Mike Mayock

bluengreen

Reaction score
Mike Mayock is my favorite announcer. He is one of the most knowledgeable guys out there, he makes sharp observations that actually increase my understanding and enjoyment of the game.

If he called all of the Hawks games I would be happy.

iigakusei

Reaction score
Other than saying we drafted Carpenter to be our starting LT and gushing about Bevell - I agree with you.

Austin Hawk

Reaction score
I agree 100%. Occasionally he makes a mistake, and he always owns up to it, but usually he is dead on in his assessments and I appreciate his candor and insight. Love it when I goes on and on about how much he loves watching Lynch run, or our defense fly to the ball.

tdigitee

Reaction score
I like him a lot - very enjoyable to listen to.

BFS, I know you appreciated it when he dropped the obligatory "are you kidding me?" when talking about the D-line early in the game...

Red Beard

Reaction score
He sucked last night. Consistently calling Browner our safety, acting like play after play was one way and firmly standing behind it, then when the refs come back with the call to reverse it, he acts like he was right the whole time when he thought it was the other way. I hate 99% of announcers though....just have Mack Strong call our games because even if he just gets drunk and sings Firework by Katy Perry, I will thoroughly enjoy it.

Greenhell

Reaction score
Mayock hands down is my fav analyst/announcer/draft guru out there. How many times did he say, "I just love watching the Seattle defense play!"? I'll tell ya. LOTS.

JonRud

Reaction score
I love Nessler & Mayock - I think they are a great team. People have to realize these announcers might do 1 or 2 Seahawks games a year they are going to make some mistakes.

if you went to announce a Lions game next week even if you spent the week preparing you don't think you would call out the wrong player or position once or twice?

I did think Mayock was very bad on the Sidney Rice catch on the sideline which was so clearly a good catch but he wouldn't say it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I say it every Thursday night game, Nessler and Mayock are the best broadcast team on TV, and it's not even close.

Gruden is good, but more in an ironic wtf entertaining way. Mayock is just flat out compelling to listen to.

davidonmi

Reaction score
Mayock is great, very few can diagnose and then describe the previous play like him

bestfightstory

Reaction score
tdigitee":33lin8s9 said:
I like him a lot - very enjoyable to listen to.

BFS, I know you appreciated it when he dropped the obligatory "are you kidding me?" when talking about the D-line early in the game...

Hahaha! I was in a bar with bad volume. Thanks for the update! God that phrase drives me nuts!

v1rotv2

Reaction score
Austin Hawk":1s7z9oe6 said:
I agree 100%. Occasionally he makes a mistake, and he always owns up to it, but usually he is dead on in his assessments and I appreciate his candor and insight. Love it when I goes on and on about how much he loves watching Lynch run, or our defense fly to the ball.

That right there is a major reason I like listening to him. When he screws up he admits it right then and there.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Greenhell":hgj6ouaz said:
Mayock hands down is my fav analyst/announcer/draft guru out there. How many times did he say, "I just love watching the Seattle defense play!"? I'll tell ya. LOTS.

It's hard not to appreciate Mayock's passion for the game, it totally comes through when he's talking. Infectious is the best word I can come up with.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":o76uogsi said:
I say it every Thursday night game, Nessler and Mayock are the best broadcast team on TV, and it's not even close.

Gruden is good, but more in an ironic wtf entertaining way. Mayock is just flat out compelling to listen to.

I agree I love Mayock- He will be forever immortalized by Seahawks fan for his " GET OFF ME! " call on the Beastquake.

I think the Monday night football team of Gruden and Tirico are a joke. Clearly a 2nd string group behind Michaels and Collingsworth.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Mayock does the Notre Dame games on NBC and the ND fans (a notoriously tough-to-please bunch) love him too. He's very, very good. He just needs to try not to have such a quick trigger finger on his calls sometimes. A great example last night was when he chided Rob Housler for hearing footsteps on a crossing route late in the game and not competing for the ball, only for replay to show that Housler went down because he was yanked down by KJ Wright on a pass interference call. To Mayock's credit he acknowledged his mistake, but it was a mistake he didn't need to make if he'd been a bit more patient with his call.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
jlwaters1":bdqzokta said:
I think the Monday night football team of Gruden and Tirico are a joke. Clearly a 2nd string group behind Michaels and Collingsworth.

See Collinsworth bothers me way more than Gruden. He's so plain vanilla when it comes to having an opinion, which is 75% of the color commentator's job. He seems to always take the side of the ref when it comes to calls (especially when one of his beloved WR's get's held).

At least Gruden will say "I didn't like that call at all Mike." Gruden's definitely morphed into a caricature of himself, but he at least has a damn opinion, which makes him entertaining.

aawolf

Reaction score
I liked how he calls it like he sees it on PI calls and doesn't make knee-jerk comments that the refs are right, like most other announcers. If a hold is close, it shouldn't be called, if the CB doesn't hold down the arm, its not PI. I found myself impressed with how he didn't automatically give the refs the benefit of the doubt on calls for and against us.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Yeah he made a lot of mistakes in this game about our players...but overall he was still really good, and normally is very knowledgable about the players.

Latest posts