Mike Pettine: Russell Wilson not quite among top tier of QBs

bigskydoc

Reaction score
HuskerHawk":1kbxvu85 said:
If that's your criteria, Brees has to be elite. Ya, ya, Sean Peyton offensive, but Brees is criminally underrated which I don't completely understand.

Which is exactly why he's not quite on my elite list. For whatever reason, there is still some debate about whether he will ultimately be in the HOF. There is no serious debate about the three elites.

-bsd

Uncle Si

Reaction score
idahohawk":1llbayyt said:
I'm a big Russ fanboy. But if Russ is truly elite, and what we've seen the last 4 or so games is reality, then Pete/Bevell have failed us the 1st half of the season, and much of last season. Either Russ is elite, and has been suppressed due to Pete's "defense wins" philosophy, or he is turning a corner and Pete is not only forced to ride it, but also trusts him more. But the first half of this season was a total #$%^ sandwich and there has to be some accountability. Was it Kam's holdout? OL failures due to Cable's experimentation, forcing it to another high priced free agent, sharing touches with our 12 Million Dollar RB? Not sure. But we can't have it both ways. Either Russ is just starting to crack into the "Elite" level, or if he's been there, the way he's been utilized has been a total fail.

Can't it be all of the above?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
idahohawk":2zjy3fwu said:
I'm a big Russ fanboy. But if Russ is truly elite, and what we've seen the last 4 or so games is reality, then Pete/Bevell have failed us the 1st half of the season, and much of last season. Either Russ is elite, and has been suppressed due to Pete's "defense wins" philosophy, or he is turning a corner and Pete is not only forced to ride it, but also trusts him more. But the first half of this season was a total #$%^ sandwich and there has to be some accountability. Was it Kam's holdout? OL failures due to Cable's experimentation, forcing it to another high priced free agent, sharing touches with our 12 Million Dollar RB? Not sure. But we can't have it both ways. Either Russ is just starting to crack into the "Elite" level, or if he's been there, the way he's been utilized has been a total fail.

Russell is growing and developing into an elite QB. Rodgers did not even start a game until his 4th season.

If you are saying elite QBs cannot have bad games, then what explains the way Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady have been playing recently?

Laloosh

Reaction score
Smellyman":wf8jyfjm said:
Laloosh":wf8jyfjm said:
austinslater25":wf8jyfjm said:
First take surprisingly killed pettine and praised Wilson calling him elite. They've been slow to the party but have to give him credit here.

Didn't see it but I'd take anything they say (positive or negative) with a grain of salt. I'm pretty sure they'd throw their own mothers under the bus for ratings.

No idea why anybody would take them seriously let alone watch it.

I was being gentle.

idahohawk

Reaction score
I guess so, but that is one perfect storm of craptitude. Nonetheless, I began thinking all of this in the Pettine context. I love Russ. Always have, always will. I just don't understand why starting with the NFCCG and XLIX and the first half of this season, Pete and co. had to make this so freaking hard. If lessons were learned and it truly was "all of the above," we should see a pretty great run continued the next few weeks. #GoHawks

Uncle Si":d23v82fv said:
idahohawk":d23v82fv said:

Can't it be all of the above?

idahohawk

Reaction score
No, I'm not trying to say that. But this season is a great example. How many times did the offense have an opportunity to close a game out w/ a 1st down or sustained drive this season? 2 or 3 of the losses? I think the idea of Russ growing into an Elite QB is precisely what I'm getting at. I think that is what we are seeing! It is just funny we didn't see it when he had Baldwin, Lockette, Lockett, Kearse, Lynch, Rawls, Graham, Willson... nah, let's play conservative and lose 4 games early, then let our Elite QB take over so we can scrap for a wild card berth.

Yeah we have become spoiled, I know. Just wondering why it took so long to flush the XLIX vomit from my mouth.

hawknation2015":2n5wwzqt said:
idahohawk":2n5wwzqt said:

Russell is growing and developing into an elite QB. Rodgers did not even start a game until his 4th season.

If you are saying elite QBs cannot have bad games, then what explains the way Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady have been playing recently?

Ozzy

Reaction score
Laloosh":321sgoeq said:
Smellyman":321sgoeq said:
Laloosh":321sgoeq said:
austinslater25":321sgoeq said:
First take surprisingly killed pettine and praised Wilson calling him elite. They've been slow to the party but have to give him credit here.

Didn't see it but I'd take anything they say (positive or negative) with a grain of salt. I'm pretty sure they'd throw their own mothers under the bus for ratings.

No idea why anybody would take them seriously let alone watch it.

I was being gentle.
Haters. I love/hate the show and they are so slow to give the seahawks any credit that I thought it was worth sharing. [emoji8]

Smellyman

Reaction score
idahohawk":1i3mm5vp said:

He is on a really good run and actually has had good runs like this before. 2013 was a close run.

He is second all time passer rating.

He has most comeback wins since he has been in the league.

He set rookie TD recrord.

3rd most TD's through first two season.

Rushing numbers are great.

He was the 16th Best in RUSHING YARDS last year.

He is the most amazing playmaker I have ever seen from a qb.

super bowls

pro bowls

He has been great his whole career and set un precedented records. Elite/not elite however jokers want to quantify it, he has been amazing.

Beginning of year he had Drew freaking Nowak, Britt moved to LG and Gilliam to RT and it was a train wreck. Not to mention a half speed Beast not the same, while trying to work in a bad blocking Graham and Rook in Lockett. Yet a couple of first downs or D doesn't implode they could be undefeated.

Now things are really clicking.

See how mortal Rodgers looks when faced with adversity? is he not elite right now? if RW wasn't first half of the year, Rodgers must not be now? Manning? Brees? even Brady looks mortal and these guys have been in the league for years.

bah

idahohawk

Reaction score
Why did he have to suffer so long with "Drew freaking Nowak" and all the other stuff you mention? That's all I am trying to say.

Smellyman":kg6ylxxr said:
idahohawk":kg6ylxxr said:

He is on a really good run and actually has had good runs like this before. 2013 was a close run.

He is second all time passer rating.

He has most comeback wins since he has been in the league.

He set rookie TD recrord.

3rd most TD's through first two season.

Rushing numbers are great.

He was the 16th Best in RUSHING YARDS last year.

He is the most amazing playmaker I have ever seen from a qb.

super bowls

pro bowls

He has been great his whole career and set un precedented records. Elite/not eleite however jokers want to quantify it, he has been amazing.

Beginning of year he had Drew freaking Nowak, Britt moved to LG and Gilliam to RT and it was a train wreck. Not to mention a half speed Beast not the same, while trying to wokr in a bad blocking Graham and Rook in Lockett. Yet a couple of first downs or D doesn't implode they could be undefeated.

Now things are really clicking.

See how mortal Rodgers looks when faced with adversity? is he not elite right now? if RW wasn't first half, Rodgers must not be now? Manning? Brees? even Brady looks mortal and these guys have been in the league for years.

bah

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Hah, an NFL coach says something that is pretty true, and it sparks a huge debate everywhere. National radio shows were even talking about it.

What Mike Pettine said is true. Russell isn't on the level of a Rodgers, Big Ben or Brady. He is in that next tier along with Cam Newton, Palmer, etc. RW is just too young to be elite. Give it a couple more years and he may be in that category.

And Pettine should know better than to answer that question. Either say he is elite or just brush off the question.

Polaris

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1xg93ccn said:
Hah, an NFL coach says something that is pretty true, and it sparks a huge debate everywhere. National radio shows were even talking about it.

What Mike Pettine said is true. Russell isn't on the level of a Rodgers, Big Ben or Brady. He is in that next tier along with Cam Newton, Palmer, etc. RW is just too young to be elite. Give it a couple more years and he may be in that category.

And Pettine should know better than to answer that question. Either say he is elite or just brush off the question.

Agreed he was a dummy for answering it. It's not that Pettine isn't (arguably) right. It's just you DON'T hand the other team bulletin board position...especially in his position. What I would have said in his place would be something like, "Well, I don't know about that, but he sure has been PLAYING on an elite level for the past few weeks." That doesn't really answer the question, but it sounds nice and complimentary, the reporter yawns, and life goes on.

Rob12

Reaction score
Just enjoy the 40+ this week.

Heck, maybe even a 50 burger.

Just bad timing by Pettine. I don't disagree with him - but you just don't say that when this offense is rolling like it is. Haden is on IR, Johnny has to face our defense, and it's going to get ugly.

This is one game where I hope PC gives the go ahead for the offense to run it up. Pettine should have kept his mouth shut.

fan4life

Reaction score
What defines elite? In my book, a QB's ability to bring his team back from the brink of loss by making great plays when it counts, ie, in the 4th qtr and on final drives -- in addition to engineering long drives that keep the ball out of the hands of the opposing defense at the end of games -- has to be high on the list.

Check the stats - RW is as goods as it gets when it counts. He's been elite since he came into the league, a big part of why the Hawks have made the playoffs -- and advanced to two SBs -- in RWs first 3 years. For his first 3-1/2 years, he's worked for a coach who directed his OC to not put pressure on his QB to make plays, ie, to rely on the running game and defense, until absolutely needed.

Well, the later part of this year, RW's ability to make plays has been needed from the beginning of games until the last snaps. And he's proven himself capable of carrying an offense. If it weren't for the fact that he's 5'10" -- the ONLY reason he wasn't drafted in the first round -- he'd have been lauded as a phenom much earlier.

It's about time.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":14101hi3 said:

You should know better than to bring logic and reason into this forum.

Here we like to burn forums down with righteous indignation and take offense with anyone that says anything derogatory about our team..............unless it's us, then we can create 10 page threads about Ciara and how she's ruined Russell.

Mick063

Reaction score
Nobody (within the organization) has to answer for crap. Nobody has to be held accountable for anything.

Russell got better. The offensive line got better. Bevel/Cable got better. It really is that simple.

They more than survived a season without their bell cow RB, found a new, young one for the future, and meanwhile, transcended their games (perhaps forced to with Lynch not being the Lynch of years past for almost the entire season).

Sheesh I hate this never ending "deeper meaning" bull####.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/TheGeeScott/status/677954046842396673[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/profootballtalk/status/677950599162408960[/tweet]

Twelver

Reaction score
If not for low # of pass attempts in this offense, people would have been praising him long ago. So simple minded it's pathetic. Or maybe they will latch onto any idea of a Seattle weakness.

Twelver

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1lbxjh8i said:
FlyHawksFly":1lbxjh8i said:
IndyHawk":1lbxjh8i said:
I think a HC in the NFL knows more about the game and players than we all do.So he says RW isn't in the top 4 quite yet.It means he's right after guys that have had many more years experience.I'd say that is fair,it doesn't mean RW won't be in the top 4 in a year or two.I think the guy had it right.

You do realize RW is outplaying all of those guys, right now? No need to wait a year or two.
Yes he has been for the last 4 weeks but for all year?Not yet His time in the top 4 is coming soon.

Wilson has highest passer rating on the whole season. #3 in comp. %. #2 in YPA. Leads the leagues #5 offense. That is without question Elite. Not even arguable.

Ozzy

Reaction score
True yet people will still argue their way around it.

Latest posts