Liz Mathews: Avril could be out rest of season

razor150

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":cw1pm2mu said:
Why are we jumping to conclusions that it's possibly career ending. Stingers aren't usually super bad, no?

Not always. Remember the RT Holmgren drafted, McIntosh I think, that never really played for us? He got a neck stinger and was never able to make it back. Stingers are no joke, sometimes they have a nasty habit of not going away.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
I had one in my lower back 32 years ago and I feel it almost every day of my life
This @#$%^ for real and can be a problem for the rest of your life but every situation's different so either way
Good luck Cliff and wish you the best whatever you do

Hawks46

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2p1s36bb said:
Seymour":2p1s36bb said:
NFSeahawks628":2p1s36bb said:
Why are we jumping to conclusions that it's possibly career ending. Stingers aren't usually super bad, no?

As I understand it, a stinger is more pain / numbing in one arm or hand. Avril was having that in both, so it was thought it to be considerably worse than just a stinger.

Spent a year playing with one before quitting football (diagnosed and follow ups with the Raiders’ team doctor at the time) and it was both arms. Numbness down arms and fingers, couldn’t lift my arms above my shoulders without sever pain by the end of games, and overall just an awful experience. 20 years later and I still have neck problems from it, avoid military press, etc. (although I suspect that’s because I played on it all year and had a POS coach feeding me pain killers rather than sitting me down).

In any case, yeah, more pain than anything else and not a problem long term if treated appropriately, but can be both arms too.

Good info man. Thanks.

Seafan

Reaction score
We still don't know everything but what I heard post game was enough to suspect season ending at least and with that I said he likely played his last game with the Hawks.

If he comes back this season it would be gravy.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
What a freak thing to happen to cause an injury like this. He got clipped in the head by one of Brissett's feet didn't he? In any case, I hope Cliff heals well and gets the best advice he can get when it comes to his playing career.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
The way the injury happened, it is pretty clear that it aggravated something that was already there, he just didn't know it, or at least didn't know how big of a problem it is. It was more than a stinger, and my gut feeling is that his career is finished. I think he will ultimately be cleared to play, but I doubt he will want to come back.

It was scary to watch, and I'm sure it was even scarier to experience. He has had a stellar career, his family should be set for life by now, and there is really no reason to risk permanent paralysis at this point.

Now, I haven't seen the films, so perhaps his underlying problem isn't as severe as I suspect, just going on an educated hunch

JimmyG

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":35yty487 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/915690245483401217[/tweet]

Latest posts