Michael Bennett retires

KinesProf

Reaction score
poly1274":1umpwb2g said:
Spin Doctor":1umpwb2g said:
poly1274":1umpwb2g said:
Sgt. Largent":1umpwb2g said:
Like Sherman and Earl, the shenanigans was part of what made Bennett great. He needed that controversy and chip on his shoulder to fuel him.

On the negative side, also like Sherm and Earl it's what led to Bennett's departure.

Dude balled out and was one of the key leaders on one of the greatest defenses of all time, so I've got nothing but love for Mikey B.

There's a big difference between Earl/Bennett and Sherman.

Sherman is not even a great CB. Just an average Corner.

Bennett was good and worked hard. Just money hungry since he was undrafted, and didn't earn that much until he got his second contract extension with Seattle.

Also he got traded because of his big mouth, but regardless he was a great DE in Seattle.
Sherman an average CB? You're joking right?

If six pro-bowl appearances and three first team all-pro selections is your definition of average you need to get your eyes examined. In fact the only years he didn't make probowl were his rookie season, which arguably he was snubbed. He was elite by every metric. He didn't start right away either. The other years he wasn't selected were due to injury and injury recovery. He busted his achilles tendon in 2017. That injury takes time to recover from, and it showed in 2018 where he obviously wasn't an elite CB, just decent. In 2019 on the other hand, Sherman once again looked like the member of the LOB. He was a second team all-pro, and he arguably got snubbed for that position. PFF for example gave him the highest rating of any CB and put him on their own all-pro team.

If this is average, I want more average on the Seahawks.

@ Sgt. Largent many INT doesn't mean they are a great corner/safety.
Probowl means nothing in my book.

If not production and accolades, on what basis do you, poly, judge a player?

Sherm is going to be in the Hall of Fame, and made the 2010's all-decade team.

poly1274

Reaction score
I guess it's only me that views him as an average Corner.

I remember him getting torched by OBJ/ Victor Cruz/Bucjs
Also against Roddy White. That 47 yard TD. Also getting burned by Julio Jones
Or against Brandon Marshall ( When he was with the bears)
TY Hilton, or even against a scrub WR like Britt.

"If not production and accolades, on what basis do you, poly, judge a player?"

He keeps guarding the left side of the field, He doesn't cover against Star WR"s, or he doesn't try to shut down when their opposing WR is killing it.

I'll put him in active Top 20 CB but def not top 15 or 10.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I want to remember him as the guy riding around on the police bike but I just cant forget the numerous lazy offsides and lying about getting beat up by the cops. He was a piece of the dominant defense that helped win the trophy.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
poly1274":h4p6017k said:
He keeps guarding the left side of the field, He doesn't cover against Star WR"s, or he doesn't try to shut down when their opposing WR is killing it.

I'll put him in active Top 20 CB but def not top 15 or 10.

Guarded the left side so well he's going to the HOF. Remember when Aaron Rodgers wouldnt even throw to the left side of the field because of Sherman? You probably dont.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
poly1274":3uddumll said:
Spin Doctor":3uddumll said:
poly1274":3uddumll said:
Sgt. Largent":3uddumll said:
Like Sherman and Earl, the shenanigans was part of what made Bennett great. He needed that controversy and chip on his shoulder to fuel him.

On the negative side, also like Sherm and Earl it's what led to Bennett's departure.

Dude balled out and was one of the key leaders on one of the greatest defenses of all time, so I've got nothing but love for Mikey B.

Bennett was good and worked hard. Just money hungry since he was undrafted, and didn't earn that much until he got his second contract extension with Seattle.

Also he got traded because of his big mouth, but regardless he was a great DE in Seattle.

If six pro-bowl appearances and three first team all-pro selections is your definition of average you need to get your eyes examined. In fact the only years he didn't make probowl were his rookie season, which arguably he was snubbed. He was elite by every metric. He didn't start right away either. The other years he wasn't selected were due to injury and injury recovery. He busted his achilles tendon in 2017. That injury takes time to recover from, and it showed in 2018 where he obviously wasn't an elite CB, just decent. In 2019 on the other hand, Sherman once again looked like the member of the LOB. He was a second team all-pro, and he arguably got snubbed for that position. PFF for example gave him the highest rating of any CB and put him on their own all-pro team.

2013-2016 Seattle had a good pass rush, and that helped average corner's such as Sherman and Maxwell out. With an average Pass Rush, They wouldn't stand out at all. 2018 Sherman was worse than average, without Bosa and Ford.
You're delusional. In every year Sherman has played he's rated extremely high by PFF's metrics, by QB rating when thrown to, TD's given up and he is one of the active leaders in INTs. What more do you want? All of this was done while playing isolated on an island.

As far pass rush goes the Seahawks weren't even top 5 in sacks that season nor where they top five in pressures in 2013, they were rated 8th. In 2014 the Seahawks actually were rated as 19th in overall pressures and 20th in sacks. In 2015 we were 15th in sacks.... The Seahawks pass rush has never been particularly elite underneath Pete Carroll. Your argument falls flat here. In addition to this often times Kam Chancellor was playing far up on the LOS as an extra linebacker. This means Sherman was often on an island all by himself, while Thomas shaded towards Browner or Maxwells side. There was a lot of responsibility placed on Shermans shoulders in our defensive scheme. He is a huge reason why our scheme worked as well as it did. He effectively cut the field in half with what he did.

You can hate the man for his trash talk all you want, but you cannot deny his abilities. He's now succeeded in multiple schemes, and even in his off years he was a top 10 CB in the NFL. EVEN in the season that he was recovering from one of the worst sports injuries, an injury that many don't come back from he still rated very high. He was an intrical part of the Seahawks defense, and without him I doubt we win that Superbowl.

poly1274

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1xi2ejg1 said:
poly1274":1xi2ejg1 said:
Spin Doctor":1xi2ejg1 said:
poly1274":1xi2ejg1 said:

2013-2016 Seattle had a good pass rush, and that helped average corner's such as Sherman and Maxwell out. With an average Pass Rush, They wouldn't stand out at all. 2018 Sherman was worse than average, without Bosa and Ford.
You're delusional. In every year Sherman has played he's rated extremely high by PFF's metrics, by QB rating when thrown to, TD's given up and he is one of the active leaders in INTs. What more do you want? All of this was done while playing isolated on an island.

As far pass rush goes the Seahawks weren't even top 5 in sacks that season nor where they top five in pressures in 2013, they were rated 8th. In 2014 the Seahawks actually were rated as 19th in overall pressures and 20th in sacks. In 2015 we were 15th in sacks.... The Seahawks pass rush has never been particularly elite underneath Pete Carroll. Your argument falls flat here. In addition to this often times Kam Chancellor was playing far up on the LOS as an extra linebacker. This means Sherman was often on an island all by himself, while Thomas shaded towards Browner or Maxwells side. There was a lot of responsibility placed on Shermans shoulders in our defensive scheme. He is a huge reason why our scheme worked as well as it did. He effectively cut the field in half with what he did.

You can hate the man for his trash talk all you want, but you cannot deny his abilities. He's now succeeded in multiple schemes, and even in his off years he was a top 10 CB in the NFL. EVEN in the season that he was recovering from one of the worst sports injuries, an injury that many don't come back from he still rated very high. He was an intrical part of the Seahawks defense, and without him I doubt we win that Superbowl.

PFF............ Stop
Even NFL players say PFF is full of bullsh!@

Pass rush doesn't only mean sacking the QB. There's no stat system that shows how much the QB was pressured.
With Cliff on 1 side and Bennett (Even when Chris Clemons) was on the other side, I'm sure because of them, our Deffense improved a lot. As I said when Sherman played in his first year with the niners and they didn't had Bosa or Ford, he was average. Marcus Peters was an average corner, now he's elite? Lol.

I'll say Sherman is top 20 yearly not top 10,

And also for the guy's who thinks it's efficent for Sherman to be paid up with #3 #4 WR's, the HC/OC ain't stupid. It helps the offence out when you paid up their weak WR's against their opposing top WR's.

BigMeach

Reaction score
My god. The toxicity is real. How does a Michael Bennett retirement post go from reminiscing about Michael Bennett and (what it should be about) saying good bye and good luck... to an argument over Sherman as a corner. Make a post about that if you want to discuss it.

Let's get this back on track.

Goodbye Mike B. You did some weird stuff but I loved you for being you. You were one hell of a player and in my mind will go down as one of the greatest to put on a Hawks uniform. Even with the offsides penalties ;)

poly1274

Reaction score
+1 to the Poster above me.

And I'm thankful that when he came back to Seattle after TB, he took a big paycut. TB offered him more $$

toffee

Reaction score
In hint sight, if Bennett gets along with Pete better, and willing to sign a longer term deal for less money, he will still.be playing this season with the Hawks.

And the Hawks would have been better last year with him.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
poly1274":3uuz383w said:

And I'm thankful that when he came back to Seattle after TB, he took a big paycut. TB offered him more $$
What are you +1ing that post for? You're the one who turned this thread into a commentary about Richard Sherman's merits as a player. Someone compared Bennett's mentality as a player to Sherman and Earl. You then made the absurd statement of "Sherman is just an average CB" and turned a statement about Bennett's mentality to an OPINION on Sherman's skill as a player. An OPINION that is wrong by the way, and runs contrary to objective reality.

The statistics say he's elite, the accolades that he's elite, organizations that track more football metrics than your base stats such as PFF and football outsiders says he's elite, all of which I've been over. Your only rebuttal is "PFF bad", "pass rush good". Your opinion is just that, an opinion. This is not grounded in objective reality or fact, you have not provided anything a modicum of data to support your claim.

If you're going to make a statement such as "Sherman is an average CB" expect to get called out over it. If you can't provide data other than a couple outliers then you've really got nothing. Those outliers by the way may not necessarily be Shermans fault. Without knowing coverage assignments, and actually going back to see who those receivers were matched up on in any given play -- especially if Sherman was playing zone coverage.

Now, has Sherman had a few bad games? Sure? You know who else has had bad games? Every person that has ever thrown on an NFL uniform. Even all time greats have had atrocious games at one time or another even in their prime. What separates the wheat from the chaff is consistency. Sherman constantly has outperformed most of his peers if we look at things through the lens of objectivitive measures. You can't explain that away by yelling pass rush.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
toffee":21j9ia5m said:
In hint sight, if Bennett gets along with Pete better, and willing to sign a longer term deal for less money, he will still.be playing this season with the Hawks.

Loved him as a player for the Hawks, but when he made comments like how Pete's message had gotten old and he was reading a book cause he had heard it all before, well how does that set a good example for the younger guys? I think they had no choice but to part ways. Unless of course Bennett was just making a joke about reading and he never actually did that.

poly1274

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2dx2k1vu said:
poly1274":2dx2k1vu said:

What are you +1ing that post for? You're the one who turned this thread into a commentary about Richard Sherman's merits as a player. Someone compared Bennett's mentality as a player to Sherman and Earl. You then made the absurd statement of "Sherman is just an average CB" and turned a statement about Bennett's mentality to an OPINION on Sherman's skill as a player. An OPINION that is wrong by the way, and runs contrary to objective reality.

The statistics say he's elite, the accolades that he's elite, organizations that track more football metrics than your base stats such as PFF and football outsiders says he's elite, all of which I've been over. Your only rebuttal is "PFF bad", "pass rush good". Your opinion is just that, an opinion. This is not grounded in objective reality or fact, you have not provided anything a modicum of data to support your claim.

If you're going to make a statement such as "Sherman is an average CB" expect to get called out over it. If you can't provide data other than a couple outliers then you've really got nothing. Those outliers by the way may not necessarily be Shermans fault. Without knowing coverage assignments, and actually going back to see who those receivers were matched up on in any given play -- especially if Sherman was playing zone coverage.

Now, has Sherman had a few bad games? Sure? You know who else has had bad games? Every person that has ever thrown on an NFL uniform. Even all time greats have had atrocious games at one time or another even in their prime. What separates the wheat from the chaff is consistency. Sherman constantly has outperformed most of his peers if we look at things through the lens of objectivitive measures. You can't explain that away by yelling pass rush.

"Like Sherman and Earl, the shenanigans was part of what made Bennett great. He needed that controversy and chip on his shoulder to fuel him."

Did I post that? No I didn't because that's false. Bennett was great when he was in his last season as TB. He never had any controversy when he re-signed with Seattle and never did anything bad until PC lost the team.

"It’s hard to assess Sherman — partly because he’s not always going up against the best wide receivers. He generally lines up on the same side of the defense no matter where the team’s top opposing wide receiver happens to be. And he’s been criticized for this by fellow players, including by arguably the greatest cover cornerback ever, Deion Sanders."

2016 season :He was also ranked 21st by his peers on the NFL Top 100 Players of 2017.[98] Pro Football Focus gave Sherman an overall grade of 84.6, which ranked 13th among all qualifying cornerbacks in 2016.[99]

2017 season: . Sherman received an overall grade of 82.7 from Pro Football Focus, which ranked 33rd among all qualifying cornerbacks in 2017.[49] Despite only playing nine games, he was ranked 64th by his peers on the NFL Top 100 Players of 2018.[

2018 season: 2018 49ers 68.9 (PFF Grade) 51/125 (PFF Grade rank)

and 2019 he's #1. Because of that ridiculous 49ers DL.

toffee

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":1sk1nk1q said:
toffee":1sk1nk1q said:

Loved him as a player for the Hawks, but when he made comments like how Pete's message had gotten old and he was reading a book cause he had heard it all before, well how does that set a good example for the younger guys? I think they had no choice but to part ways. Unless of course Bennett was just making a joke about reading and he never actually did that.
Bennett would have made similar money by signing a team friendly long term deal with the Hawks. He wouldn't have to go from team to team like an unwanted merchandise,
he would still be playing this season and cheered on by the 12s.