Love how Packers fans declare...

PackerBacker19

Reaction score
PackerNation":2scboarp said:
sutz":2scboarp said:
that 'they're not the same team' we beat in September.

News flash: Neither are the Seahawks. We're better than we were then. ;)

You will be without Percy Harvin this time around and a gimpy Maxwell. Will Unger be playing? Not sure Harvin matters all that much as the Seattle offense will be as good as Lynch and Wilson. But Harvin torched us last time and he is no longer on the team.

We are going to have a QB that can't run and that could be huge. We also had a defense in week 1 that had a few issues and have (hopefully) been rectified. Namely, Guion is healthy now ( he missed the offseason and training camp with hamstring injury) and Brad Jones is no longer starting at ILB. Nor is AJ Hawk. Our OL will no longer have D. Sherrod in at RT and we have a legit 3rd WR now. We didn't have one earlier in the year when we met.

I think the real X factor will be if Green Bay can stop Wilson from racking up huge yards with his feet. Can they stop Wilson when it's 3rd and 5? Wilson is the most dangerous weapon you have. I would keep him on the roster before anyone else. Anyone, including anyone on your defense.

I've been following the Hawks every week this year, and watching them close. I was hoping they would miss the playoffs because I was afraid........that this would happen, though I'm almost looking forward to it, because I think it's great seeing these two teams play. I almost wonder if this game could be more competitive than the super bowl if Seattle wins. It strikes me that getting rid of Percy was a huge plus for them. It took away a bad locker room guy, and refocused them on their offensive identity(pounding the ball down peoples throats, and I mean that to take nothing away from Wilson, because he's becoming one of the best).

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
sutz":247gd1iv said:
Update on the news flash to Packer fans: We got better after we dumped....er....traded Percy Harvin away. ;)

...and late edit: When Percy was here, we weren't playing Seahawks football. We have re-claimed our identity since, and have re-established our dominance. :)

If anything, Packer fans should be ashamed of their defense being literally the ONLY team the Hawks played this year with Percy that couldn't stop him.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
PackerNation":2awlmzzx said:
The word on cornerback Byron Maxwell is less positive. Maxwell had trouble breathing during the game, forcing the Seahawks to turn to Tharold Simon, and Carroll said it’s too early to say if he’ll be well enough to play against the Packers.

“He was real sick,” Carroll said. “He’s had a history of some chest stuff. He’s had pneumonia before and all that. So he was uncomfortable and he couldn’t catch his breath in normal fashion. He could play a play, but he didn’t know if he could play a sequence. Hopefully, we’ll get him back next week.”
Where'd you get that quote from? And when was it said?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
PackerBacker19":30zv3pd1 said:
PackerNation":30zv3pd1 said:
sutz":30zv3pd1 said:

You will be without Percy Harvin this time around and a gimpy Maxwell. Will Unger be playing? Not sure Harvin matters all that much as the Seattle offense will be as good as Lynch and Wilson. But Harvin torched us last time and he is no longer on the team.

We are going to have a QB that can't run and that could be huge. We also had a defense in week 1 that had a few issues and have (hopefully) been rectified. Namely, Guion is healthy now ( he missed the offseason and training camp with hamstring injury) and Brad Jones is no longer starting at ILB. Nor is AJ Hawk. Our OL will no longer have D. Sherrod in at RT and we have a legit 3rd WR now. We didn't have one earlier in the year when we met.

I think the real X factor will be if Green Bay can stop Wilson from racking up huge yards with his feet. Can they stop Wilson when it's 3rd and 5? Wilson is the most dangerous weapon you have. I would keep him on the roster before anyone else. Anyone, including anyone on your defense.

I've been following the Hawks every week this year, and watching them close. I was hoping they would miss the playoffs because I was afraid........that this would happen, though I'm almost looking forward to it, because I think it's great seeing these two teams play. I almost wonder if this game could be more competitive than the super bowl if Seattle wins. It strikes me that getting rid of Percy was a huge plus for them. It took away a bad locker room guy, and refocused them on their offensive identity(pounding the ball down peoples throats, and I mean that to take nothing away from Wilson, because he's becoming one of the best).

its a good observation about Percy. while he was a big factor in some of our games, his desire to have everything go through him also was a negative.

so while the Week one game may be a reflection of his positives, this team is better offensively without him.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
The Packers are a good football team, they have been for years and continue to be today. Even with a gimped Rodgers they will have some level of success on offense . What they have done recently is similar to what good teams do after going through a period of mediocrity, they improved and didn't go in the tank.

But this is nothing new to us, we have heard it all before and the Hawks will be prepared for it. The Panthers, the Niners and the Saints all claimed the same thing. Heck, even Packer fans made that claim in week 1. The common piece to each one of those is that they all lost to the Hawks in both the regular season and the postseason.

I don't see it making a big difference come Sunday. They act like we don't know them when in fact we have paid very close attention to them when possible.

Different team? OK. So enjoy the game.

kidhawk

Reaction score
sutz":1bfa6orq said:

I can't really blame them. They had a really good season, and they are in the NFC Championship game. If it were the Seahawks as a TD underdog going into Lambeau, I'd be looking for anything that gives me the ability to believe my team can win the game. I'd actually be more concerned about a fan who can't muster any faith in their team going into a championship game like this no matter what the odds.

PackerNation

Reaction score
PackerBacker19":27lvzg1s said:

Yes, Wilson is becoming one of the best. He has an arm and can move very well but he is also smart. Combine that with a smash mouth run game and it makes them very potent. With that said, I am glad Percy did not work out and they dumped him. I saw enough of him when he was on the Vikings.

This time around, we don't have to worry about Sherrod, Brad Jones starting (and giving up 2 costly penalties) and we have a legit 3rd WR. I hope we bring it on Sunday.

Despite what Hawk fans are saying, I think their defense started out the year very well. They were pumped after that SB win and pumped to start a new title defense. After they won, the next week seemed anti-climatic, in a way. Just in my view, but it appeared that way to me.

Largent80":27lvzg1s said:
Hitler has it down......

Well, that is a first. Someone actually mentions Adolph Hitler in Packer thread...... :roll:

E.Lacy27

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1z6f50pb said:
PackerNation":1z6f50pb said:
sutz":1z6f50pb said:

Gimpy Maxwell? He had an illness last week, not injury. He's good to go. Unger is good to go.

Your main problem will be on Defense. Dom Capers is the single most overrated coordinator this side of Rob Ryan. He's a goddamn thief - he's literally stealing every time he cashes his paycheck. The Packers have no shot at winning this game on Sunday, not because of their offense - which is very good, with an MVP QB and several excellent weapons - but solely because your defense sucks dog balls and your DC is one of the worst in the entire league. Your offense might give you a shot, but your defense immediately removes any hope you have of the Packers going to the superbowl.

Can you back up that the "defense sucks dog balls?"

We ended up in the middle of the league in rankings and played much better than that the last half of the season. In fact, they defense was solid in all but three games.

They even had a much better performance vs. Dallas than the Seahawks did.

If you're going to make a claim like that, you should at least attempt to back it up.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2u95uy41 said:
E.Lacy27":2u95uy41 said:
peachesenregalia":2u95uy41 said:
PackerNation":2u95uy41 said:

Gimpy Maxwell? He had an illness last week, not injury. He's good to go. Unger is good to go.

Your main problem will be on Defense. Dom Capers is the single most overrated coordinator this side of Rob Ryan. He's a goddamn thief - he's literally stealing every time he cashes his paycheck. The Packers have no shot at winning this game on Sunday, not because of their offense - which is very good, with an MVP QB and several excellent weapons - but solely because your defense sucks dog balls and your DC is one of the worst in the entire league. Your offense might give you a shot, but your defense immediately removes any hope you have of the Packers going to the superbowl.

We ended up in the middle of the league in rankings and played much better than that the last half of the season. In fact, they defense was solid in all but three games.

If you're going to make a claim like that, you should at least attempt to back it up.

Middle of the league = pure shite. They give up around 80 yards more PG than the Seahawks, and gave up about 100 more points over the course of the season. Capers is garbage. Soft, weak-ass garbage defense that will once again be exposed. Did you watch the ATL game? Wasn't that part of the 'last half of the season'?

On yer bike, son.

but...but... they ranked 6th in rushing D since week 9

without acknowledging 4 of those 6 opponents finished the final 10 of all NFL teams in rushing. the other two in the teens.

im grabbing onto peaches scarf more and more this week.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
E.Lacy27":1puzff79 said:
peachesenregalia":1puzff79 said:
PackerNation":1puzff79 said:
sutz":1puzff79 said:

If not for Dez reaching for the goal line and a packer getting a couple fingers on a ball held by Murray, you are complaining about your DC in a thread about losing to the 'Boys. I thought you made some nice plays in pass D, but the run D was less than inspiring vs the Cowboys. Lets not pretend that with missed field goals an the two cited plays, you don't need 35 plus to win that game.

As for how Seattle played vs the Cowboys, the entire premise of this thread is that both teams have changed since the early part of the year. For Seattle, that would include the Dallas game, where no Wagner and a hurt Chancellor really made a mess of things, not to mention a petulant pouting Harvin. As has been mentioned, you have had some defensive changes too, but last week I thought Dallas did a great job of running on your line, until the cited fumble.

Personally, I think our DT situation is vulnerable to the Packers, but I question the Pack's determination to wear us out at that spot with consistent run calls. TO be honest, I fear your 2nd RB more than Lacy, he always has a good run or two vs us with limited carries.

PakAttack86

Reaction score

Let's look at some statistics shall we? I want to dissect the conclusion you're coming to when asserting that Green Bay has a terrible defense. Overall defense is ranked 15th in the league in terms of total yards allowed both passing and rushing, and since there are 32 teams in the league, correct me if I'm wrong, but this would put us around average. Not fantastic, not terrible, but average.

Let's move on to where defensive stats really shine in the playoffs; turnovers and defensive stops. Green Bay was ranked 9th in the NFL in sacks, where Seattle was only ranked 20th. Check mark Green Bay. Green Bay was ranked 7th in interceptions, Seattle was ranked 18th. Check mark Green Bay. Green Bay was ranked FIRST in turnover differential with a +14 margin, while Seattle was ranked 4th with a +9. Check mark Green Bay.

People forget that it's the opportunistic defense with the turnovers that wins championships, not the defense that allows the least amount of yards. So I'll go ahead and wait for your retort and explanation on these facts. Defenses that lead the league in turnovers are certainly not terrible.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
#1 in defense vs. #15

check mark

Green Bay's defense isnt terrible. its terribly average.

Its the defense that allows the least amount of scoring (Seahawks, check) that win....

bigtrain21

Reaction score
PakAttack86":3l4x4iv1 said:

Let's look at some statistics shall we? I want to dissect the conclusion you're coming to when asserting that Green Bay has a terrible defense. Overall defense is ranked 15th in the league in terms of total yards allowed both passing and rushing, and since there are 32 teams in the league, correct me if I'm wrong, but this would put us around average. Not fantastic, not terrible, but average.

Let's move on to where defensive stats really shine in the playoffs; turnovers and defensive stops. Green Bay was ranked 9th in the NFL in sacks, where Seattle was only ranked 20th. Check mark Green Bay. Green Bay was ranked 7th in interceptions, Seattle was ranked 18th. Check mark Green Bay. Green Bay was ranked FIRST in turnover differential with a +14 margin, while Seattle was ranked 4th with a +9. Check mark Green Bay.

People forget that it's the opportunistic defense with the turnovers that wins championships, not the defense that allows the least amount of yards. So I'll go ahead and wait for your retort and explanation on these facts. Defenses that lead the league in turnovers are certainly not terrible.

From week 12 on the Seahawks gave up a grand total of 39 points in 6 games. The Packers gave up 30 in the second half of week 14. Think about that for a second.

rideaducati

Reaction score
PackerBacker19":f4bnqwan said:
sutz":f4bnqwan said:

We realize that. I do think we've improved more than you guys this season from the beginning. At the beginning our run D was last, and we weren't running the ball well or protecting the qb. Don't get me wrong. I realize that the Hawks have improved, and I believe they will win, but our improvement was massive. We were 1-2, and scored 7 points against the Lions, and the only thing that kept us from 0-3 was a 18 point comeback vs. the Jets at home.

So, the Packers play against good running teams and they're one of the worst against the run and then they play a bunch of softer non running teams and they climb in the rankings until they play good running teams again. Good to know.

Seattle can and will run the ball against the Packers and prove again how good (meaning bad) the Packers are against the run. When the Jets can jump to an 18 point lead without passing the ball, your run D isn't good because the Jets can't pass so they knew the run was coming and still couldn't stop it.

Seattle can beat the Packers in many ways offensively. The Packers are one dimensional offensively and that one dimension plays right into the strength of Seattle's defense.

I don't see a single match up that favors the Packers so I expect a Seahawks win by at least two scores.

E.Lacy27

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1j5ihum3 said:
E.Lacy27":1j5ihum3 said:
PackerNation":1j5ihum3 said:
sutz":1j5ihum3 said:

If not for Dez reaching for the goal line and a packer getting a couple fingers on a ball held by Murray, you are complaining about your DC in a thread about losing to the 'Boys. I thought you made some nice plays in pass D, but the run D was less than inspiring vs the Cowboys. Lets not pretend that with missed field goals an the two cited plays, you don't need 35 plus to win that game.

As for how Seattle played vs the Cowboys, the entire premise of this thread is that both teams have changed since the early part of the year. For Seattle, that would include the Dallas game, where no Wagner and a hurt Chancellor really made a mess of things, not to mention a petulant pouting Harvin. As has been mentioned, you have had some defensive changes too, but last week I thought Dallas did a great job of running on your line, until the cited fumble.

Personally, I think our DT situation is vulnerable to the Packers, but I question the Pack's determination to wear us out at that spot with consistent run calls. TO be honest, I fear your 2nd RB more than Lacy, he always has a good run or two vs us with limited carries.

You're looking at one game in which the defense was good and using it to say the defense is bad because other things could have happened. Using one game against a very good offense and hypotheticals in no way justifies a defense that sucks dog balls.

PakAttack86

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":bkjq9l0s said:
PakAttack86":bkjq9l0s said:

Yeah, you're right. that stat really worked well for Chicago all those years, eh?

Nice try, sweetie, but your weak-ass argument using selective stats holds no water. Looking at actual meaningful stats has you Packers as the #16 defense by DVOA, and even lower than that by weighted DVOA. Middle of the road, shitty, soft-ass defense. Seattle's is a WHOPPING 17.5% ahead of GB's by weighted DVOA. that's not even in the same area code.

XOXO,

Ted Turner's teeth.

It's absolutely precious that you are that naive to suggest the most heavily analyzed and talked about defensive stat, turnover differential, to you has no serviceable meaning in the NFL. You also substantially lose all credibility by comparing Green Bay who has had tremendous success over the last decade versus a downright terrible Chicago Bears team who has had nothing to show for their defensive talent in the same time frame with the exception of one super bowl appearance that they lost in.

The fact of the matter is everyone except for you (delusions of grandeur are all too common with fan bases and teams who have found recent success) knows that this Green Bay team is not going to roll over for Seattle. It's going to be a close game, with a margin of victory no greater than 3 points for whoever comes out as the winner. I'll eagerly be looking forward to you whining about a bad call or two that "made this game closer than it should have been", and serve you a plate of crow if Green Bay does in fact pull off the upset.

E.Lacy27

Reaction score
rideaducati":1oq0nduw said:
PackerBacker19":1oq0nduw said:
sutz":1oq0nduw said:

We realize that. I do think we've improved more than you guys this season from the beginning. At the beginning our run D was last, and we weren't running the ball well or protecting the qb. Don't get me wrong. I realize that the Hawks have improved, and I believe they will win, but our improvement was massive. We were 1-2, and scored 7 points against the Lions, and the only thing that kept us from 0-3 was a 18 point comeback vs. the Jets at home.

So, the Packers play against good running teams and they're one of the worst against the run and then they play a bunch of softer non running teams and they climb in the rankings until they play good running teams again. Good to know.

Seattle can and will run the ball against the Packers and prove again how good (meaning bad) the Packers are against the run. When the Jets can jump to an 18 point lead without passing the ball, your run D isn't good because the Jets can't pass so they knew the run was coming and still couldn't stop it.

Seattle can beat the Packers in many ways offensively. The Packers are one dimensional offensively and that one dimension plays right into the strength of Seattle's defense.

I don't see a single match up that favors the Packers so I expect a Seahawks win by at least two scores.

Just have to address that the Packers are "one dimensional offensively" because that's just not true.

We know the Packers can pass. Also, the running game has been good. Lacy averaged 4.7 yards a carry or more 7 of the last 8 games of the reason. As a team the Packers put up about 150 yard rushing vs. a better run defense than Seattle in Detroit. Detroit averages about 70 yards a game and the Packers than doubled that.

You a strong misconception, probably based on previous seasons, that the Packers are one dimensional on offense.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
PakAttack86":3l9wgifh said:
peachesenregalia":3l9wgifh said:
PakAttack86":3l9wgifh said:

Yeah, you're right. that stat really worked well for Chicago all those years, eh?

Nice try, sweetie, but your weak-ass argument using selective stats holds no water. Looking at actual meaningful stats has you Packers as the #16 defense by DVOA, and even lower than that by weighted DVOA. Middle of the road, shitty, soft-ass defense. Seattle's is a WHOPPING 17.5% ahead of GB's by weighted DVOA. that's not even in the same area code.

XOXO,

Ted Turner's teeth.

It's absolutely precious that you are that naive to suggest the most heavily analyzed and talked about defensive stat, turnover differential, to you has no serviceable meaning in the NFL. You also substantially lose all credibility by comparing Green Bay who has had tremendous success over the last decade versus a downright terrible Chicago Bears team who has had nothing to show for their defensive talent in the same time frame with the exception of one super bowl appearance that they lost in.

The fact of the matter is everyone except for you (delusions of grandeur are all too common with fan bases and teams who have found recent success) knows that this Green Bay team is not going to roll over for Seattle. It's going to be a close game, with a margin of victory no greater than 3 points for whoever comes out as the winner. I'll eagerly be looking forward to you whining about a bad call or two that "made this game closer than it should have been", and serve you a plate of crow if Green Bay does in fact pull off the upset.

turnover differential is the most heavily analyzed and talked about defensive stat? prove that..

you were giving statistical analysis above. you're ignoring it, as other Pack fans have in numerous other threads. this isnt a "lets talk stats, but only these stats" thread. there are some bright football people on here, and one just provided a refute of your post.

and if "everyone" knew that Green Bay is not going to roll over to Seattle, then the line wouldnt be a touchdown.

i believe the game will be close. but quit whimpering because some fans statistically see the game as a mismatch.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
E.Lacy27":qql0kaqn said:
You're looking at one game in which the defense was good and using it to say the defense is bad because other things could have happened. Using one game against a very good offense and hypotheticals in no way justifies a defense that sucks dog balls.
Well, I never said it sucked dog balls. I think it is an opportunistic, but average in most other ways type defense with a couple of good pass rushers. Dangerous at home with a good get off, but not so much on the road. I think it lacks team speed at all but a couple of positions when compared to our D, and misses more tackles. I think Dom Capers would be better suited to control offenses a bit more and guess what they are going to do a bit less.

I don't think the defense last week was good at all, I think it was lucky. Dallas averaged 5.2 yards per run, that is pretty damn bad. Romo averaged over 10 yards per attempt, that is terrible too. Dallas couldn't turn those easy yards into points, to tip of the cap to the Packers for rising up to make stops a few times and limiting the total number of plays the Boys got, but on a per play basis, getting yards was not a problem for the Cowboys.

They were also lucky not getting flagged for diving at Romo's knees once, and lucky not getting flagged for a late hit on his legs another time.