Mebane

Hyak

Reaction score
The pass rushers get the $$$. A 2 down run stuffing DT is going to have a limited market at this point. From a fan standpoint, I hope they work out a revised deal.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I think McDaniel gets understandably confused with Clinton McDonald, who did contribute at 1 tech for us (albeit more pass rush) and is now starting for the Bucs alongside Gerald McCoy.

Jordan Hill hasn't been mentioned but he's a part of the equation also. He supposedly is recovered from the partial tear enough to run already and should have an entire off-season to work on stuff entering the pivotal third year in his contract. Who's to say he can't earn more playing time than just interior pass rush in our nickel defense.

kearly

Reaction score
Mebane wouldn't get $5.5 million on the open market. But if Seattle released him, you'd probably have 4-5 teams around the league offering him $3 million. And he might choose one of them instead of us.

I am okay with Seattle paying that $2.5 million extra difference to avoid the risk of him walking. Williams (currently a free agent) saved our bacon last year by being a good 1 tech backup, but it's harder to count on him in 2015 given his age.

These guys aren't super easy to find in the draft either. Seattle needs to have a good plan B in place before they even think about approaching Mebane for a restructure.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kearly":wfdqutar said:
Mebane wouldn't get $5.5 million on the open market. But if Seattle released him, you'd probably have 4-5 teams around the league offering him $3 million. And he might choose one of them instead of us..

3M is probably what the Hawks are trying to get Mebane to re-do his deal for.

If a perfectly healthy younger Knighton only gets a one year deal from the Skins for 4M, ain't no way in hell Mebane and his camp can think he'll get any more than 3M on the open market.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Methane isn't a running back. Stout DT's are often effective well into their 30's. His salary isn't a bad value on it's own (5ish mil for a top 1-tech), it's just the team's current situation that makes it stand out.

He's a guy I want to retire as a Hawk. But it's not too likely.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
nanomoz":2nx4bu94 said:
Methane isn't a running back. Stout DT's are often effective well into their 30's. His salary isn't a bad value on it's own (5ish mil for a top 1-tech), it's just the team's current situation that makes it stand out.

If his market value coming off a serious injury is 2-3M, then 5M is a bad value.

Everyone loves Mebane, just like everyone loved Clem and Red........but unfortunately teams like the Hawks who are up against the cap HAVE to save value anywhere they can. The difference between just paying Mebane his 5M and forcing him to restructure to 3M is the cost of another solid veteran lineman.

endzorn

Reaction score
Clayton has been suggesting that Seattle will make Mebane take a pay cut or release for weeks now. Seems like dirty pool to release a guy as important to the locker room as mebane after free agency dries up. I'd love to see a first down combo of Mebane and Rubin. We'd have a ridiculously stout run defense and would set up our pass rushers for obvious passing situations.

ivotuk

Reaction score
endzorn":3glvv34s said:
I'd love to see a first down combo of Mebane and Rubin. We'd have a ridiculously stout run defense and would set up our pass rushers for obvious passing situations.

I love the thought of this.

I love Mebane and also want to see him retire as a Seahawk, but he knows, just like everyone else, it's a business. And the Mission Statement of every team in the NFL is to win Superbowls.

One thing players seem to forget is that there is only so much money in the player pool, and for Marshawn, Wagner and Wilson to get paid more, others need to take less. It's not John Schneider being the bad guy, he's only doing what he can with what he has been given. If you want more, talk Lynch in to taking less.

I don't want to see Brandon go, but if any player doesn't go along with John Schneider's goal to keep Superbowl talent on the team, I will like him less.

You have a ring Brandon, you have a lot of fan loyalty, and you have a good sized bank account. So what is your mission statement? To increase that bank account, or to help the team that drafted you win more Superbowls?

Seafan

Reaction score
Atlanta, Jax and the raiduhs would grab him in a minute and Jax & oak have money to waste so Bane makes what he wants.

The rumor was he was willing to take a pay cut a couple years ago but the Hawks didn't ask him. His agent knows he has leverage now or they'd already have this done. He's not just a two down NT. He puts pressure better than most DTs in the league. Finding DL has been the Hawks bane so they need to keep this Bane IMO.

Hendo66

Reaction score
Mebane is still very valuable to this team. Losing him would be a big mistake. I hope they can settle at 4m. Get it done.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
nanomoz":2e2w8y8z said:

nanomoz":2e2w8y8z said:

If that's the case. If the market for a 2 down Run Stuffer is 3-4m.. Why force a restructure or be cut ultimatum on him at all?

Why not just try to extend him? He probably has a good 3 years left before he hits a cliff.

Just give him a 4 yr deal for a restructure.

4 yrs, 12-14m. 3 to 3.5 apy. Give him a $3.2m SB. Or $800k per.

$1.3 base Sal guaranteed, another 1m in reachable incentives (like snap count, starts, and/or production) as a small guard against the gamble of future injury.

He makes between 4.5 to 5.5m this year. Counts 2.3-3.3 against the cap, relieving 2.4-3.4m for 2015. Technically, the 1m diff would roll over into 2016.

If it looks like he won't be the same player, you just cut yrea losses and just split his 2.4 dead cap into '16 (800k) and '17 (1.6k) which would have minimal affect on the cap.

And to make it worth it for Mebane if he's still a high performing player.

You get him on 3 year deal of 6.5m -8.5 of new money. I'm just gonna say 3 yrs 8.1m of New money + his 1 yr of 5.5m = 4yrs, 13.6 = 3.4 apy.

Keeping it basic that 8.1 works out to 2.7 apy.

His cap hits would be 3.5m per from '16-'18m.

You could work him on 950k bases gtd + 750k in roster/workout bonuses + 560k starter incentive (he gets for 35k per start) + another 440k in reachable if healthy performance based incentives.

It protects the team if he's not performing or is marginalized into a backup but also gives him 1.7 in guaranteed money per year and pays more if he starts and still is playing strong.

He'd cost between 1.7-2.7m per + 800k cap hits.

So basically either low cost starter money or high cost back up based on availability and performance.

Seahawks can realistically just cut him after 2015 and really not suffer from it. They don't necessary save any money by extending him if they plan to cut him in 2016.

Its just his 2015 salary of 5.5m his spread across 3 years... 3.1m, 800k, 1.6m.

So it works for both sides if they wanted to free up about 2.4m of cap space for 2015. That could be a 12m SB you'd give to Bobby Wagner this year on a 4yr extension.

McGruff

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":26x6zkpm said:
Why not just try to extend him? He probably has a good 3 years left before he hits a cliff.

They are probably concerned about his injury and whether it will develop into a chronic issue. Its hard to extend and give guaranteed money to an older player coming off a major injury.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Schneider anticipates Mebane being back with Hawks in 2015.

This was from a string of tweets recapping a JS interview:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/580116971640881152[/tweet]

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Oh the horrors of it all! Asking someone to take a cut in their $5.5 million a year salary!! I mean...if there were ever a reason to be offended that would be it right there! :roll: :sarcasm_off:

kobebryant

Reaction score
He's worth it, he's earned it, he's honored every contact he's ever signed with the Hawks. Signatures were put to paper, handshakes were exchanged. Mebane is such a stud.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":22sk4bem said:
Oh the horrors of it all! Asking someone to take a cut in their $5.5 million a year salary!! I mean...if there were ever a reason to be offended that would be it right there! :roll: :sarcasm_off:

I just had a thought. We as fans get mad at players when they want to renegotiate for more money. We say " Hey you
signed a contract!! Honor it ,shut up and play!" Yet the tables turn and the team all of a sudden wants a player to take
less than they signed for. I can see where a player might not want to give the money they sweat and bled for back.

Especially when they know it's so it can go to another player. These guys only have so many years in the league.