Legion of ZOOM ! -- Seahawks Offense: By the Numbers

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I was sitting around tonight considering the Seahawks recent Offensive Explosion and wondering how that stacked up against the rest of the NFL. I did some number crunching and came up with the following chart. See if this puts it in perspective just how impressive the Hawks Offense has been over the course of the last 4 Games ...

Offense
Average Points/Game Scored (Since Week 10) …

1. Carolina … 36.25 Pts/Game
2. Pittsburgh … 35.0 Pts/Game
3. Seattle … 34.5 Pts/Game
4. Kansas City … 31.5 Pts/Game
5. Indianapolis … 31.3 Pts/Game
6. Arizona … 28.4 Pts/Game
7. Cincinnati … 26.25 Pts/Game
8. Jacksonville … 26.25 Pts/Game
9. Detroit … 26.0 Pts/Game
10. New England … 24.75 Pts/Game
11. Washington … 24.75 Pts/Game
12. New York Jets … 23.75 Pts/Game
13. Tampa Bay 22.5 Pts/Game
14. Chicago … 22.25 Pts/Game
15. Buffalo … 21.75 Pts/Game
16. Green Bay … 21.5 Pts/Game
17. Tennessee … 21.5 Pts/Game
18. Baltimore … 20.5 Pts/Game
19. New York Giants … 20.0 Pts/Game
20. Houston … 19.75 Pts/Game
21. Philadelphia … 19.5 Pts/Game
22. New Orleans … 19.33 Pts/Game
23. Denver … 19.25 Pts/Game
24. Minnesota … 18.0 Pts/Game
25. Oakland … 17.75 Pts/Game
26. San Francisco … 17.33 Pts/Game
27. Miami … 17.25 Pts/Game
28. Atlanta … 16.66 Pts/Game
29. Dallas … 15.75 Pts/Game
30. Cleveland … 13.0 Pts/Game
31. San Diego … 12.33 Pts/Game
32. St. Louis … 9.0 Pts/Game

Football Outsiders right now has the Seahawks #1 Overall in terms of Weighted Offensive DVOA (21.7%)
[#2 in Rushing Offense (13.4%) … #4 in Passing Offense (33.4%)]
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff

If you had told me at the beginning of the year that the Seahawks would be doing this without Marshawn Lynch and now no Jimmy Graham, I would have been looking to see if you were wearing a straight jacket. Absolutely unreal.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I've been watching the NFL and the Seahawks for just about 40 years of my 47 years on this planet and I can tell you with experience that if there's one thing I know for sure about the NFL is that I don't know anything at all.

NFL Commish Pete Rozelle set the league up for parity and boy has he gotten it. There may be what we might call "Safe Bets" in the NFL each week more or less, but there is no rhyme or reason for the way 80% of the games go down and if you think you know, well show me your mansion because surely you would be a millionaire picking all of the games correctly.

Wacky league but boy it's entertaining which is precisely what Rozelle wanted.

Seafan

Reaction score
Aros":2g0cc5zy said:
I've been watching the NFL and the Seahawks for just about 40 years of my 47 years on this planet and I can tell you with experience that if there's one thing I know for sure about the NFL is that I don't know anything at all.

NFL Commish Pete Rozelle set the league up for parity and boy has he gotten it. There may be what we might call "Safe Bets" in the NFL each week more or less, but there is no rhyme or reason for the way 80% of the games go down and if you think you know, well show me your mansion because surely you would be a millionaire picking all of the games correctly.

In spite some impressive records from a few teams there really is no dominant team. Someone said if there was a good year to have a down season the Hawks picked the right one. It's wide open.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Aros":1wnrckh1 said:

WOW! Good observation Todd. I hadn't looked at the data I posted here in that way ... but you're exactly right. It really goes to highlight just how thin the line between success and failure truly is. So what are the factors that end up separating teams that win vs. those that ultimately lose? As we all know, it's things such as:

Having a Strong Defense that can both stone wall the run and limit big plays downfield

Being able to control the clock and limit the offensive opportunities of the opponent

Being able to create and limit turnovers

Being able to strike for big plays at key moments in the game.

Credit the genius of Pete Carroll in being able to construct a team that does those very things extremely well.

To me, what these numbers underline above all is that (unbelievably) the Seahawks Offense is playing as well as anybody in the league. Though it's not their game, right now the Hawks Offense is playing at a really high level and can keep score with anyone in the NFL. From the players, to the coaches, to the national pundits -- everyone agrees that Russell Wilson is playing better than he has in his entire life. He is playing at an All Pro level reserved for those whose tickets to Canton are already punched. If he and the rest of the team can keep this up, I have high hopes that come February we'll be seeing our beloved team make it to the promised land once again.

Mick063

Reaction score
Check my post history. You will find that I rarely blamed Seahawk offensive ills exclusively on their offensive line. My biggest beef (with the O-line) was pre snap penalties.

Using the forum pretzel logic, we now can declare the Seahawk offensive line to be top five.

I mean.....you can't have it both ways. Either the offense is horrible because of them or great because of them, not just horrible exclusively.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Mick063":2nvlui2a said:
Check my post history. You will find that I rarely blamed Seahawk offensive ills exclusively on their offensive line. My biggest beef (with the O-line) was pre snap penalties.

Using the forum pretzel logic, we now can declare the Seahawk offensive line to be top five.

I mean.....you can't have it both ways. Either the offense is horrible because of them or great because of them, not just horrible exclusively.

Meh, it's never been just one thing. The ball coming out quickly has taken the spotlight off of their issues. Gilliam for example, still can't get any push in the run game.

Mick063

Reaction score
The more I watch the Seattle offensive line in the run game, the more I realize that it is more about a successful chop than push.

This O line doesn't block high in the run game and so push isn't all that important.. The only push they need is in the second level and at the point of attack. Even then, the runner seemingly always avoids the point of attack and cuts back toward the fallen/chopped defensive lineman. It is the wide receivers, tight end, and fullback run blocking that often clear the way in the second level and spring the long gains.

Gilliam gets his fair share of successful chop blocks.