bad luck. So one of my first jobs as a coach was to rewire their beliefs to understand that "lucky fluke goals" are the reward for having the ball (or puck) in the other team's end in a dangerous position, by players making plays, winning individual battles. Lots of players improved, the team nearly hit .500 that following season, with the season highlight being a tie--my "B" team tied the club's "A" team 1-1 in a summer tournament, in a fair, non-fluke result.

Anyway, the fluke, lucky, off-the-glove "own goal" vs. the Avs, a thing of beauty, and the OT goal in game 1 by Gourde was another thing of beauty; a player winning a battle for the puck against multiple opponents, and somehow squeezing off a shot on target that was "lucky" to go in. Winner! Love how the Kraken just keeps coming.

As an Avs fan said, "I gotta think if my Avs were healthy they’d have beaten Seattle, but I’m not sure anymore. The Kraken are absolutely tenacious. They put the puck on net and win puck battles. And they have some sneaky good scorers on all 4 lines."

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Did I mix up the two games? I swear it was the 3rd period of game 7 with a bunch of post doinks by the Kraken, but it may have been Game 1 vs the Stars 3rd period when the Stars came back from 4-2 down. More likely it was Stars game 1. I just remember a long stretch with multiple doinks and the other team coming back, their doinks going IN instead of out, and feeling like eventually those would doink IN for the Kraken. So more likely game 1. Sorry for my foggy memory, I'm Eastern time zone now (FL) and it was late...

Anyway my point in that post was to mock the "lucky goal" excuse. I'm a soccer guy, used to coach girls competitive club, and one year I was asked to coach the club's U-14 "B" team after 50 girls showed up for tryouts. I looked at the "B" team's prior season record, Oh-fer-the-season, like 8 goals for, 60 goals against. When I met the team, I realized the belief system with some of the girls was "we go out there, and play hard, and then bad stuff just starts happening" like it was bad luck. So one of my first jobs as a coach was to rewire their beliefs to understand that "lucky fluke goals" are the reward for having the ball (or puck) in the other team's end in a dangerous position, by players making plays, winning individual battles. Lots of players improved, the team nearly hit .500 that following season, with the season highlight being a tie--my "B" team tied the club's "A" team 1-1 in a summer tournament, in a fair, non-fluke result.

Anyway, the fluke, lucky, off-the-glove "own goal" vs. the Avs, a thing of beauty, and the OT goal in game 1 by Gourde was another thing of beauty; a player winning a battle for the puck against multiple opponents, and somehow squeezing off a shot on target that was "lucky" to go in. Winner! Love how the Kraken just keeps coming.

As an Avs fan said, "I gotta think if my Avs were healthy they’d have beaten Seattle, but I’m not sure anymore. The Kraken are absolutely tenacious. They put the puck on net and win puck battles. And they have some sneaky good scorers on all 4 lines."
Far more in game 7, was just saying the trend continued in this game.