Let's Talk Mariners

m0ng0

Reaction score
"People who haven't played since they were 9 years old think they have it figured out. It gets in these kids' heads."

I am guessing this is Captain obvious Greg Jaynes?

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
that has to be it for Wilhemson and Wedge... has to be

jkitsune

Reaction score
lol. Another 9th-inning walkoff. That's just unbelievable.

And kudos to Wedge for leaving someone in after 3 consecutive walks in the bottom of the 9th so he can complete the blown save.

m0ng0

Reaction score
hahaha lets not forget the wild pitch, there goes that stellar era.

Franklin was an 0fer today we may want to send him down

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
jkitsune":25uganxw said:
lol. Another 9th-inning walkoff. That's just unbelievable.

And kudos to Wedge for leaving someone in after 3 consecutive walks in the bottom of the 9th so he can complete the blown save.

ive been as optimistic as an Ms fan can be, but they (specifically Wedge) lost me today. I'm done with them until he's gone

The Outfield

Reaction score
I'm just too hardcore of an M's fan. I can't be done with them. But I get more and more discouraged as the season progresses.

That said, if we can't rely on our closer to close out 2-run leads consistently, then it could get really pathetic really quickly.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Eric Wedge is a stubborn dinosaur, but his presence shouldn't be the reason you tune out.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Now Smoak is going to the DL. It is part to believe it can get worse. I agree about Wedge, he is very old school and not in a good way. It is my understanding he has has his own philosophy he tries to instill at the plate; that is to be very aggressive.

Is suspect that is one of the reasons that the number of walks when they come up diminishes and strikeouts are through the roof. Listen to some past interviews where Wedge calls Ackerly's problem as too passive at the plate and why he strikes out. I agree at times on outside pitches he freezes. Wedge is right ... He freezes due to over analysis IMO. It is not due to that new fangled sybermetrics, but due to the swing away approach of Wedge.

A lot of good hitters know they have holes and protect them by fouling balls off in those areas and becoming bad ball hitters and/or drawing a lot of walks. Not all players are wired the same and trying to take a patient calculations hitter and changing them into swing away hitters leads to a lot of line drive outs.

hawker84

Reaction score
i personally don't think wedge is the problem, he's no more old school than Lou was.. the problem is the FO, as long as the owners stay who they are and on down to Jack, this team is going nowhere and doing nothing.. every manager they've brought in since lou can't all be this bad...

jkitsune

Reaction score
The problem with the statement 'no more old school than Lou was' is that Lou was a successful manager in the 1990s and very early 2000s. That's 10-20 years ago. Time to evolve with the game.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Losers of 12 of their last 16. The downward spiral is in full force. That sound you just heard was the toilet flushing on another season in Marinerville.

The Radish

Reaction score
Great writeup but you could have covered the Ms in fewer words.

THEY SUCK,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,AGAIN!!!!!

I'm amazed at those of you that listen to "this is our year" talk and seem to believe it every year for 10-12 years.

The owners of this franchise sure knows how dumb its fan base it. Why would anyone want to come and see a team that normally goes 4-12 in the last 16? And then get excited when they win a couple of games. :roll:

The only way you're ever going to get a better team is either to have an ownership change and/or stop supporting them completley for a couple of years. But I know you won't do that.

We football fans had bad years but never a string of absotuvely shitty play every game for 162 games. I begged for Ichiro to be traded years ago so he could have a fair chance to win a ring.

TRADE THE KING SO HE ALSO CAN HAVE A CHANCE TO WIN. He's never going to win here unless he can continue pitching until he's 74.

You fans that refuse to bail,,,,,remember you gave half a billion dollars to this franchise so they could be about the worst team in the league virtually every year. You ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

:les:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I believe Felix has a no-trade clause in his new contract. Believe it or not the guy likes it here.

425HawkSpark

Reaction score
Every year as a mariners fan we do get too excited over little things which is the first sign of a LOSER. Ohh we have a three game win streak, then 8 losses. Or Ohh our "stud" prospect hit a HR and then ends the year with 12 HR and a 235 avg. I will always be a fan but a decade of losing kills the soul. it's hard when we play a team and they show our lineup against theirs and they have. 3-5 players around the .300 avg and better and we hopefully have 1 maybe 2 guys hovering at .290. The only thing we have improved this year is HR's, bay, morse, rauuuul, and kendrys have helped in that category. Let's hope the Astros don't get good.

hawker84

Reaction score
jkitsune":yu3gqwd3 said:
The problem with the statement 'no more old school than Lou was' is that Lou was a successful manager in the 1990s and very early 2000s. That's 10-20 years ago. Time to evolve with the game.

What specifically has changed with the game since lou was here?

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
The Radish":3ratg015 said:
Great writeup but you could have covered the Ms in fewer words.

THEY SUCK,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,AGAIN!!!!!

I'm amazed at those of you that listen to "this is our year" talk and seem to believe it every year for 10-12 years.

The owners of this franchise sure knows how dumb its fan base it. Why would anyone want to come and see a team that normally goes 4-12 in the last 16? And then get excited when they win a couple of games. :roll:

The only way you're ever going to get a better team is either to have an ownership change and/or stop supporting them completley for a couple of years. But I know you won't do that.

We football fans had bad years but never a string of absotuvely shitty play every game for 162 games. I begged for Ichiro to be traded years ago so he could have a fair chance to win a ring.

TRADE THE KING SO HE ALSO CAN HAVE A CHANCE TO WIN. He's never going to win here unless he can continue pitching until he's 74.

You fans that refuse to bail,,,,,remember you gave half a billion dollars to this franchise so they could be about the worst team in the league virtually every year. You ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

:les:

did you bail on the Seahawks in the late 80s and the entire 90s... or does your hypocrisy only apply to baseball?

jog on Radish. we know your feelings on the Ms. dont feel it necessary to pat yourself on the back

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1e32wqwc said:
did you bail on the Seahawks in the late 80s and the entire 90s... or does your hypocrisy only apply to baseball?

jog on Radish. we know your feelings on the Ms. dont feel it necessary to pat yourself on the back

Yeah I have to agree with Uncle Si on this one Les. It's called being a "fan"--through thick and thin there is always hope for the future. You just don't write off an entire team just because they haven't turned it around. Obviously the owners could be a little less tight with the money and the front office hasn't done a great job. But unlike some teams (KC, PIT) the intent is still to contend for a title and as long as that intent rings true then a fan has to back them.

If you are not a fan, that's fine. But the "jilted lover" anger and attitude towards them is a bit much IMO.

jkitsune

Reaction score
I have nothing to say in response to Les's post that is appropriate for this section of the forum, except to say that the arrogance and self-righteousness displayed in its contents is nauseating.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
jkitsune":1b0ol1cx said:
I have nothing to say in response to Les's post that is appropriate for this section of the forum, except to say that the arrogance and self-righteousness displayed in its contents is nauseating.

DHawk

Reaction score
jkitsune":3kw6zw6j said:

Agreed. Gotta say I read the post before I looked at the poster and I gotta say I'm a bit disappointed.