Lj Collier...remember him?

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
Well, this would be the year for him to prove he was a first round pick, but I thought I read somewhere that he wouldn't really fit that well on our 3-4 defense...

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Vaguely recall the name, but...Wait, it's coming to me, he was, um...Oh yeah! The...Wait...Nope. Don't remember.

Smellyman

Reaction score
He is a big slow DE with heavy hands.

Good news is in a 3-4 is better suited for him.

He will get a lot of playing time as second string. Make or break season for him

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
He is a big slow DE with heavy hands.

Good news is in a 3-4 is better suited for him.

He will get a lot of playing time as second string. Make or break season for him
Now I understand why they are switching to a 3-4. To minimize the bust ability of this former #1 pick! 🤣

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Make or break season for him

Haven't we been saying that about him for the past 10 years or however long he's been on this roster now (because it sure as hell feels like 10 years)?

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Well, this would be the year for him to prove he was a first round pick, but I thought I read somewhere that he wouldn't really fit that well on our 3-4 defense...

That's interesting to me, because I remember hearing and reading that the Seahawks wanted to use Collier in the old 4-3 scheme like they used Bennett, as a DE who could play some downs at DT.
It seems to me that's just the right kind of player to be a 3-4 DE. But I'll be the first to say it's nothing more than an intuitive notion I had. If I've misunderstood, I ask that somebody please explain.
That said, Collier pretty clearly appears not to be a starter, and I'm not completely convinced he'll even make the roster this season, but the Seahawks might as well give Collier some playing time in the preseason to protect starters from unnecessary injuries and see if he can be a useful piece in a DL rotation. In either case, it's pretty clear to me that barring some kind of crazy, extremely unlikely turnaround for Collier, he won't be a Seahawk in the 2023 season.

EDITED to add: Collier has a sprained elbow, and Carroll said that if he were a pitcher, they'd be thinking about "the Tommy John stuff," but that he doesn't need to throw and he won't be having surgery anytime soon. It seems more likely now that Collier won't make the roster. However, I don't think the injury affects the Seahawks' salary cap very much, because I don't think cutting him would save much cap money even if he were healthy. $986,325 of his $1.973M salary for 2022 is guaranteed.

Last edited:

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
That's interesting to me, because I remember hearing and reading that the Seahawks wanted to use Collier in the old 4-3 scheme like they used Bennett, as a DE who could play some downs at DT.
It seems to me that's just the right kind of player to be a 3-4 DE. But I'll be the first to say it's nothing more than an intuitive notion I had. If I've misunderstood, I ask that somebody please explain.
That said, Collier pretty clearly appears not to be a starter, and I'm not completely convinced he'll even make the roster this season, but the Seahawks might as well give Collier some playing time in the preseason to protect starters from unnecessary injuries and see if he can be a useful piece in a DL rotation. In either case, it's pretty clear to me that barring some kind of crazy, extremely unlikely turnaround for Collier, he won't be a Seahawk in the 2023 season.
Well, I figure there's a reason why they declined the 5th year option.

keasley45

Reaction score
I'm pulling hard for the dude. Can't say I'm optimistic, but the 3-4 shift is perfect for what he is physically. We can only be better if he finally finds a place where he can succeed.

Ruminator

Reaction score
My recollection is that last season, despite continued struggles at times, he was finally starting to make some decent plays and showed glimmers of why the 'Hawks spent a draft pick to get him. In light of that, if they let him go before Week 1, I'd consider that surprising.

Last edited: