Looks like Simon Had (is having) his Surgery

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3brfjy7h said:
Vetamur":3brfjy7h said:
Man people are harsh on Simon.. red shirted his freshman, thrown in the fire in the playoffs with a dislocated shoulder that needed surgery trying to play man vs. receivers who catch 100 balls a year...

He'll get his surgery. He'll get coached up. He'll get more practice and more experience. And come back next year at a good level.

Unfortunately Simon's on a team where the expectations for our DB's is extremely high..........and our entire defensive DB scheme is predicated on our outside DB's dominating.

It doesn't help that he's had some really dumb penalties and seems to beg for flags on seemingly every pass that's completed against him. Doesn't exactly ingratiate himself to fans and those that are critical of him.

And yet fans loved Brandon Browner despite the same mistakes.

Once Simon starts making plays, the critics will have a harder time finding an audience who cares.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3rhlxzgi said:
Sgt. Largent":3rhlxzgi said:
Vetamur":3rhlxzgi said:
Man people are harsh on Simon.. red shirted his freshman, thrown in the fire in the playoffs with a dislocated shoulder that needed surgery trying to play man vs. receivers who catch 100 balls a year...

He'll get his surgery. He'll get coached up. He'll get more practice and more experience. And come back next year at a good level.

Unfortunately Simon's on a team where the expectations for our DB's is extremely high..........and our entire defensive DB scheme is predicated on our outside DB's dominating.

It doesn't help that he's had some really dumb penalties and seems to beg for flags on seemingly every pass that's completed against him. Doesn't exactly ingratiate himself to fans and those that are critical of him.

Once Simon starts making plays, the critics will have a harder time finding an audience who cares.

I don't remember fans loving Browner as much as you then, cause I remember a LOT of pissed off fans at the constant penalties and suspensions. He was seen as the most expendable LOB member for a reason.

Simon should be fine, but IMO he's got some maturity issues going on.

Jville

Reaction score
The career of Sidney Rice was damaged and cut short because he didn't master the art of falling / landing.

Debbie Downer thinks Tharold Simon has shown similar landing deficiencies.

So ..... yes he does have a plate full of goals to work on. But ..... I thought, from day one, that Tharold Simon would be a 3 year project.

Rat

Reaction score
I thought Simon looked great this year. Definitely looks like another later round DB steal by the front office. His recurring injuries are a concern, but if he's on the field, we're in fine shape with him.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Forgot he was injured too from that Arizona game. So Byron Maxwell was our only true healthy DB in the Super Bowl. That's why it makes me sick to see headlines of "how Brady dissected the Hawks defense".

morgulon1

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":l55ojluz said:
Forgot he was injured too from that Arizona game. So Byron Maxwell was our only true healthy DB in the Super Bowl. That's why it makes me sick to see headlines of "how Brady dissected the Hawks defense".

Exactly. LOB was on fumes and it took a miracle for NE to win.

Throwdown

Reaction score
No one seems to remember how bad Maxwell looked when he got early in his career.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Vetamur":22m528io said:

Totally agree. Our Humble Thug is a much better CB than many here are acknowledging. Simon will prove to be a quality CB in time Sherman thinks he's got the stuff and the rest of the LOB do too. Simon got well schemed as a young player in the SB but played well in his minutes this season. For him getting healthy is the key to good things.

Pn'J think he's got the stuff, and I'm sure our new DC does too. Another TC, his 2nd after 3 seasons, some intensive coaching up, and all the negative finger pointers won't have a great argument to make against this tall, long armed, physical, and adequately fast CB. He knows a starter's job is in the mix if he can compete.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
HawkFan72":119z1owe said:
Sgt. Largent":119z1owe said:
Vetamur":119z1owe said:

We loved Browner's toughness and de-cleating hits. When he wasn't getting flagged he was scaring the crap out of every receiver who came his way. That earned him some leeway.

Simon can get there, but in his small sample size he hasn't shown an extra-special quality to offset the mistakes. That preseason 100+ yard INT return got us all salivating. If he could come back and grab some picks, or level a few WRs, like you say, that would go a long way to shutting up the critics.

Largent80

Reaction score
I think he was doing quite well prior to his injury, not the same after that, hence the operation.

What Throw said...Maxwell wasn't all that for at least 2 years.

Simon didn't play his whole rookie year so essentially, he was a rookie last year.

Ozzy

Reaction score
It's hard not to be a little worried after how he looked in the Carolina game and the SB but the reported injury makes me feel a little better about it. He did look really good at times earlier this year. I'm cautiously optimistic but would also like to a add a couple of guys for competition.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Throwdown":1ldwliey said:
No one seems to remember how bad Maxwell looked when he got early in his career.
Or how much more progressed is Simon is at this point in his career than Maxwell was. I mean Simon missed all of last year, basically all of training camp and pre season and comes in and starts shutting guys down until he got hurt. I really liked what I saw from him.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Couple of things that I learned about Simon last season.

1. He needs playing time and more coaching to overcome his initial over-aggressive, sometimes knucklehead, penalty-inducing play.

2. He's not a slot corner. He's not a quick-twitch type.

3. He's still an outside CB project in work.