McQuistan

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
He has a $3M salary. I'm not saying he's gone but it will be interesting to see if something happens here.

To me it depends on how the team feels about Carp's recovery and whether or not the young guards could step up if needed. McQuistan is definitely a nice insurance policy to have, but an expensive one.

This is different than CB where there are 5 younger guys we know can play. Winfield was an expensive luxury.

McQuistan is even more expensive, but he may not be a luxury.

Cartire

Reaction score
Wont happen regardless. Not enough depth on the line to get rid of Paul.

BillHawks

Reaction score
I think it would be a really risky move. His value (to me at least) comes from his ability to play multiple positions. He's definitely a target with that salary but I would understand this move less than the Robinson one.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
There wasn't much depth at FB behind MRob and they released him. This move isn't out of the question and to pay $3M to a backup OL when you have solid young guys like Johnson, Bailey, and Bowie (who are cheaper). It is very likely to happen (IMO).

drdiags

Reaction score
Nothing would surprise me at this point. I figured Falwell, McQ and Breno coming into TC could be in trouble. I didn't want to think MRob was but in hindsight the cap implication was out there for all to see.

I think the team may try to re-negotiate but Carp is more of a risk than Thurmond. It will all be known soon enough but I will keep the thought in mind.

Cartire

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1jlxmcyc said:
There wasn't much depth at FB behind MRob and they released him. This move isn't out of the question and to pay $3M to a backup OL when you have solid young guys like Johnson, Bailey, and Bowie (who are cheaper). It is very likely to happen (IMO).

Everyone keeps calling him a backup OLman. But from every game I have watched, he seems to always be the starter. So maybe until we are sure we have a different starter, do we start referring to him as a backup.

Jville

Reaction score
hawkfan68":mhndnetu said:
Johnson, Bailey, and Bowie may be interesting development projects ..... but at the moment, they are far from solid IMO.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Cartire":17x7pn4s said:
Everyone keeps calling him a backup OLman. But from every game I have watched, he seems to always be the starter. So maybe until we are sure we have a different starter, do we start referring to him as a backup.

That's the heart of the issue. If the team believes Carpenter is healthy and ready to start, McQuistan is an expensive backup. We'll know the answer later today.

Jville

Reaction score
Carpenter looks like he is going to need to play his way up to speed ...... once again. I thought he looked slow verses Oakland. Does Carpenter have the quickness and lower body flexibility to remain healthy? For me Carpenter is the continuing question at left guard.

Retaining McQuistan is a need.

TaFeargOrm

Reaction score
From my understanding the FB (MRob) played in 30% of the snaps so even though depth is limited its different than a guard that is playing 100% of the offensive snaps if starting. Compound that with the need for 2 guards starting and enough depth to cover both spots.

Cartire

Reaction score
Even if Carp did become the LG we hope he can be, McQuinstan is still better then Sweezy at RG by a high margin. Why would we hamper our line just to give the kid more experience?

Jville

Reaction score
Because Sweezy is tough enough to remain in the lineup and improve as he plays. Year 2 as an offensive lineman.

Cartire

Reaction score
Jville":vq0i1ywa said:
Because Sweezy is tough enough to remain in the lineup and improve as he plays. Year 2 as an offensive lineman.

You dont remove a better olineman for an improvement player. The oline is the one group that has to have the best people possible who work solid together. Not projects.

If Paul stays at LG in lieu of Carp, then Sweezy is the best choice. Otherwise, you move Paul to RG over Sweezy. You dont keep potential on your line when you have a better option. This is not a rebuilding year.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Cartire":s6awjkr0 said:
Even if Carp did become the LG we hope he can be, McQuinstan is still better then Sweezy at RG by a high margin. Why would we hamper our line just to give the kid more experience?
McQuistan is more experienced in assignment and currently has a better feel in pass pro, but Sweezy is a MONSTER in the run game. Far better than McQuistan in that particular area.

That said, McQuistan will still be primary backup at 4 of the 5 OL spots if Carp starts ahead of him at some point. He's not going anywhere. McQ does everything well.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Jville":26z5ujpf said:
hawkfan68":26z5ujpf said:
Johnson, Bailey, and Bowie may be interesting development projects ..... but at the moment, they are far from solid IMO.

Plus, Bowie got hurt in the Raider game a d per Pete Carroll it could be a significant shoulder injury, so I think he ends up on IR, which thins out the OL depth a bit. That, plus Carpenter needing to get back into game shape, keeps McQ on the roster.

Jville

Reaction score
Sweezy doesn't need to see 100% of the snaps to continue to improve ... as evidenced by what happened in 2012. In any case, McQuistan is an on the field need for 2013.

keatonisballin

Reaction score
I think it was obvious in the Raiders game that our OL depth isn't very good. Maybe once Carp gets more playing time and gets back to 100%, but until then i think we keep McQ.