Looking at the 2018 Seahawks offensive line without bias

original poster

Reaction score
hawknation2018":2vv9iog0 said:
original poster":2vv9iog0 said:
nanomoz":2vv9iog0 said:
To my eyes Ifedi was so much better at right tackle than he was at guard. The penalties and being a rookie in 2016 complicate that, of course. He had like three times as many penalties in 2017 compared to 2016.

I think he plays too high to be a good guard. If he's a bust at tackle I think he's a bust.

I think we'll know if it's going to work in five or six games in 2018--assuming he plays. I'm actually hopeful for some stupid reason.

That's interesting. I see Ifedi succeeding at guard more so than Tackle.

I remain very optimistic about him, though.

He could easily be Justin Britt 2.0.

I'm sure everyone on here remembers how we all wanted Britt off the team after two seasons. Exactly the same is happening with Ifedi.

It's been proven that year 3 usually see's a huge jump in performance for NFL players. Where that stands with Ifedi playing one year at RG and one at RT I don't know, very intrigued to see it all pan out.

this is going to be an exciting year of football, that's for sure! Purely for how many question marks and unknowns we have surrounding this team, can't help but get excited over that! :2thumbs:

Pad level is one of the more easily correctable technique issues for a lineman. Plus, Ifedi hasn't had an issue with any real issue with pad level. 6 feet, 5 3/4 inches tall (325 lbs) isn't too tall for a guard. Generally, he does a nice job staying low and firing off the ball in the run game.

Ifedi's tape at RG is small: 13 games, as a rookie, playing a new position and dealing with a high ankle sprain. But unlike at RT, Ifedi showed the potential to grow into a very good guard had they left him at that position. Above all else, he is a north-south road grader. This is why Walter Jones said last season that he thought Ifedi should move back to RG. I wish we could hear more from Jones on this topic.

The key difference between Ifedi and James Carpenter is that Carpenter was smart enough to ask for -- and embrace -- a move to guard. Like Ifedi, Carpenter had played tackle for most of his career, but he wasn't well suited for that position at the NFL level. Recognizing oneself is fundamentally important to success in any profession.

I had a really nice chat with Walter Jones recently, he is feeling very optimistic about Ifedi's development and thinks he will thrive under Solari :2thumbs:

purpleneer

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":12wnfcv7 said:
The best thing you can do is commit to the run. Even a moderate O Line is better when you run and beat up the other teams front 7. You can't just let them pin their ears back and rush the passer full speed. It will make them accountable to the running game. Plus you have a speedy big time RB now. So use him and take some pressure off the pass rush and Russell Wilson. I believe they way your line is made up personnel wise it is slated more for run blocking than pass blocking. I understand you had some big pass blocking troubles last season. But the way to handle that is to take some pressure off of the pass blocking by run blocking.
To a point. Waiting to pass until they've stopped the run is too late. The more confident a defense is that one or the other isn't a worry, the better you have to be on offense and smaller your margin for error. The key is to keep the ball for more plays and move the chains instead of ending a drive because you tried for the big play when it wasn't there.

kf3339

Reaction score
original poster":127adikk said:
hawknation2018":127adikk said:
original poster":127adikk said:
nanomoz":127adikk said:
To my eyes Ifedi was so much better at right tackle than he was at guard. The penalties and being a rookie in 2016 complicate that, of course. He had like three times as many penalties in 2017 compared to 2016.

I think he plays too high to be a good guard. If he's a bust at tackle I think he's a bust.

I think we'll know if it's going to work in five or six games in 2018--assuming he plays. I'm actually hopeful for some stupid reason.

I'm sure everyone on here remembers how we all wanted Britt off the team after two seasons. Exactly the same is happening with Ifedi.

It's been proven that year 3 usually see's a huge jump in performance for NFL players. Where that stands with Ifedi playing one year at RG and one at RT I don't know, very intrigued to see it all pan out.

this is going to be an exciting year of football, that's for sure! Purely for how many question marks and unknowns we have surrounding this team, can't help but get excited over that! :2thumbs:

Pad level is one of the more easily correctable technique issues for a lineman. Plus, Ifedi hasn't had an issue with any real issue with pad level. 6 feet, 5 3/4 inches tall (325 lbs) isn't too tall for a guard. Generally, he does a nice job staying low and firing off the ball in the run game.

Ifedi's tape at RG is small: 13 games, as a rookie, playing a new position and dealing with a high ankle sprain. But unlike at RT, Ifedi showed the potential to grow into a very good guard had they left him at that position. Above all else, he is a north-south road grader. This is why Walter Jones said last season that he thought Ifedi should move back to RG. I wish we could hear more from Jones on this topic.

The key difference between Ifedi and James Carpenter is that Carpenter was smart enough to ask for -- and embrace -- a move to guard. Like Ifedi, Carpenter had played tackle for most of his career, but he wasn't well suited for that position at the NFL level. Recognizing oneself is fundamentally important to success in any profession.

I had a really nice chat with Walter Jones recently, he is feeling very optimistic about Ifedi's development and thinks he will thrive under Solari :2thumbs:

That information about Walter's comment is really good to hear. Hope he is right!

toffee

Reaction score
original poster":3iw4qywt said:
hawknation2018":3iw4qywt said:
original poster":3iw4qywt said:
nanomoz":3iw4qywt said:

omg if Ifeldi can lock down the RT spot, our OL may be one guard away from being adequate. That and the additional. Of blocking TE and fullback. We are a differ by team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
toffee":d0zbjyze said:
omg if Ifeldi can lock down the RT spot, our OL may be one guard away from being adequate. That and the additional. Of blocking TE and fullback. We are a differ by team.

I think either your Tapatalk or iPhone is broken...

But what I understood, I agree with. We may indeed have a serviceable line this next year. And the RBs may make it look better than it is. If we have a running game, Russ becomes more of a threat with his feet, too. Shades of 2012-14...

hawknation2018

Reaction score
original poster":24dbjjd2 said:
hawknation2018":24dbjjd2 said:
original poster":24dbjjd2 said:
nanomoz":24dbjjd2 said:

That’s awesome! Does he still prefer Ifedi at guard or was he deferring to the judgment of Solari, his former OL Coach?

toffee

Reaction score
hawknation2018":ga146m5o said:
original poster":ga146m5o said:
hawknation2018":ga146m5o said:
original poster":ga146m5o said:

That’s awesome! Does he still prefer Ifedi at guard or was he deferring to the judgment of Solari, his former OL Coach?
i believe Pete and John’s draft strategy, probably with input and endorsement from Solari, was for Ifeldi to lockdown on RT.