Listen 2 PPL who played (No Preseason missed opportunity?)

ivotuk

Reaction score
It sounds like this team could have used some Preseason to get the Starting OLine used to working together. Not full games, not full game plans, but enough to get used to New Players and a New Offensive (and Defensive) scheme!

Then succeeding years, see how it goes. Cut back on play a little bit at a time, instead of making one huge change!

Listening to Ray Roberts talk about the Offensive Line struggling, it seems that for this head coach, with this new offense, PreSeason would have been a good thing.

And if you want to know why this team has been struggling, listen to the experts, people who have played the game tell it!!

Matt Hasselbeck: "If your offense can't sustain drives, you're not giving your defense, never mind a chance to catch their breath, you're not giving them a chance to make adjustments, get coached up, or communicate, or any of that stuff!"

Mark Schlereth: "Every play, I just fall on the pile and lay there, fart, get up, and the line of scrimmage is right there! I don't have to do anything. But the defense has to run back down the field and be ready to go for the next play! That's why Defensive players have to be much more athletic than offensive linemen. I have no athleticism."

Download these podcasts, and LEARN something! It sure opened my ignorant eyes! I've listed them in my order of importance!!!

THE MATT HASSELBECK SHOW

Week 3-What is the biggest issue for the Seahawks defense?

Matt Hasselbeck discusses the biggest issue causing the Seahawks defensive struggles, why he thinks the offense will be just fine and how much growth he's still seeing in DK Metcalf.

Then, he gives his thoughts on Belichick and Brady facing off for the first time since Brady's departure and why Matt Nagy is taking too much heat for the Bears offensive struggles with Justin Fields at QB.

Plus, our Ranked list today is a collection of Hasselbeck's dumbest injuries he's seen on or off the field.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/category ... lbeck+Show

JAKE AND STACY

Hour 4 - The Huddle - Ray Roberts, Steve Raible, & NBC Bay Area's Matt Maiocco

The second hour of The Huddle rolls on with visits from Ray Roberts, the voice of the Seahawks, Steve Raible, and NBC Sports Bay Area's Matt Maiocco as Jake Heaps, Stacy Rost, and Dave Wyman get you set for Seattle's week 4 matchup against the 49ers.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/category ... +and+Stacy

WYMAN AND BOB

Hour 2 - Mark Schlereth & Aaron Goldsmith

Fox NFL analyst Mark Schlereth joins Dave and Bob for his weekly Stink Tank segment and goes in-depth on the Seahawks defense, including the hunt for a "War Daddy."

Later, Mariners play-by-play broadcaster Aaron Goldsmith talks with the guys about the M's season and discusses his favorite calls of the year.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/category ... an+and+Bob

WYMAN AND BOB

Hour 2 - Paul Moyer

Paul Moyer joins Dave and Bob to talk about his excitement around the Mariners and the memories of past great M's teams he has experienced.

The guys also dive into the questions around the defense and the insight on what to expect that will look different on the field against the 49ers.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/category ... an+and+Bob

JAKE AND STACY

Hour 3 - The Huddle - Seahawks OL Gabe Jackson and Russell Wilson's press conference

Jake, Stacy, and Dave Wyman link up for a week four edition of The Huddle.

In the first hour they're joined by Seahawks OL Gabe Jackson.

Later, Russell Wilson steps to the podium for his weekly press conference.

The hour caps off with John Boyle of Seahawks.com.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/category ... +and+Stacy

MIKE SALK

Hour 2-Geoff Schwartz (NFL Analyst), Brock Huard

We introduce the new movie "Big Dad Energy" featuring Scott Servais before

talking to Geoff Schwartz about the Huskies and upcoming Seahawks vs. 49ers matchup on Sunday.

Brock Huard argues with Salk about the Seahawks defense.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/category ... =Mike+Salk

Jville

Reaction score
The surprise that comes to my mind is the lack of push from the offensive line for the run game in each of the first three games. For me, that's been the biggest surprise on offense. The early season pass blocking confusion with stunts at center and left guard isn't a surprise. Ray Roberts makes an excellent point about the lack of preseason work by starters prior to the regular season.

I would also point out that in order to reserve practice time for Russell's improvisation segment something has to be sacrificed. It has been my understanding that time to practice the screen game is what has been sacrificed during the Wilson era. So it should come as no surprise that their screen game effectiveness is unreliable.

And, if they are not seeing screens in practice, then the defense recognition of developing screens is not going to be all that responsive. So poor screen plays shows up on both sides of the ball. KJ Wright, AKA Spider Man, was so reliable at sniffing out screens and batting down passes from underneath. With new players, it takes awhile to realize that sort of play making.

In another segment the term "Hero Ball" was used to describe defenders trying to do too much ...... implying a break down of assignment discipline. Also, it seems to me that current league rules are eating thru available defensive backs and prospects at a faster rate.

With regards to this years forum, it's been overwhelmed by more negative nannies and cry babies than I can stomach. So I have cut back on forum visits. Someone else will fill any void and volunteer to post roster churn alerts, injury reports, and transcripts.

I enjoy and appreciate your volunteered and content oriented posts ...... as well as those of "jammerhawk". You enrich the lives of others. Without volunteers, this world would be a much poorer place.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Great post I.

It's easy to call everyone and everything a failure. To look to blame someone, or something for a loss. Truth is, there are 32 teams in the NFL with good to great coaches, front offices, and teams that are capable of winning too.

My biggest issue is nobody wants to put any effort in to finding the actual issues, and discussing them. They just want someone to blame, Cut, Fire, Replace. Happens all the time with weak teams, and weak people. That's why there are crappy teams, year after year. They have a couple of losses, the local radio station wants to assign blame and Cut/Fire/Replace people, they get the local population to go along, and they've got a crap team that loses and the whole thing repeats itself.

That's why I have a hard time listening to 710. They are desperate to blame someone Monday morning and want someone Fired/Cut/Replaced.

It would be nice if they took a reasonable look at the issues, and came up with ideas. But that takes effort, and research. It's much easier to just trash people.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Lack of push? Outside of the Tennessee game Carson averaged 5.7 a carry in Indy, and 6.7 in Minnesota.

Maybe they should run more.

Jville

Reaction score
Throwdown":3qu4fwah said:
Lack of push? Outside of the Tennessee game Carson averaged 5.7 a carry in Indy, and 6.7 in Minnesota.

Maybe they should run more.

:34853_doh: That brings out another all too common forum failure of failing to comprehend a post before firing off some knee jerk reaction. The lack of push statement was in reference to the offensive line. A perspective offered up by Ray Roberts as well in an above posted link.

Jville

Reaction score
ivotuk":md0t2bsj said:
Great post I.

It's easy to call everyone and everything a failure. To look to blame someone, or something for a loss. Truth is, there are 32 teams in the NFL with good to great coaches, front offices, and teams that are capable of winning too.

My biggest issue is nobody wants to put any effort in to finding the actual issues, and discussing them. They just want someone to blame, Cut, Fire, Replace. Happens all the time with weak teams, and weak people. That's why there are crappy teams, year after year. They have a couple of losses, the local radio station wants to assign blame and Cut/Fire/Replace people, they get the local population to go along, and they've got a crap team that loses and the whole thing repeats itself.

That's why I have a hard time listening to 710. They are desperate to blame someone Monday morning and want someone Fired/Cut/Replaced.

It would be nice if they took a reasonable look at the issues, and came up with ideas. But that takes effort, and research. It's much easier to just trash people.

It isn't just 710. Corbin Smith has been going on and on about the screen game for a week now. He has no idea how many screen reps the Vikings have accumulated this year in practice in comparison to how many screen reps the Seahawks have accumulated this year. His rants suggest he isn't the least bit cognizant that execution is a reflection of rehearsals. "That execution is in the preparation". It doesn't seem to matter how many times the importance of preparation is mentioned. It's as if there is a herd mentality of idiocracy running rampant that makes thoughtful considerations too difficult and some how too painful for this generation to contemplate.

LTH

Reaction score
ivotuk":g9nyqxdy said:
Great post I.

I talk a lot about the process that Carroll uses and i don't think people really understand what i'm talking about. it takes a while to figure out where all the pieces fit. Carroll likes to find players with unique qualities and sometimes it takes some time to figure out how to use those players in the scheme... some times not..

So your right in that its not about blame its more about figuring it all out and then getting good together... I'm patient because its not all about how they start, its about coaching these players to their strengths, making sure they fit in the scheme, making adjustments where they need to be made, and then finding rhythm and rolling.. its not how they start its how they finish. they just need to stay close for now...

Edit: as far as the media it's not reporting anymore its about filling air time and ratings. I don't even listen anymore because of EXACTLY what your saying... Softy is a perfect example of that. I had a conversation with the soft one out side a bar one time and their isnt anyone in Seattle that knows more about the Seahawks than the soft one he doesn't believe what he talks about they are just filling time..

LTH

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
This is an interesting excuse.

A good percentage of the teams played key starters little during the preseason, ostensibly to avoid injury.

It is an interesting excuse because as last year showed, the defenses tend to struggle more with no preseason.

If anything, the offense should have an advantage, an advantage that will dissipate as defenses tighten up and get on track with each other.

So yeah, no preseason or a choice not to play people in the preseason is not an excuse.

Because not only is everyone else doing it too, but defenses will get better against us.

LTH

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2sgg3uti said:
This is an interesting excuse.

A good percentage of the teams played key starters little during the preseason, ostensibly to avoid injury.

It is an interesting excuse because as last year showed, the defenses tend to struggle more with no preseason.

If anything, the offense should have an advantage, an advantage that will dissipate as defenses tighten up and get on track with each other.

So yeah, no preseason or a choice not to play people in the preseason is not an excuse.

Because not only is everyone else doing it too, but defenses will get better against us.

I don't think not playing in preseason is why the Hawks are having a slow start. I think its exactly why I said above in my last post and I am right...3/4 of this board does not understand this process and NEVER will because they dont want to...

LTH

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Guys avoided Schlereth like the plague when he played. Dude used to shit his pants every game and piss. No wonder they called him stank