Lets be realistic

LTH

Reaction score
I've read a lot of people calling for Pete's head because he is not adjusting... three weeks ago it was Norton before that it was Carroll again? gee I lost track sorry please remind me?

I think what's going on is that because there is no continuity on the O line and because the Hawks don't have a running back that can stay healthy, they have not been able to find balance in the run game and passing game because of injury... It's vitally important to have great communication on the O line to pick up blitzes etc.. if they are switching players out all the time that makes it really hard... I noticed that the Hawks O dipped after Shell got hurt...and after that there were more injuries to the O line... things went flat... it's not an excuse that's undeniable...

Also Russ wants to throw the ball down field because that's who he is....he has lots of options and its been obvious for a long time that he wants to cook...they just need to find that run pass balance and stay healthy...

That being said yeah they could go to the intermediate and short passing game...I think if someone were to look (like i surely have not) you would find that the Hawks do throw those passes... I can remember 3 outs to metcalf and a couple of screens to Moore just off the top of my head... I think they are not picking up blitzes and the O line isn't playing consistently... and Russ is getting his ass kicked...

I think there are lots of things going on that we don't know about as Carroll is always saying that he can't talk about what the media wants to talk about... So it's really hard to put your finger on exactly what's going on...

Im not trying to make excuses that's just the way I see it... It is the same with the D they need to get healthy and have some continuity...

Now as far as Pete is concerned name a team that has had the success that Pete has had consistently drafting in the bottom 10... New England? and????

Getting rid of Pete is not going to get you anything but frustration...you think you are frustrated now how would you like going through what Chicago is going through or Dallas...

I think this has been an extreme year... no fans, no pre season it just sucks...its been a roller coaster season

but there is still time to work it out the Rams game is going to say a lot...

Lets see how they adjust after the loss..

LTH

BubbaGump

Reaction score
LTH":1xufskrx said:
I've read a lot of people calling for Pete's head because he is not adjusting... three weeks ago it was Norton before that it was Carroll again? gee I lost track sorry please remind me?

I think what's going on is that because there is no continuity on the O line and because the Hawks don't have a running back that can stay healthy, they have not been able to find balance in the run game and passing game because of injury... It's vitally important to have great communication on the O line to pick up blitzes etc.. if they are switching players out all the time that makes it really hard... I noticed that the Hawks O dipped after Shell got hurt...and after that there were more injuries to the O line... things went flat... it's not an excuse that's undeniable...

Also Russ wants to throw the ball down field because that's who he is....he has lots of options and its been obvious for a long time that he wants to cook...they just need to find that run pass balance and stay healthy...

That being said yeah they could go to the intermediate and short passing game...I think if someone were to look (like i surely have not) you would find that the Hawks do throw those passes... I can remember 3 outs to metcalf and a couple of screens to Moore just off the top of my head... I think they are not picking up blitzes and the O line isn't playing consistently... and Russ is getting his ass kicked...

I think there are lots of things going on that we don't know about as Carroll is always saying that he can't talk about what the media wants to talk about... So it's really hard to put your finger on exactly what's going on...

Im not trying to make excuses that's just the way I see it... It is the same with the D they need to get healthy and have some continuity...

Now as far as Pete is concerned name a team that has had the success that Pete has had consistently drafting in the bottom 10... New England? and????

Getting rid of Pete is not going to get you anything but frustration...you think you are frustrated now how would you like going through what Chicago is going through or Dallas...

I think this has been an extreme year... no fans, no pre season it just sucks...its been a roller coaster season

LTH
The big part of a lot of people’s frustration is the lack of adjustments. You asking to see how they adjust hits the nail on the head. Pete will not adjust therefore we are stuck in purgatory.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
BubbaGump":9ucv11he said:
LTH":9ucv11he said:

LTH
The big part of a lot of people’s frustration is the lack of adjustments. You asking to see how they adjust hits the nail on the head. Pete will not adjust therefore we are stuck in purgatory.

Ok so you have determined that Carroll will not adjust... how do you want the Hawks to adjust? throw more short intermedate passes... they are throwing those passes...

Run the ball more? the running backs are hurt and it's not worth losing Carson by pounding the ball 20-25 times a game...

So how do you want them to adjust? They are not picking up the blitzes and they turned the ball over twice not a recipe for success...

LTH

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
What is unrealistic is thinking that after a half-decade of making the same mistakes repeatedly, Pete would suddenly see the light and change.

He isn't changing. So neither will our results.

We already know the outcome. A wildcard win and then a quick exit.

I hoped Let Russ Cook might pressure him to change, but that was a pipe dream.

This loss seemed less about the holes in the roster than the holes in our coaching staff.

This last loss was almost more a wake-up call that it was going to be more of the same just like it has been since our SB loss. Pete seems OK with it. Wilson isn't forcing the issue. So that is going to be the future, the same as the past.

The only thing changing is that as Pete gets older, he becomes more resistant to the very change he needs.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":gimuqfqa said:
What is unrealistic is thinking that after a half-decade of making the same mistakes repeatedly, Pete would suddenly see the light and change.

He isn't changing. So neither will our results.

We already know the outcome. A wildcard win and then a quick exit.

I hoped Let Russ Cook might pressure him to change, but that was a pipe dream.

This loss seemed less about the holes in the roster than the holes in our coaching staff.

This last loss was almost more a wake-up call that it was going to be more of the same just like it has been since our SB loss. Pete seems OK with it. Wilson isn't forcing the issue. So that is going to be the future, the same as the past.

The only thing changing is that as Pete gets older, he becomes more resistant to the very change he needs.

Maybe Im missing it but I always thought the Hawks made great adjustments at half time...for years...

Can you see that the O went flat after Shell went down... a bunch of O line injuries? They were down to Wheeler who is what 3th string RT... teams are blitzing the crap out of Wilson and the Hawks are not picking it up... they are throwing short intermediate passes... go back and look

LTH

BubbaGump

Reaction score
LTH":2gs3r7wc said:
BubbaGump":2gs3r7wc said:
LTH":2gs3r7wc said:

LTH

Ok so you have determined that Carroll will not adjust... how do you want the Hawks to adjust? throw more short intermedate passes... they are throwing those passes...

Run the ball more? the running backs are hurt and it's not worth losing Carson by pounding the ball 20-25 times a game...

So how do you want them to adjust? They are not picking up the blitzes and they turned the ball over twice not a recipe for success...

LTH
I’m not a coach just a fan. But even I can see there is Zero adjustment in this teams playing style. Pete’s game style is don’t give up big plays over the top and make big plays over the top. There seems to be very little in between. Why does it seem like every snap Russell is looking for a long bomb to drop? Heck I see this and notice it every week, what do you think the other NFL teams are seeing and do about it? They keep to safety’s back and blitz the it LB’s. No need to cover the middle when 90% of the drop backs are looking for the bomb or curl route on the sidelines.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
BubbaGump":ykaol3d4 said:
LTH":ykaol3d4 said:
BubbaGump":ykaol3d4 said:
LTH":ykaol3d4 said:

LTH

LTH
I’m not a coach just a fan. But even I can see there is Zero adjustment in this teams playing style. Pete’s game style is don’t give up big plays over the top and make big plays over the top. There seems to be very little in between. Why does it seem like every snap Russell is looking for a long bomb to drop? Heck I see this and notice it every week, what do you think the other NFL teams are seeing and do about it? They keep to safety’s back and blitz the it LB’s. No need to cover the middle when 90% of the drop backs are looking for the bomb or curl route on the sidelines.

I don't disagree with you that there is an issue with what's going on . it's just more complicated than people think and I feel my assessment of the O line and running backs as well as finding balance with the run game and the passing game is not far fetched...

I think nobody is giving credit to the Giants I think they confused the Hawks disguising their coverages and blitz packages... they did a really good job of it and caught the Hawks off guard...the D put the Hawks in position to win the game but the O line didn't play consistent enough... really easy to second guess them...

As far as Russ is concerned I think both Russ and Schotty want to throw the ball down field... that's who they want to be and that's fine only, the NFL has found a way to get to Russ.... so the answer is not to shy away from who you are but to get better at picking up those Blitzes on 3rd down and stop turning the ball over... also as Russ does die by his strength and holds the ball to long but all the O woes are not his fault Metcalf has dropped balls consistently he dropped 2 against the eagles that should have been TD's one that hit him square in the face... he dropped a couple against the Giants that hit him right in the hands ...

LTH

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
LTH,

We certainly make changes during the game. But those changes are predetermined, often go or no-go choices.

They are not changes born of exploiting matchups, or adding to the gameplan because you find an opponent is struggling with it. We do not make changes because we uncover a weakness or discover a strength.

Carroll likes to do what he does without considering the opponent. It almost seems like an ego thing for him. He loves imposing his will on opponents, but it only works against the weaker or more flawed ones.

This leaves wins on the table. We might find a matchup win during the course of the game. It might work spectacularly. We probably won't go back to it unless it was part of the original plan.

On the other hand, the opponent WILL adjust. The opponent will call plays to stop some of our key big gainers from working. The opponent will also likely realize that we are struggling with a few things and push more in that direction.

This is the problem.

Years back we did generally come back out and change our tactics, allowing Wilson to start flinging the ball around the field when more ground-oriented approaches were the 1st half focuses. But that was more about limiting the opposition from making adjustments than adjustments themselves.

We don't even try to make adjustments due to personnel or depth issues.

Remember when Rawls got hurt? We still tried to run the ball repeatedly with whathisname. Last night, the entire right side was held together with dental floss and dollar store glue. Did we change anything? Nope. We just run the ball to the right expecting our blocking would be the same.

We don't adjust. We haven't for years. We make CHANGES but not anything determined by the strengths or weaknesses of the opponent. Which means potential matchup wins are often left on the table.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":he404zhh said:
LTH,

We certainly make changes during the game. But those changes are predetermined, often go or no-go choices.

They are not changes born of exploiting matchups, or adding to the gameplan because you find an opponent is struggling with it. We do not make changes because we uncover a weakness or discover a strength.

Carroll likes to do what he does without considering the opponent. It almost seems like an ego thing for him. He loves imposing his will on opponents, but it only works against the weaker or more flawed ones.

This leaves wins on the table. We might find a matchup win during the course of the game. It might work spectacularly. We probably won't go back to it unless it was part of the original plan.

On the other hand, the opponent WILL adjust. The opponent will call plays to stop some of our key big gainers from working. The opponent will also likely realize that we are struggling with a few things and push more in that direction.

This is the problem.

Years back we did generally come back out and change our tactics, allowing Wilson to start flinging the ball around the field when more ground-oriented approaches were the 1st half focuses. But that was more about limiting the opposition from making adjustments than adjustments themselves.

We don't even try to make adjustments due to personnel or depth issues.

Remember when Rawls got hurt? We still tried to run the ball repeatedly with whathisname. Last night, the entire right side was held together with dental floss and dollar store glue. Did we change anything? Nope. We just run the ball to the right expecting our blocking would be the same.

We don't adjust. We haven't for years. We make CHANGES but not anything determined by the strengths or weaknesses of the opponent. Which means potential matchup wins are often left on the table.

Ok so you think what Im saying is off base? it's like they are throwing intermediate and short passes ... how do you think they need to adjust? and who is to say they will not make adjustments after the loss?

I always thought they made good adjustments at half time for years which gives them a chance to make all those comebacks...

So why do you think its so off that the giants caught the Hawks off guard disguising the coverages and blitz packages and the Hawks didn't have an answer for it?

Why do you think its NOT a factor that the lack of continuity of the O line is not playing a role in picking up the blitz packages?

Why do you think that it is wise to run the ball 20-25 times a game with 2 hurt running backs?

Do you not see that the Hawks are throwing intermediate and short passes?

Do you see that Carroll isn't going to go into detail of why he is doing what he is doing so because of that lack of information its really hard to judge what's really going on that leaves it totally open for interpretation...

edit:

the difference in this ball game was 6-7 running plays in the 3rd quarter that the hawks for some reason couldn't stop... and the fact they turned the ball over twice...

LTH

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Carroll's specialty is culture. He's one of the greatest coaches of all time in-between game days. He inspires the players around him. Unfortunately, I think it is clear that his game planning and in-game coaching skills are questionable. Time management is quite possibly the worst I've seen in an NFL head coach and his ideas on the direction of the offense belong in the 1970s. Carroll is also very slow to adjust to what other teams are doing to him and he's been that way since he's got here. His offense works well with a defense that is very strong. It eliminates turnovers, and makes it hard for teams to get back in the game, unfortunately it hasn't been that way for a long time.

We've seen the same thing repeat for years. Ultimately we always default back to this style of football. For example, early in the season we were running a more Holmgrenish offense. Lots of three step dropbacks, short passes used to set up the long bomb. This style worked to perfection and we saw the most explosive offenses in NFL history over the first 5 weeks. After that we slowly begin to transition to the long dropbacks, and the old Pete style of offense which got Wilson beat up. These long developing plays vs. blitzing is foolishness, and I can only attribute it to Carroll who says he dislikes the short passes.

What is all the more confusing about this approach is our RB stable's health. Carson isn't right according to Pete, Penny is out, and Hyde is really all we have. DJ Dallas and Homer really are not that great up the middle. Would it not be more advantageous to use the passing game as proxy for the running game? Spread teams out wide, use short passes like extended handoffs? Every team in the NFL does this, we don't. That also helps the run game in the long run, because teams have to spread the defense out. The Rams for example build their running game off of this principal.

This same story has repeated for 6 years running. Carroll needs to take a backseat to Schottenheimer, and hire a competent DC. He is 69 and has his hands in all facets of the Seahawks organization from drafting to offensive scheming to defense. We're going to only see this get worse as he faces his inevitable cognitive decline that all people face as they get older. He is only three years away from being the oldest coach to ever coach in the NFL. He really needs to delegate everything out and focus on the cultural and procedural elements of being HC.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
The short and intermediate passes being thrown are all check downs to the RB and TE's that always seem to run routes a yard or two short of the first down marker. Where are the quick slants and crossing routes where WRs can try and get yardage after the catch? Run more of those and that equalizes the horrible OL for the most part. Also, this team is the absolute worst at running screens. Its so rare that the team runs a properly set up screen and executes it correctly that I think they pretty much abandoned them completely. The screens are pretty much solely bubble screens to receivers,,,,,still.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":l63sg9e5 said:
Carroll's specialty is culture. He's one of the greatest coaches of all time in-between game days. He inspires the players around him. Unfortunately, I think it is clear that his game planning and in-game coaching skills are questionable. Time management is quite possibly the worst I've seen in an NFL head coach and his ideas on the direction of the offense belong in the 1970s. Carroll is also very slow to adjust to what other teams are doing to him and he's been that way since he's got here. His offense works well with a defense that is very strong. It eliminates turnovers, and makes it hard for teams to get back in the game, unfortunately it hasn't been that way for a long time.

We've seen the same thing repeat for years. Ultimately we always default back to this style of football. For example, early in the season we were running a more Holmgrenish offense. Lots of three step dropbacks, short passes used to set up the long bomb. This style worked to perfection and we saw the most explosive offenses in NFL history over the first 5 weeks. After that we slowly begin to transition to the long dropbacks, and the old Pete style of offense which got Wilson beat up. These long developing plays vs. blitzing is foolishness, and I can only attribute it to Carroll who says he dislikes the short passes.

What is all the more confusing about this approach is our RB stable's health. Carson isn't right according to Pete, Penny is out, and Hyde is really all we have. DJ Dallas and Homer really are not that great up the middle. Would it not be more advantageous to use the passing game as proxy for the running game? Spread teams out wide, use short passes like extended handoffs? Every team in the NFL does this, we don't. That also helps the run game in the long run, because teams have to spread the defense out. The Rams for example build their running game off of this principal.

This same story has repeated for 6 years running. Carroll needs to take a backseat to Schottenheimer, and hire a competent DC. He is 69 and has his hands in all facets of the Seahawks organization from drafting to offensive scheming to defense. We're going to only see this get worse as he faces his inevitable cognitive decline that all people face as they get older. He is only three years away from being the oldest coach to ever coach in the NFL. He really needs to delegate everything out and focus on the cultural and procedural elements of being HC.

Carroll isn't perfect he's human too...I don't think we know exactly what's going on and why Carroll makes the choices he makes due to the fact that Carroll continually avoids talking anything but generalities... and we are not sitting in the meeting rooms in discussion...

Interesting thought on the short passing game lets see if they make that adjustment after the loss...Or what adjustment they make...

Edit: I wanted to make it clear that I agree with almost nothing you said...and I have no IDEA how you think you have the information to make the conclusions that you came to...but ok...

LTH

ZagHawk

Reaction score
LTH":3ixwgjyq said:

LTH

I'm gonna call this crap right now. He's going to adjust, they're going to win a few more games, going to beat the Rams. Everyone is going to think life is good. Then suddenly another game like this is going to happen in the playoffs where the opposing defense is ready for PC's coaching and lack of adjustments...and we see the SAME GARBAGE. quote me on this. i'll eat crow all day if they somehow fix their crap and even make it to the NFCCG this year, but if/WHEN the Hawks get bounced in the first or second round I want to hear your excuse then...some random penalty or injury or o-line rotation right?

Oh and regarding the last thing you wrote, there is NOTHING that this team is being dealt that the other 31 teams are not also dealing with. In fact you could say the Hawks have been doing much better than most of the other teams regarding COVID/IR, Injuries, etc. *knock on wood*. So no excuses there. Our HFA advantage has also not been an advantage the last few years.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We will see if they beat the Rams or not.

So far, since the SB loss, they have had chances to take the division lead by winning one or two important games. Often a head to head late in the year against the leader.

They have dropped them when they had that opportunity so far.

But this is the first year they have been willing to not sit on Wilson for over half a game, so perhaps this is the year.

It would be nice to see them win one of these instead of have a lot of really good excuses for why they lost.

We have to be close enough to the Rams by then it would matter. So we need to win those games with the Jets and Washington. This team doesn't look built to go on a 4 game run, but getting some key guys like Shell healthy should help.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1tcvfmnr said:

So far, since the SB loss, they have had chances to take the division lead by winning one or two important games. Often a head to head late in the year against the leader.

But this is the first year they have been willing to not sit on Wilson for over half a game, so perhaps this is the year.

It would be nice to see them win one of these instead of have a lot of really good excuses for why they lost.

We have to be close enough to the Rams by then it would matter. So we need to win those games with the Jets and Washington. This team doesn't look built to go on a 4 game run, but getting some key guys like Shell healthy should help.

I only see our Hawks beating the Rams because they seem to wake up and play their A game when they are in a must-win situation (which it will need to be against the Rams, as I see the teams tied, at that time and the Hawks cannot be swept this year by the Rams). Especially during a time when they're suddenly underdogs (similar to the Niners game last year, and I think even a Rams game a few years back).

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
ZagHawk":3qmzcq6f said:
LTH":3qmzcq6f said:

LTH

I'm gonna call this crap right now. He's going to adjust, they're going to win a few more games, going to beat the Rams. Everyone is going to think life is good. Then suddenly another game like this is going to happen in the playoffs where the opposing defense is ready for PC's coaching and lack of adjustments...and we see the SAME GARBAGE. quote me on this. i'll eat crow all day if they somehow fix their crap and even make it to the NFCCG this year, but if/WHEN the Hawks get bounced in the first or second round I want to hear your excuse then...some random penalty or injury or o-line rotation right?

Oh and regarding the last thing you wrote, there is NOTHING that this team is being dealt that the other 31 teams are not also dealing with. In fact you could say the Hawks have been doing much better than most of the other teams regarding COVID/IR, Injuries, etc. *knock on wood*. So no excuses there. Our HFA advantage has also not been an advantage the last few years.

Why do you think the Hawks O dipped after Shell went out and then there was a bunch more injuries on the O line... why is that an excuse rather than a factor? Yes the Hawks have to have back ups that rise to the occasion that's true but it's not a talent thing as much as it is a communication thing... Looking at the Giants game, the Giants took advantage of the injuries the Hawks had on the O line by disguising their coverages, stunts and Blitz packages... where the Hawks faltered was they were not able to pick up the stunts and the blitz packages because the communication on the O line wasn't there... because of the lack of continuity of players playing together... This is going to continue until the Hawks show they can beat it...It's clear you have not read through this thread.... cause I'm making the same points over and over...and nobody is addressing the issue at hand... Injuries are not an excuse they are a reality and I think the Hawks D is a perfect example of how continuity plays a major role in the success of a football team...

So firing Carroll because he doesn't make the adjustments you want him to make, when you don't have a clue why Carroll makes the choices he makes is ludicris to say the least...

LTH

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2b2m4l2x said:

It's going to be another crazy division game... and I agree that Russ has to be better and not turn the ball over... the O line has to be better... and the running game has got to take the pressure off of Wilson as well as Schotty and Wilson have to do a better job of play calling to protect the deficiencies on the O line... I guess it all works hand in hand...

LTH