Lord have mercy, we had Percy

jammerhawk

Reaction score
There isn't a Hawk fan that doesn't think the Harvin trade was a huge mistake by the FO, expensive too, that said the FO realized he wasn't a fit here and got rid of him which took courage and showed a prompt willingness to acknowledge their mistake.

Percy was very exciting to watch if and when he was motivated or healthy and is undoubtedly an uber physically talented football player but he's a headcase that the team couldn't figure out. Too bad because when he bought in some really exciting things happened on O and occasionally on returns.

He's gone and good riddance, just hope the Jets keep him and the Hawks get a 4th instead of just the 6th. Continuing to throw rocks at Pn'J over Harvin fails to take into consideration the strength of the rest of their personnel decisions. I like the idea that they swung for the fence with Harvin but in the end it was Harvin that was flawed and not the idea of using him here.

Threedee

Reaction score
Considering the kind of talent Seattle has drafted in the 5th-6th rounds, it's not all bad. Hell, a 7th round pick won SB MVP.

StoneCold

Reaction score
I get tired of people calling it a mistake because it didn't work out. Harvin had the potential to be a dynamic player. When you watch him run it's clear he is a unique top talent. It's unfortunate that Pete and company couldn't convince him to stop listening to his lesser self, but to their credit, when they knew it wasn't going to happen, they dumped him. I say it was a good risk to take at the time.

SC

Jacknut16

Reaction score
StoneCold":2n8to6ss said:
I get tired of people calling it a mistake because it didn't work out. Harvin had the potential to be a dynamic player. When you watch him run it's clear he is a unique top talent. It's unfortunate that Pete and company couldn't convince him to stop listening to his lesser self, but to their credit, when they knew it wasn't going to happen, they dumped him. I say it was a good risk to take at the time.

SC

It was well known he was a head case, could not get along with others, coaches, ect.

The draft pick price was far too high, the contract far too high.

I hated the trade from day one, and hate it every time its brought up.

This was not a good risk, and it highlights one of the one few weaknesses that Carroll has.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
StoneCold":2hsudgg2 said:

SC
You get tired of people calling a mistake a mistake? I get tired of people pretending the worst move in Seahawks history wasn't that bad.

1. Harvin DID NOT have the potential to be a dynamic player with us. He was a very limited and mediocre wr in minnesota. Why would a limited mediocre wr suddenly find success in seattle when he wasn't successful on the field in minnesota?

2. I have seen him run plenty, and he is not very unique nor is he anywhere close to a top talent. He was mediocre in minnesota, seattle, and now new york. He has been mediocre for every pro team he has played for.

3. YOU say it was a good risk at the time, but how much thought and analysis did you put into your assessment? Did you study him to see how mediocre he was in minny (obviously not if you call him a top talent).

1st + 3rd + 7th + $67m/6yr contract for a MEDIOCRE rb/wr.

There was literally 0% chance of success. He wasn't good in minnesota and when combined with his well-known attitude and injury problems there was no way it was going to work out. Either he would be healthy but mediocre, or injured and bad, and in both cases he would be a pain in the butt and come nowhere near earning his salary.

The BEST case scenario with Harvin would still be failure.

This failure could be seen from1000 miles away. I really hope it was pete twisting John's arm because the harvin trade is the worst move in team history and one of the worst trades in nfl history. Its hurt me that John could do something so foolish.

Throwdown

Reaction score
How in the hell is someone who was a MVP candidate before their injury mediocre? I'm baffled

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Throwdown":hgzdg8fp said:
How in the hell is someone who was a MVP candidate before their injury mediocre? I'm baffled

Read half the post...then was like....

4db26bb112d790b56fcaa934bad0b78808828b10

razor150

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":34ne1jaa said:
Throwdown":34ne1jaa said:

Yeah, callling Harvin medoicre for the Vikings shows a clear lack of fooball knowledge. That doesn't make the trade better though, they knew the character of Harvin before the trade so his behaviour here should have never been a surprise.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
It was a case of risk vs. reward with Pussy. Pete decided the potential risk in terms of behavior, draft picks cost and contract cost was worth the possible reward of a dynamic playmaker. He was wrong and I suspect he knew that once Harvin got a second opinion and surgery and was slated to pretty much miss the whole season before it even started.

Anyway, was initial risk/reward also known as a trade a mistake? In hindsight of course it was but in fairness consider how much he could've helped our offense had he performed as he was in Minny when he was in the conversation for NFL MVP. You're Pete and you know you're close to winning a championship and you have a chance at a guy that might be the difference between getting that title and not getting it. Really, how do you not make the trade?

Some people here, most notably HawkWow said the risk was not worth the reward. Those people ended up being correct and I admire their foresight. I for one, like Pete, saw the guy as quite possibly being the difference in my beloved Hawks winning their first ever Owl.

The saddest thing in all of this is Pussy himself. The guy could've had that fresh start in Seattle, contributed to a team that has a chance to win multiple Super Bowls and maybe even had a HOF type career if he had just been committed to that and his team. Oh well, when he's 55 years old I guess he can take comfort in knowing he got paid and did contribute, for one brief game to a Super Bowl winning team. Too bad he'll likely be unwanted at the reunions for all the bullshit baggage he brought with him, re-opened in Seattle and then took out the door when he was unceremoniously dumped for being a giant POS.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
razor150":32qxc88j said:
dontbelikethat":32qxc88j said:
Throwdown":32qxc88j said:

Yeah, callling Harvin medoicre for the Vikings shows a clear lack of fooball knowledge. That doesn't make the trade better though, they knew the character of Harvin before the trade so his behaviour here should have never been a surprise.

I put the Harvin deal directly on Bevell's shoulders.

Sterlinghawk

Reaction score
Don't disrespect Shawn Kemp like that.[/quote]

Exactly, Tate did a few good to spectacular things as a Seahawk but not enough to invoke the legend of Reign Man.....not even close

StoneCold

Reaction score
Hey, I studied a ton of films. Raging Bull, Any Given Sunday, Willy Wonka. Pretty sure Schneider is an Oompa Loompa. Man sees through the bull. But Pete is Willy Wonka. He wants to believe in the goodness of people and thinks he can bring it out. Turned out Pussy was too much Jake Lamotta and not enough Veruca Salt.

SC

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
Holy Smoke revisionist history comes a rolling in.

We took a risk on Harvin, and it was a risk. I do not think anyone thought differently. But if they could crack the Harvin Code and make it work he is one of the most uniquely talented football players in the league.

It was a high risk, high reward gamble and we lost. But they did not compound the risk and hang on to save some face with anyone.

If anything this could have some long term beneficial side effect. It is obvious if you come here and perform you most likely will get paid. And it is obvious that no matter what the draft pick, trade collateral the they spend on someone if you do not buy in and perform you are gone. I think this sends a very good long term message.

So it may look bad and did cost us, the long term benefit is that when you come here you have a shot. It is up to the individual to make it happen.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
And don't look now but Percy is hurt again... He was having a good game too before he pulled himself with a rib injury. His team lost to the pats by 1 point. You got to believe when the Jets made the deal they thought he could make them at least 1 point better as a team.

This is the issue with Percy. You are rolling the dice building a game plan around a guy who could check out at any momment. Lord yes he is fast but you just can't count on him.

WendellWent

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":n3yo6269 said:
razor150":n3yo6269 said:
dontbelikethat":n3yo6269 said:
Throwdown":n3yo6269 said:

I put the Harvin deal directly on Bevell's shoulders.

Why? it was pretty clearly a Pete Carroll move.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
Trading for Percy Harvin was the worst move ever made by John S .

Trading away Percy Harvin was one of more brilliant moves John S consistently makes . Love being a seahawks fan

evergreen

Reaction score
Don't diss Tate. He has best hands in NFL. Two onehanded tds. I always had a bad feeling about bringing in a prima donna. But kudos to JS for dumping him like a hot rock.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I line up with StoneCold. It ended up a mistake in hindsight, but the move made sense in theory.

I look at it this way: The cost it took to get Harvin is mitigated because with the 30M+ they'll save after trading him, they'll have the money to keep Wagner and Wilson both. After his accelerated cap hit next season, he's off our books just in time to wrap up any players important to our core that we need to wrap up.

I'm also not convinced that losing Tate is connected to keeping Harvin. Something is REAL fishy there even if we don't know what it is. I think Tate would have been lowballed by the FO anyway. It seems that in his own way, Tate was a mini-cancer (even if there is no doubting his talent).

madbohem

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":2z5jkzfx said:
What drugs are you guys taking that you can actually tell yourselves that we traded harvin for wright and avril?

We traded valuable picks and gave a huge contract to a guy who was MEDIOCRE in minnesota.

The Hawks basically pulled a Jim Mcillvaine, and Tate is shawn kemp. Except the seahawks traded a 1st, 3rd, 7th for their "jim mcillvaine".

So please, guys, tell me what drugs are required to turn the worst trade in Hawks history to "we got avril and wright".

PS. Unless Harvin restructures his contract he is highly unlikely to be a jet next year. Harvin is worth about $2m per season if he stays healthy. If he is injured he can be worth as little as $0. No sane gm (who drugged Schneider? ) would pay $10m for a player who is more likely to end a game with 20 yards than he is 100.

what would have been if we just would have said yes Mutumbo

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Meh.

The Trade was bad but completely horrible as the small time director is trying to paint it as.

Cost was higher because of playing keep away with San Fran.

Cost was higher because Harvin is one of the most dynamic play-makers in the league.

Its hard to say whether the Seahawks would have hit gold with that 1st round draft pick. But the others they lost the 3rd and 7th they got back by trading down twice for and wanted all along Paul Richardson and getting the guy they probably would have got with the 32nd pick of 3rd, in the early 4th in Cassius Marsh.

And that 7th round pick was the pick Buff gave for T-Jack and then the Seahawks got him back after a year.

So losing that first round pick hurts but great teams can afford to make mistakes like that and take a hit. Especially teams that tend to draft better in the later rounds.

So much of hooplah is generated more or less over the contract and Harvin also missing the 2013 season.

But I thought the narrative was great, Seahawks trade for a difference maker that catpulted them to pre-season favorites and they go on to play 99% of the 2013 season without Harvin and still win a Championship.

Yet, that's not real reason why the trade looks bad in hindsight... its the 4 primary players we lost that we could still have in the process..

Golden Tate
Red Bryant
Chris Clemons
Clinton McDonald

But honestly it doesn't matter... because even without those guys plus the Harvin mess...

Seahawks are 11-4 and currently #1 seed in the NFL. They are sittin pretty.

And if anything comes from this fiasco, its really simple...

Work hard, buy in, play hard, be consistent = gateway to opportunties

Be selfish, be lazy, be viotile, and don't comitt = you won't be on this team that long

Harvin's addition was the memo to the rest of the league that the Seahawks had arrived as a Championship contender.

Harvin's departure was a memo to the team that behaivor doesn't pull weight unless you leave it all out on the field.

Harvey = mostly horrible but still you can find positives from it and I don't think it was the worst trade in franchise history or move ( remember the Hutch fumble?)

Whitehurst trade is still the worst. Only because he never did anything to justify the pick compensation (3rd rounder) or contract (2 yrs, 10 million). And just like that he was back in San Diego.

At least Harvin was at one point getting MVP consideration and was considered the most dynamic player in the league.