Kurt warner says Wilson isn't a top 5 qb. Seattle times

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
How cute. He's clearly top 5, and I would expect that a hall of fame QB would actually know that.
Good, I always get a nice laugh from lame comments like his.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
My only issue with Warner's list is Mahomes. If you're making a "best" or "top" anything you better not put a player on there that's only done it for one season.

Russell's always been a fringe top 5-10 QB, and now he's creeping closer to top 5. So I have no issue with everyone ahead of him on Warner's list, EXCEPT Mahomes. I need to see you dominate and win in the playoffs. Mahomes was awful in the AFC Championship game looking like a high school QB playing against Brady and Belichick's scheme.

TreeRon

Reaction score
Yea I agree. I'm interested to see how Mahomes plays this season. He was great LY, his first year. We'll see if he can keep it up once NFL D coordinators have a season vs Mahomes under their belt.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I hate articles like this where the outcome is spun as a negative. Its not a snub it's one man's opinion and one I respect in all honesty.

I saw the segment on NFL network and Warner went out of his way to show which guys were in the conversation.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Warner has always seemed to fault Wilson (without directly saying it) for not being a traditional pocket passer. While he has acknowledged his spectacular escape ability and deep ball, there's always been this subliminal slight that he isn't a QB "purist" (old school pocket passer) so for that reason he won't ever put Wilson in the Top 5. It's an antiquated mindset that he needs to get over.

Wilson is a winner and completely can change the course of a game in a heartbeat. Mahomes needs to do it for more than one year and show that he can win in the biggest games in January/February which Wilson has.

Wilson is a Top 5 QB no matter what Warner or anyone else thinks.

MO Hawk

Reaction score
The amount of money in his new contract says he is a top 5 QB, if not the best it would seem. Why would Seattle pay him that much unless that is what the market dictated? Perhaps Seattle paid Wilson so much because they knew if they didn't someone else would.

The market clearly indicates Wilson is a top 5 QB.

Seymour

Reaction score
Ohh really Kurt?? Are you part women then?? :roll: :roll:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
LOL, Kurtis is, and always will be....a Ram, a biased Ram who had a top notch Offensive Line, & a couple of world class Receivers to help him succeed.
None of his picks for top 5 have had to face the adversity, and to do more, with less, than Russell Wilson has.
And as was mentioned above, he's being paid as a Top Five Quarterback.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The good news for this debate on Russell's;

- eliteness
- greatness
- top 5 or not

Is that this is the year he got paid, and thus will have to continue to get better and hopefully put a nail in the coffin for these types of discussions as to whether he's a top 5 or elite QB.

If another five years go by and guys like Warner still aren't convinced? That's probably not a good thing for how those five years went for Russell and our offense.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
So based on the screenshots shown above and the conversations he has had in studio, it sounds like Warner very much respects Russ as a QB......

Probably views him as one of the top QB's in the NFL.....

So whats the problem again? Why are some of us up in arms?

As we have said here numerous times...one can make a case for Russ anywhere really in the top 5-7 QB's.

Unless some joker ranks him like 15th or below, I'm not going to get too worked up about it. Russ has his faults and its ok if some analysts use those faults to drop him to (gasp!!) 6th. Who cares? Hes not perfect, and we dont need him to be.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Brady- He's the only one I'm convinced is a lock at #1.
Rodgers- Durability is an issue but he can carry a team with poor defense and poor running game.. both of which the Packers have had for quite a while.
Mahomes- Best QB statistically but how good would he be in a different system? I guess it doesn't really matter.. the arm talent is there, and he seems to have a firm grasp of the system.
Luck- Good mind, and with his arm back, there's few players I'd rather have leading my team.
Brees- Benefited from a strong system for years but he's so smart and accurate. Average arm strength.
Wilson- Incredible arm strength, usually accurate. Good mind. Was at his best when he was faster than almost everyone else. I'd like to see him use that weapon more as long as father time will allow it rather than bulk up to "take hits".
Roethisberger- Great system, good arm... No way he's better than the guys above IMO.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I actually respect Warner and enjoy his commentary and analysis. I disagree with him, but it’s not like the five guys he puts above Wilson are bums. While some may argue that he is not top five league wide, he is absolutely top 2 for this particular offense. I can’t think of one QB that would have been able to deal with some of the offensive scheme issues that Wilson has had to deal with the past few years.

I agree that clearly Kurt Warner has never disrespected Wilson, it’s just his opinion. I am confident he will have Wilson back in his top 5 next year. In my opinion., he’s not even in the top 1 of “Kurt” Warners that have played in this league ;)

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
To me if the offense utilizes his ability to run the ball, on purpose not for his life, he is a top 5 qb. If they don’t he is top 10ish.

I need to see how many designed runs we had for him last year vs the year before. My memory is they went down a lot and they were usually too late in the game meaning they didn’t have him run once or twice early to keep the defense honest but waited until too late in the game to have a longer effect.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":1umftyt5 said:
To me if the offense utilizes his ability to run the ball, on purpose not for his life, he is a top 5 qb. If they don’t he is top 10ish.

I need to see how many designed runs we had for him last year vs the year before. My memory is they went down a lot and they were usually too late in the game meaning they didn’t have him run once or twice early to keep the defense honest but waited until too late in the game to have a longer effect.

It's not so much designed runs specifically for Russell to run, it's RPO and read options that you're talking about........and Schotty and Russell called quite a few last year.

The problem I'm seeing is Russell rarely keeps the ball on options until he HAS to late in games to pick up a 1st. That's really the difference between now and what we used to see with Russell running more. He kept it more.

Whether that's coached, or he's doing it because he's slowed down a little and/or doesn't want to get hit? Idk, that's a question only he, Pete and Schotty can answer.

But I know what I'd like to see, I'd like to see him keep it more. Too many times I saw clear running lanes for him to pick up good yards, and he still handed it off. So defenses are now obviously keying on him not keeping it.

D

DomeHawk

His two worst years that he referenced he had the league's worst O-line. That's all you really need to know about that.

There's going to become a time when all of Russell's skills are implemented and he has an adequate O-line to protect him. Will that be this year? I am hoping.