Michael Bowie - a turning point for the offensive line.

Jville

Reaction score
Michael Bowie - a turning point for the offensive line.

Much of fan speculation surrounding drafting and talent recruitment is tied to what is measurable. When too much demand for a favorite profile starts to chase a limited supply, adjustments must be made to rectify supply shortfalls.

Michael Bowie was a big natural sized kid with long arms that Okung helped recruit as a replacement for him at Oklahoma State. Unsurprisingly, Bowie was drafted in the 7th round (with the assistance of red flags) by the Seahawks. He was presented to fans as the prospective replacement for James Carpenter, a huge and long arm tackle that was moved to left guard. When Bowie, who was a conditioning disappoint, hurt his shoulder in his second year, he had to clear waivers with an injury designation before he could be placed on the Seahawks injured reserve list. Cleveland swooped in, claimed Bowie and moved him to their injured reserve for future development. What followed was something of a spectacle with the Browns and Seahawks monitoring each others waiver line and raiding each others practice squad as well as the practice squad of others.

I think the acknowledged shoulder problems of Russell Okung as well as the suspected shoulder injuries to Jame Carpenter reinforce the loss of Bowie as an object lesson. Exceptionally long arms place more torque on shoulders. That coupled with conditioning issues and interruptions can generate additive risks. And of course, there are the added risks associated with excessive weight and insufficient flexibility to be acknowledge.

Giving up an inch or two in arm length and/or ten -- thirty excessive pounds is acceptable if it can be compensated for with other assets. Offensive linemen with good work habits as well as quicker and better hands, feet, and/or flexibility appear to be a more readily available. That was certainly reflected in the two cuts that were made 48 hours after the three day rookie camp. And, it appears to be better reflected in the current roster of the offensive linemen.

In a league that covets massive and long armed power linemen, It is hard to find, develop and retain them .... especially with so many teams fighting over a league wide shortage. Although I pointed to the loss of Michael Bowie as the turning point, the four years of James Carpenter in a zone scheme followed by his departure to a power based scheme probably does a better job of framing the need to lean more toward a Alex Gibbs style linemen. After all, the motivation and driving force behind using the zone scheme is that it works with more readily available and athletic linemen.

Better conditioning and endurance. Better body flexibility and resilience. Better speed and strength commonality. Better synchronization and chemistry. And, better line continuity and survivability appears to have emerged as goals for 2015.

Two thousand fifteen promises to be a most interesting training camp.

Go Hawks.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Bowie is an example of how if you show up out of shape you can lose your job. Apparently, Alvin Bailey took that lesson to heart and reported significantly more fit this offseason.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Interesting that Ryan Seymour resurfaced for 2015 in Cleveland by way of San Francisco as a guard prospect. Ryan was the second of three prospects that Seattle draft in 2013 that is now in Cleveland. Apparently they continue to show a liking for Seahawk projects.

The third 2013 drafted lineman Jared Smith, aka Fat Rabbit, has resurfaced in Atlanta. Apparently, he has recovered from his knee injury sufficiently enough to give it another go with Dan Quinn's outfit.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
kobebryant":jrefw27m said:
Bowie is an example of how if you show up out of shape you can lose your job. Apparently, Alvin Bailey took that lesson to heart and reported significantly more fit this offseason.

_rm25186_0.jpg

Looking good #78

Seafan

Reaction score
It makes you wonder if Cleveland will be poaching our young guys this season.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me. Cleveland cut an injured center lose with an injury settlement today. Seattle picked up center Patrick Lewis off the Browns practice squad last year. And, I would just about bet they already have Tom Cable's conversion project Kristjan Sokoli (#67) at center on their radar.

_rm25593.jpg

The young man looks powerful. Compare his calves to those of his team mates below.

_rm25275_0.jpg

The experienced Lemuel Jeanpierre below is surely on the radar of other teams .... at center.
_rm25046_0.jpg

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Seafan":2cfycrs0 said:
It makes you wonder if Cleveland will be poaching our young guys this season.

You called it. And it didn't take all that long.Browns claim Tory Slater on waivers >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.fieldgulls.com/2015/6/3/8722793/browns-claim-tory-slater-on-waivers[/urltargetblank]

Now, we'll have to see if he catches on in Cleveland, who have made it a habit of poaching Seattle's waiver wire. Slater joins Michael Bowie and Ryan Seymour with the Browns, and former Seahawks that Cleveland's taken a look at include Phil Bates and Kiero Small.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Excellent post.

I've been trying to figure out what Tom Cable has been up to, and i think it's this, he's been experimenting with an idea that he's had in his head for a long time.

Now this is strictly my speculation, but I'll bet he's been thinking for years that getting bruisers to replace small, athletic linemen in the Zone Blocking Scheme might be a good idea. The best of both worlds. Well now he's in a position of influence when it comes to drafting players and he's tried his experiment. And it failed.

So here we are in 2015 and he's leaning back towards athleticism with a bit of a hold over in Bailey.

I don't know this for sure, but I got the impression that Patrick Lewis was more mobile and athletic than LMJ and have a feeling that he will be our new starting Center this year.

I believe our offensive line has been in flux for way too long and that from now on, we will have players that will produce consistency, that will be there play in and play out, game in and game out. We aren't going to have Marshawn Lynch forever and it will be really nice to see the same people in the same spots for most of the games this year. That's something that we haven't seen in a decade.

I think that's one of the things that made Unger expendable, injuries. Here's to an offensive line that gets to know each other and limits breakdowns in blocking. Here's to a line that doesn't get Lynch and Wilson hit a split second after the ball is snapped. :thirishdrinkers:

hawknation2015

Reaction score
ivotuk":dkaezh2u said:
I don't know this for sure, but I got the impression that Patrick Lewis was more mobile and athletic than LMJ and have a feeling that he will be our new starting Center this year.

Patrick Lewis is a better run blocker than Jeanpierre; that was most on display in the blowout over Arizona in Week 16 when Lewis took over for Jeanpierre as starter.

However, Lewis is pretty slow footed and probably the single worst overall athlete on the team, looking at pure measurables.

Patrick Lewis
6’1”/311 lbs
Pro Day:
40 yard: 5.28 (slowest time I could find on the roster)
20 yard: 3.04
10 yard: 1.84
Vertical: 29
Broad: 96”
Shuttle: 4.93
3-cone: 8.01

Jeanpierre is kind of an unfair comparison actually because he is unusually quick for an offensive lineman -- tied with Sweezy for fastest three-cone time (7.40) among the non-rookie linemen. Unger had a 7.39 three-cone, but is now gone. Sokoli had a ridiculous 7.25, which is insanely agile for a player his size. Other than Lewis, I don't think we have anyone else on the roster with a three-cone time that is over eight seconds.

Edit -- Nevermind, newly signed DT Ahtyba Rubin is slower overall, but also a lot bigger than Lewis. He still managed a slightly better 40 time than Lewis.

Seafan

Reaction score
I think part of the reason we saw Lewis in place of LJP last year was due to football conditioning. It will be interesting to see who and how many centers are on the roster this year. There was a rash of center injuries last season and we were lucky to grab Lewis who was essentially our 4th stringer. If LJP is completely over his neck issue he should be good for the season as the starter.

Cleveland is at it again picking up our latest cast off, Tory Slater. This is going to be there MO all year. We have a lot of depth that they can grab.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
ivotuk":wsb032g1 said:
Excellent post.

I've been trying to figure out what Tom Cable has been up to, and i think it's this, he's been experimenting with an idea that he's had in his head for a long time.

Now this is strictly my speculation, but I'll bet he's been thinking for years that getting bruisers to replace small, athletic linemen in the Zone Blocking Scheme might be a good idea. The best of both worlds. Well now he's in a position of influence when it comes to drafting players and he's tried his experiment. And it failed.

So here we are in 2015 and he's leaning back towards athleticism with a bit of a hold over in Bailey.

I believe our offensive line has been in flux for way too long and that from now on, we will have players that will produce consistency, that will be there play in and play out, game in and game out. We aren't going to have Marshawn Lynch forever and it will be really nice to see the same people in the same spots for most of the games this year. That's something that we haven't seen in a decade.

I think that's one of the things that made Unger expendable, injuries. Here's to an offensive line that gets to know each other and limits breakdowns in blocking. Here's to a line that doesn't get Lynch and Wilson hit a split second after the ball is snapped. :thirishdrinkers:

Alvin Bailey appears to have bought into Cables' new order. He has been credited with dropping a lot of weight and regaining his athleticism. His conditioning is on schedule. So ..... he looks to be a much better fit for 2015.

I enjoyed the play of Patrick Lewis because he presents a unique set of attributes as compared to the other three centers who started in 2014. Patrick carries his advertised 311 pounds on a frame that is a shade under 6'-1". A stout lineman with a low center of gravity, good leg drive, good sand and viable short area quickness. I suspect Cable gathered quite a bit of useful information from a center with Patricks' attributes. I know I did.

However, the center position is really in play for 2015. I believe Cable is already looking beyond Jeanpierre and Lewis. Behind them are a number of athletic projects for consideration as future starters at center. For me, the knee injury to a very athletic Jared Smith (aka Fat Rabbit) was a big disappoint in 2013. His injury represented a lost opportunity for an athletic upgrade at center. In 2015, Kristjan Sokoli now heads up a renewed effort to develop a more athletic center. I am of the notion, that in Cables' zone scheme, an exceptional athlete at center creates serious match up problems for opposing defenses. I would like to see that come to be. And, I think Cable is going for it.

Looking forward to training camp.

Go Hawks!

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the link to the town hall meeting. :th2thumbs: I'm going to set aside some time later today to watch the replay uninterrupted.

I see Cable identified the 5 men he is looking at for center as Jeanpierre, Lewis, Drew Nowak, Will Pericak and Kristjan Sokoli. That group will eventually be narrowed down to a 3 man competition.

I'm going to enjoy the evolution of the 2015 offensive line.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Posting this for resident stat lovers.

Screen Shot 2015 06 04 at 112434 AM0

You want guys that can change direction, that can run, they can jump, they've got explosiveness, and weight room numbers, you know, it gives you some background at least — have they put in the work? Do they have a foundation where they can come into this league and hold their own?" -- Cable

It's from an interesting perspective on what Tom Cable looks for in linemen >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-analysis/2015/6/4/8730879/tom-cable-seahawks-offensive-lineman[/urltargetblank]

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Jville":38m5tni6 said:
Posting this for resident stat lovers.

Screen Shot 2015 06 04 at 112434 AM0

You want guys that can change direction, that can run, they can jump, they've got explosiveness, and weight room numbers, you know, it gives you some background at least — have they put in the work? Do they have a foundation where they can come into this league and hold their own?" -- Cable

It's from an interesting perspective on what Tom Cable looks for in linemen >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-analysis/2015/6/4/8730879/tom-cable-seahawks-offensive-lineman[/urltargetblank]

Thanks for posting this. It's nice to see the OL measurables all together. Both the short shuttle and three-cone agility times for Lewis appear to be abnormally high for this team. On the other hand, Bailey has abnormally good short shuttle and three-cone times for a player of his size.

For me at least, that has shown up when watching these guys during games. Bailey's footspeed looks very good, but he lacks power to finish off blocks. Lewis is just the opposite, with slow footspeed but good power at the point of attack.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
^^^ Yes Lewis kind of stands out in his position group in a way not unlike the manner in which former full back prospect Kiero Small stood out in his position group. They seem to be toying with some exception attributes in the middle. Although I find them interesting and instructive, I think both of them to be a different wrinkle exception to what they building toward.

Bailey tested at 312lbs according to the chart. So his foot speed, athleticism, and balance should be much improved over last year when he was around 350lbs. Bailey should come much closer playing like his numbers from his 312lb workout would suggest ..... when healthy and in condition.

Latest posts