Master Chief Musings

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
From section 329 last night, here are some of my scribbles as I watched the game...

-- Tyler Lockett. WOW. I was stoked we drafted him. We desperately missed field altering special teams plays last season and it is great to have a threat. But where was he in the passing game? I wanted to see more of him on offense. Maybe they want to keep him a surprise....

-- We all saw the pass blocking sucked. I am choosing to be patient with it, considering who we had out there most of the night and it looked to me like we had very simplistic protection schemes and our guys were just not assignment sound. I am reminded again how fortunate we are to have Houdini at QB as anyone other than Wilson would have been killed last season.

-- Jimmy Staten made quite a few plays. Haven't heard much about him at all since we drafted him in 2014. I like D linemen that get their paws up in the air to deflect passes. He almost deflected one right to Quayshawn Nealy.

-- Do we really have Jimmy frigging Graham? He is going to be fun to watch.

-- I see why they like Cassius Clay Marsh. He has a motor, for sure. He does tend to get pushed aside quite a bit, not unlike Bruce Irvin in his first few seasons.

-- Did we look really slow to anyone else, at least in the first half? It seemed like we had ankle weights on or something, other than Lockett. Even my wife mentioned it... I don't know, maybe it just looked that way from the top of the stadium.

-- Brock Osweiler, dink and dunk champion! We get it, Osweiler, you can dump the ball off or throw short controlled passes.

-- I boldly announced when #6 trotted in that "here arrives the RJ Archer era". I then quickly said "maybe they can bring BJ Daniels in for old times sake".... Archer has accuracy issues, but he does stand tall in the pocket.

-- I have heard a lot about former Husky WR Kasen Williams since camp started. I haven't heard much about the other former Husky rookie WR, Kevin Smith. But it was Smith who flashed last night. I can't recall, but did Williams get one pass thrown his way?

-- Frank Clark. Damn. He was all over the field last night, including in the 4th quarter. Greatly impressed.

-- I don't see how Kevin Norwood makes the final 53. He was out there a lot last night and was a total non factor. I won't be shocked to see us initially go with 5 WRs (Baldwin, Kearse, Lockett, Matthews and Lockette) with Richarson on PUP to start the season. I liked Norwood a lot in college and was happy we drafted him, but it doesn't look like he is a great fit in our system.

-- Thomas Rawls has good one-cut quickness and awareness. Rod Smith looked good as well but it was in garbage time. He has good hands. He is a big guy for a back (6'3" 230).

-- Great to see Jesse Williams on the field. He has had a rough last few years. Just to see him playing is a great feel good story. It's a long shot he makes the team.

-- It was also great to see Anthony McCoy back on the field. Well, at least until the game started... Wow did he look bad. It's been a few years of injury non-action for him as well so maybe he was just nervous or rusty.

-- Alvin Bailey was a turnstile on Wilsons good run in the 1st Quarter. He also looks like he needs to improve his conditioning. He was huffing and puffing all night.

-- T.Y. McGill (#70, DT) seemed to make a lot of plays.

-- At one point midway through the 4th quarter we had 105 TOTAL yards. Seriously. Thanks to Lockett, we stayed in the game.

-- Christine Michael doesn't make this roster. That is still one of the most perplexing draft choices of the Pete and John era. Yes, he has the talent -- but he never had a chance to have a meaningful impact buried behind Beast and Turbo.

-- Again, maybe just me.... But the team felt flat. I expected a lot more energy and spark.

-- Not a lot of I formations last night. Mostly single back, it seemed.

-- Rookie CB Tye Smith has promise.

-- There probably isn't a worse Week 1 match-up for us than on the road at 10 am Pacific in St. Louis against the Rams defensive line, especially with a work in progress offensive line. There probably isn't a worse Week 2 match-up than on the road in Green Bay against that offense. They are going to have their hands full to not start 0-2.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Good write-up overall. Lots of good points and analysis. A few points I noticed enough myself to comment on further.

FlyingGreg":8mmxqwwi said:
-- Tyler Lockett. WOW. I was stoked we drafted him. We desperately missed field altering special teams plays last season and it is great to have a threat. But where was he in the passing game? I wanted to see more of him on offense. Maybe they want to keep him a surprise....

Stellar, stellar moves in the return game. I want to see more of him as a WR, but I think they may be trying to ease him in a bit just as they have all the other receivers over the years. I think he might excel there too, once given the opportunity to shine.

-- Did we look really slow to anyone else, at least in the first half? It seemed like we had ankle weights on or something, other than Lockett. Even my wife mentioned it... I don't know, maybe it just looked that way from the top of the stadium.

Seemed a bit that way to me too. Like we had a bunch of second stringers against first stringers. Might have, too. Seems I recall the Broncos' cheerlead... uh, announcers saying something mid-third quarter to the effect that the starters had played really well and it was time to see about the backups.

-- Brock Osweiler, dink and dunk champion! We get it, Osweiler, you can dump the ball off or throw short controlled passes.

I noticed the dink and dunk all game; it was just more obvious with him. Thought myself it was really more of an indication that Sherman and Thomas were noticeably missing rather than an indictment on some of the other guys.

-- Frank Clark. Damn. He was all over the field last night, including in the 4th quarter. Greatly impressed.

Me too! Can't say I've heard anyone anywhere that wasn't impressed with his performance.

-- At one point midway through the 4th quarter we had 105 TOTAL yards. Seriously. Thanks to Lockett, we stayed in the game.

We ended up with 181 yards total on offense. We had 236 yards in punt and kick returns. That was the only reason the game was close.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":5hvvipk9 said:
From section 329 last night, here are some of my scribbles as I watched the game...

-- We all saw the pass blocking sucked. I am choosing to be patient with it, considering who we had out there most of the night and it looked to me like we had very simplistic protection schemes and our guys were just not assignment sound. I am reminded again how fortunate we are to have Houdini at QB as anyone other than Wilson would have been killed last season.

-- Jimmy Staten made quite a few plays. Haven't heard much about him at all since we drafted him in 2014. I like D linemen that get their paws up in the air to deflect passes. He almost deflected one right to Quayshawn Nealy.

-- Do we really have Jimmy frigging Graham? He is going to be fun to watch.

-- I see why they like Cassius Clay Marsh. He has a motor, for sure. He does tend to get pushed aside quite a bit, not unlike Bruce Irvin in his first few seasons.

-- I boldly announced when #6 trotted in that "here arrives the RJ Archer era". I then quickly said "maybe they can bring BJ Daniels in for old times sake".... Archer has accuracy issues, but he does stand tall in the pocket.

-- I have heard a lot about former Husky WR Kasen Williams since camp started. I haven't heard much about the other former Husky rookie WR, Kevin Smith. But it was Smith who flashed last night. I can't recall, but did Williams get one pass thrown his way?

-- I don't see how Kevin Norwood makes the final 53. He was out there a lot last night and was a total non factor. I won't be shocked to see us initially go with 5 WRs (Baldwin, Kearse, Lockett, Matthews and Lockette) with Richarson on PUP to start the season. I liked Norwood a lot in college and was happy we drafted him, but it doesn't look like he is a great fit in our system.

-- Thomas Rawls has good one-cut quickness and awareness. Rod Smith looked good as well but it was in garbage time. He has good hands. He is a big guy for a back (6'3" 230).

-- Great to see Jesse Williams on the field. He has had a rough last few years. Just to see him playing is a great feel good story. It's a long shot he makes the team.

-- It was also great to see Anthony McCoy back on the field. Well, at least until the game started... Wow did he look bad. It's been a few years of injury non-action for him as well so maybe he was just nervous or rusty.

-- Alvin Bailey was a turnstile on Wilsons good run in the 1st Quarter. He also looks like he needs to improve his conditioning. He was huffing and puffing all night.

-- T.Y. McGill (#70, DT) seemed to make a lot of plays.

-- Christine Michael doesn't make this roster. That is still one of the most perplexing draft choices of the Pete and John era. Yes, he has the talent -- but he never had a chance to have a meaningful impact buried behind Beast and Turbo.

-- Again, maybe just me.... But the team felt flat. I expected a lot more energy and spark.

-- Not a lot of I formations last night. Mostly single back, it seemed.

-- Rookie CB Tye Smith has promise.

-- There probably isn't a worse Week 1 match-up for us than on the road at 10 am Pacific in St. Louis against the Rams defensive line, especially with a work in progress offensive line. There probably isn't a worse Week 2 match-up than on the road in Green Bay against that offense. They are going to have their hands full to not start 0-2.
Great stuff Master Chief, it's nice reading you again!

Hopefully we can trade Christine during the preseason, he still flashes enough "potential" for a team in need to give him a go.

Not ready to give up on McCoy yet, but he can't afford another performance like this with the talent he's competing with.

Lockett, Clark, Rawls, Marsh and Archer all gave me reason to smile last night, even in light of all the obvious work we still have to do. I was overall pleased, Shirley can't believe we lost the game as good as my mood is!

morgulon1

Reaction score
Nice OP....

One of the things I noticed was how everyone was upset and ready to take McNeill III and shoot him in
the head for the hands to the face penalty. He has been a cb for TEN DAYS!! I personally like his style
as it reminds me of #39 from a couple of years ago. He also has freakishly long arms . He'll get better.

I had a truly "Random thought" though ( sorry), why not try #5 at slot corner? He isn't as tall but he is quick as hell
and seems to play with an aggressiveness that you cant teach.

Agree on McCoy, he needs to go but I haven't given up on C Michael though. I wonder what PC/JS think.
You know, the ones who actually count.

Lastly, I could've sworn that these head coaches get together and make a gentleman's agreement regarding
what they're going to do regarding sending the house. I thought teams kept things vanilla for the most part
for the sake of it being an exhibition game and all. I swear Denver blitzed almost every down as on the flip
side we kept it simple.

Think they were thinking of the Meadowlands two years ago?