Michael Bennett Fined (also the NFL is a joke)

scutterhawk

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":j9qq9oy7 said:
Bennett's penalty may be "dumb," but its par for the course. Goal #1 on a change of possession is obviously advancing the ball as far as possible, goal #1A is blowing up the QB. I'll take an unnecessary roughness if it sufficiently rattles the QB. Maybe I'm just a neanderthal.
First hit, fine & dandy, second hit though?, all he did is kill an extremely good run back by Earl Thomas for great field position (maybe 4 more >Game Winning< points)
But even that isn't the end of making a stupid play like that, because all he really succeeded in doing, was make the Officials throw the yellow flag on the field, and raise red flags in the minds of the Referees for the rest of the game.
God knows that they don't need to divert their attention away from calling a fair game, but it's plays like that, that does exactly that.

irocdave

Reaction score
That rule is in place for a good reason. Every NFL player knows the rule and MB wasn't concerned about "team" when he hit him the 2nd, 3rd and 4th time. It was stupid and he should be fined for it. For our younger members that haven't been watching football for decades, here are a couple of plays that were the impetus for this rule. And it isn't just QB's that are protected by this rule, just FYI for the younger crowd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBpEIRaGq2U

For the youngsters that bitch about protecting the QB...watch this video of the end of Jim McMahons career.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr7UcrLLybo

The rules are in place for a good frigging reason.

irocdave

Reaction score
The younger crowd wants to call the NFL the WWE, but they never saw the stuff that used to take place before the QB protection rules were installed. Taking cheap shots just because possession changed is a good rule and MB should have been suspended. He is lucky he wasn't, if he would have been more aggressive In the 2nd - 4th hit he would be sitting at home. No place for this in the game.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1zp7cg1d said:
CodeWarrior":1zp7cg1d said:
Bennett's penalty may be "dumb," but its par for the course. Goal #1 on a change of possession is obviously advancing the ball as far as possible, goal #1A is blowing up the QB. I'll take an unnecessary roughness if it sufficiently rattles the QB. Maybe I'm just a neanderthal.
First hit, fine & dandy, second hit though?, all he did is kill an extremely good run back by Earl Thomas for great field position (maybe 4 more >Game Winning< points)
But even that isn't the end of making a stupid play like that, because all he really succeeded in doing, was make the Officials throw the yellow flag on the field, and raise red flags in the minds of the Referees for the rest of the game.
God knows that they don't need to divert their attention away from calling a fair game, but it's plays like that, that does exactly that.

Thought his first hit was a block in the back which would even make that a no no. By the time he made contact with Dalton Earl already had possession of the ball.

Rocket

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":39xm2s4a said:
LymonHawk":39xm2s4a said:
sc85sis":39xm2s4a said:
He tackled him and then re-tackled him. The second tackle was completely unnecessary and directly led to both the penalty and fine.

This! Second hit was truly stupid.
Exactly. This team needs to eliminate stupid crap like what MB pulled.
Fourthed... what they said.

Hawks46

Reaction score
pmedic920":1slyej3s said:
When I initially saw the play, I was all for it.
Didn't notice at first that it was Dalton or how out of line it was.
Now that I've seen it again, a couple times, I can't disagree with the fine.
If somebody else had done that to our guy, I'd be pissed.

This is really it right here.

If Cincy had done this to Russell Wilson, EVERY single person on this forum would've wanted the guy ejected. At the very least they'd want a flag and want him fined.

I don't mind an initial big hit. I like trying to rattle their QB. Bennett went beyond a savvy play and got stupid. The problem is, Bennett has also made it very public he's unhappy with QB's special treatment and large salaries. It should be no mystery to him why he got fined.

chris98251

Reaction score
Just remember Darnell Dockett on Hass that wasn't called.

Seemed to piss off a bunch then.

RiverDog

Reaction score
LymonHawk":py3vi9jd said:
sc85sis":py3vi9jd said:
He tackled him and then re-tackled him. The second tackle was completely unnecessary and directly led to both the penalty and fine.

This! Second hit was truly stupid.

Count me in with these takes. The penalty occurred well away from the play and there was absolutely no reason for Bennett to hit Dalton a second time. That stupid penalty cost us something like 50 yards in field position. He deserved the penalty and the fine. Bennett was whining because the refs protect quarterbacks more than they do linemen. Well, no chit, Exlax! What planet have you been playing on, Mars or Pluto?

I am getting sick and tired of Michael Bennett. I used to like the guy as he holds himself very well in interviews and seemed to be a good guy. But his penalties are maddening. There was one time last season, at Arizona, where Bennett lined up offside not once, but twice in successive plays! I haven't looked it up, but my impression is that he has to be directly responsible for about a quarter of our penalties this season. And the guy has the gall to complain about his contract, an agreement he signed just a year ago.

reinelt12

Reaction score
Didn't Clay Matthews obliterate Wilson last year in similar circumstances?

peppersjap

Reaction score
It was a very dirty play but even leaving that out of the picture how out of control is this guy when he does something that ridiculous when someone like Earl Thomas has the ball in the open field. Is he even thinking team or is it all about the contract. He is a superior talent but his attitude has been the 1st thing dragging this team down ( and he seems a bit mental) with renegotiating talks. I was a huge fan but that has been fading and after watching his treatment of Andy Dalton I think he is an "all about me" player. I can't imagine how people would react if someone did that to Wilson. I will still cheer for him as long as he is in a Seahawk uniform but as good as he is I won't be sad to see him take his ridiculous act somewhere else.

Rob12

Reaction score
I love Michael Bennett. With that said, this player does not deserve a raise. His mental lapses cost this team frequently.

I don't feel bad that he has to write a $20K check to Roger.

Seafan

Reaction score
Wish the fine was higher. His stupid penalties are hurting the team. The rest of the defense and his coaches need to make him more accountable.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
JesterHawk":2y5oetcu said:
If I remember the play live, the second hit should have been OK as Dalton was getting up and Bennett was a blocker for Earl's run. It was the THIRD hit where Bennett dove on Dalton on the ground that was too much.

This. The first hit was fine. The second hit was borderline, but Dalton was back on his feet and fair game. That hit might have resulted in a stern word from the officials, but no flag or fine.

It was the third hit where Dalton is clearly on the ground and Bennett dives on top of him, aims to push Dalton's head into the ground, then proceeds to lay on top of him while Dalton tries to get up that drew the flag and fine.

[vine]e0EnhnWVq0m[/vine]

[vine]eEzvh5rIuT9[/vine]

I'm so sick of Bennett, his antics, and his stupid penalties. He makes great plays now and again, and generally gives an awesome interview, but he costs us more during critical portions of the game with stupid penalties like this and lining up in the neutral zone than he gives us in positive plays like the forced fumble. It is getting to the point where the negative plays outweigh the positive, especially when considering the timing of his penalties. I wouldn't be disappointed to see him traded away.

- bsd