Major changes to Pro Bowl

rjdriver

Reaction score
ClumsyLurk":1gem96be said:
Couple more details from USAToday
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... t/2604163/

— Every quarter will end with a two-minute warning and change of possession to promote more quick-strike drives (teams will not be allowed to sit on the ball since the clock will stop on any play that doesn't gain positive yardage inside two minutes)

— Kick returners will be replaced by an extra defensive back on each 43-man roster

— Cover 2 and press coverage will now be allowed; only man-to-man coverage was allowed in the past, goal-line situations notwithstanding

Not a good day if you're a kick returner with a pro bowl escalator clause in your contract ;)

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
rjdriver":2buvatvv said:
ClumsyLurk":2buvatvv said:
Couple more details from USAToday
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... t/2604163/

— Every quarter will end with a two-minute warning and change of possession to promote more quick-strike drives (teams will not be allowed to sit on the ball since the clock will stop on any play that doesn't gain positive yardage inside two minutes)

— Kick returners will be replaced by an extra defensive back on each 43-man roster

— Cover 2 and press coverage will now be allowed; only man-to-man coverage was allowed in the past, goal-line situations notwithstanding

Not a good day if you're a kick returner with a pro bowl escalator clause in your contract ;)
Devin Hester

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Johnny":3c8t3pyd said:
This game (pro bowl) has just lost all meaning..... SMH!

Oh, come on. EVERYONE had already agreed that had already happened years ago. We don't know what the new format will really look like, so anyone saying it's automatically worse is just whining.

Give me a break, people, and let's wait and see what actually takes place this year, shall we?

Johnny

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1zyh4ohb said:
Johnny":1zyh4ohb said:
This game (pro bowl) has just lost all meaning..... SMH!

Oh, come on. EVERYONE had already agreed that had already happened years ago. We don't know what the new format will really look like, so anyone saying it's automatically worse is just whining.

Give me a break, people, and let's wait and see what actually takes place this year, shall we?

It was perfectly fine the way it was before Goodell started to mess with it... and I don't see it as whining. I hate the thought of turning this game into a fantasy style format., I mean if there is no kickoffs that means there will be no kickers selected for this game and also no kick returners as well. and as I recall Special Teams is 1/3 of the game.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Perfectly fine? The Pro Bowl was a borefest for years. Only last year, after Goodell threatened to take it away altogether, did the players actually start trying again. :roll:

The kick return thing is lame, though; I agree with that.

Cartire

Reaction score
And i thought that last years bowl was better because the players finally stepped it up.

All of these "fixes" were never the reason for the problems.

Player intensity level was always the biggest factor. And its sorta a lose/lose. Players are not going to go full speed when an injury can be a career ender.

Instead of all these changes, they should have made each winner get 150,000 and each loser only get 15,000.

Watch people try then.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I quit going to the Pro-bowl years ago but have to say these arbitrary changes are beyond ridiculous. Are they out of the frikin minds with this stuff? When I first read the changes (inclusive of Rice and Sanders' roles...WTF?) ...I thought the piece was written by the Onion.

Right when it looked like the players were re-committed to playing the game with a bit of passion, this happens. There was a lot of talk about eliminating the game, but fans and players made that difficult. I have to think this is the next step to eliminating the game. It will for me.